How to improve your grammar?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Nur syazwani
Bookshelf Size: 0

How to improve your grammar?

Post by Nur syazwani »

Hey alls!

Well, I have been speaking english since I was like 7Years old. I am not an american or and English person. I am asian. I do take English literature during my high school days and surpisingly I got an A for that subject. I can speak english very well and understand every aspect of conversing or reading in english. However, what really bugs me until now is that my grammar is absolutely horrible. Any one kind enough to help me improve on it? Feedbacks are welcomed :)

Yours sincerely,
Nur syazwani :
kennyhop
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennyhop.html

Post by kennyhop »

I'd love to help !
Ursula_Minor
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ursula-minor.html
Latest Review: "The Hidden Planet" by Rob Chicken

Post by Ursula_Minor »

Improving grammar can be difficult, but is definitely possible! You can try reading more, and reading outside of the genres you normally select; you'll absorb more about grammar and sentence structure if you're paying more attention. I also recommend hiring a writing tutor. They can be costly (most charge $20/hour, at minimum), but one on one tutoring with an expert will also help you improve much faster.
Best of luck!
callsign: unknown
Latest Review: "The Hidden Planet" by Rob Chicken
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

I'd simply recommend striking up a written correspondence with someone who is willing to be pedantic and point out all the mistakes you make and then offer corrections. This way, you learn how to apply what you learn with each response, as well as making a friend. The problem with English, however, is that there are more exceptions than rules, so it can be very difficult to master any one aspect.
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
TarinaJ
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Ophelia's Muse</a>
Currently Reading: Counting Stars
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarinaj.html
Latest Review: "People Centricity" by Stephen Hewett
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 6

Post by TarinaJ »

If you have the opportunity to take a writing or research class in college/university this can also help you improve your grammar and writing style (maybe you can audit one if you don't have to take it for a degree plan). In my experience, most colleges use either the MLA or APA standard, both of which have online resources. A great online resource, which has information for both MLA and APA, is Purdue University's Online Writing Lab found here: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/683/1/.

Hope that helps you get started!
Latest Review: "People Centricity" by Stephen Hewett
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I recently read a book that was set in India, and the language and grammar of the book is what we would usually term incorrect. However, in India itself everybody talks like that, so they would not find it wrong. What would the rules be there, where English seems to have morphed to suit their people?

I think the best thing to improve your language and grammar is to read a lot of books. This is how your grammar will improve. However, to improve your accent you will need to watch more English programs.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Pankaj554

Post by Pankaj554 »

To improve your our English grammar. You must have basic knowledge about grammar such as Part of Speech,Tense,word power,Narration,Voice and these are most important points to improve your grammar.

Choose the most appropriate words for your purpose and use them correctly.
Write good, clear, and interesting sentences and paragraphs.
Ensure that your writing reads well and 'flows'.
Decipher difficult texts, understand the questions and then reply
babika1962
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-babika1962.html
Latest Review: "Eros of the Senses" by Ada Ardor

Post by babika1962 »

I believe the best way to improve your grammar is to read books. This was the best advice my cousin, who came to this country as an adult, was given by her ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher. Books teach sentence structure, grammar, punctuation as well as slang words. My cousin began reading books for pre-schoolers before moving on to early reader "chapter books", and so on but after 20 years, her vocabulary and grammar are very good.

For improving diction and enunciation, there are audio books.
Latest Review: "Eros of the Senses" by Ada Ardor
Pankaj554

Post by Pankaj554 »

Ya I agree with Mr babika1962, but in the case of writing grammar is most important. So to improve your grammar, People should first go through basic grammar and do these activity which is given below.
Search the Internet for more information and opportunities to practice your skills
Practise whenever and wherever you can
Discover what troubles you
joanofarc2015
Favorite Author: J.K Rowling
Currently Reading: War and Peace
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joanofarc2015.html
Latest Review: "Philia and Sophia : The book of love and wisdom" by nikitha hingad

Post by joanofarc2015 »

one great way to improve grammar is quizzes and drills. u can find a lot of grammar exercises online and spend ur extra time testing yourself ;) u should also make it a point to clarify grammar facts, my fav grammar go to is celce-murcia, the author has heavy books but 100% credible
Latest Review: "Philia and Sophia : The book of love and wisdom" by nikitha hingad
j p gilbert
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-p-gilbert.html
Latest Review: "An ABC of Prostate Cancer in 2015" by Alan G Lawrenson
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by j p gilbert »

Grammar is a difficult skill to master, but it is a skill. The old adage springs to mind - practice, practice, practice.

I'm lucky. I have a 10 year old who picks up on everything I say. She pulls me up when I say things wrongly. Admittedly, that is a completely different beast altogether. It does, however, help to keep grammar at the forefront of my mind.
Latest Review: "An ABC of Prostate Cancer in 2015" by Alan G Lawrenson
jamesfcurry

Post by jamesfcurry »

Just study hard and take more practice
mleaasmith

Post by mleaasmith »

English is not my 1st language as well and it took me a lot of time to make it better, I mean not perfect but better than before. When I was High School, I would take 1 to 2 hrs a day to read an English book out loud. Reading a lot really helps and watching tv shows that are in English.
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Post by CzechTigg »

Nur syazwani wrote:Hey alls!

Well, I have been speaking english since I was like 7Years old. I am not an american or and English person. I am asian. I do take English literature during my high school days and surpisingly I got an A for that subject. I can speak english very well and understand every aspect of conversing or reading in english. However, what really bugs me until now is that my grammar is absolutely horrible. Any one kind enough to help me improve on it? Feedbacks are welcomed :)

Yours sincerely,
Nur syazwani :
Hello there. Yes, grammar is pretty important. A lot of one's own proof-reading needs a good grasp of the rules, otherwise the finished product won't be good enough.

I can certainly send you a PM and let you know what to write, when you make an error. Of course, the more mistakes, the more you learn and understand, so enjoy that! :)
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor
book_fiend
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-fiend.html

Post by book_fiend »

Native speakers of English tend to have atrocious grammar because we learned to speak English in primary school without ever learning the grammar rules that accompany the language. It is only those who learned English as a second language that tend to strive to be grammatically accurate. Kind of ironic, isn't it?

Return to “International Grammar”