Official Review: Braineater Jones by Stephen Kozeniewski

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
beebee216
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beebee216.html
Latest Review: "Braineater Jones" by Stephen Kozeniewski
fav_author_id: 2475

Official Review: Braineater Jones by Stephen Kozeniewski

Post by beebee216 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Braineater Jones" by Stephen Kozeniewski.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. Then again when a title includes the word braineater, you know it's going to be good. This hilarious book contained the perfect amount of crime, mystery, and zombies. That's right, zombies. Prior to reading this I hadn't heard of Stephen Kozeniewski, now I can't wait to read more from him! His writing style has all the sarcasm and subtle humor that I absolutely adore.

The book beings with Jones facedown in a pool, unable to recall how he came to be there or even who he is. Maybe it was the gaping bullet holes, or the backwards leg but he knew something was off. Jones was dead. If I woke up dead one day, I'd probably just go back to sleep. Jones however wasn't going to take being dead lying down. He began his investigation into himself almost immediately. Unfortunately, it seemed for every answer he got, the questions he has would double.

Despite all these hardships Jones manages to make a friend. It's just too bad this friend is only a head, so not much help there. To make matters worse, they're both struggling to curb their desire for human flesh. Luckily, they found relief in the cure to all life's problems, alcohol. How hard is it for one flesh eating zombie to get a scotch around here? Turns out it's pretty hard, considering this story takes place during the 1930's with prohibition in full swing. Jones and the head team up to find alcohol, solve Jones's murder and maybe a few P.I cases along the way. Can they stay undead long enough to do this? Grab a copy and find out.

The setting for this book was amazing. The 1930's were a rough time in American history, full of racism and intolerance. It sure didn't help that you couldn't get a stiff drink to cope with it all either. Kozeniewski captured the voice of the 1930's spectacularly. His characters were also expertly crafted, making a zombie seem human is no easy task but Kozeniewski delivered. Kozeniewski exceeded all my expectations in this novel. All in all I have no complaints for this book. It is well worth the time it takes to read.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It's a book about zombies in the 1930's, what more could you possibly want! Looking for a creepy book? Read this. Need a comedy to lift your mood? Read this. Searching for your next zombie fix? Read this. Do you have eyes and want to use them for something? READ THIS. I promise you, you won't be disappointed. Stephen Kozeniewski you are a tremendous writer, and I cannot wait to read all you have to offer.

Braineater Jones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Barnes and Noble | on iTunes

Like beebee216's review? Post a comment saying so!
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying" -Oscar Wilde
Latest Review: "Braineater Jones" by Stephen Kozeniewski
Mike_Lang
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50592">The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid</a>
Currently Reading: Mississippi Noir
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mike-lang.html
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mike_Lang »

Enjoyed your review. I'm not really one for reading about zombies, wizards, witches, vampires (particularly beautiful vampires full of angst) and whatnot but you have convinced me that there just might be room on my reading list for at least one zombie... a zombie P.I. Well done!

-- 30 Oct 2016, 11:07 --

Have finally got around to reading this book. Loving it so far!
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”