Official Review: Survival by John Fahey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Survival by John Fahey

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Survival" by John Fahey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sometimes you come across a book so powerful the words jump off the page and lodge in your heart. The non-fiction memoir Survival: From a Broken Childhood to PhD by John Fahey is one of those books. The author takes a look back at an abusive childhood in post-World War II England, including a four-year idyllic respite living in Ireland with his paternal grandparents. Born illegitimate, his father is pushed to marry his mother when the author is seven months old. Even then, John’s nasty, alcoholic father continues to refer to him as “you bastard” and routinely abuses the entire family physically and verbally. Imagine a child having to read secretly for fear of getting caught and beaten. John loves to read and does exceptionally well in school, gaining entry through an education grant to a highly regarded school. His resilience and determination throughout a dismal childhood of violence and extreme poverty shines through in this story.

I was spellbound by this book. It is an unflinching account of a boyhood filled with fear, violence, avoidance, and, as the author states, “daily apprehension.” John’s recollections are vividly described, including the settings of post-war England with its poor neighborhoods and bombed-out buildings and picturesque rural Ireland. Ireland becomes a magical, promised land as he experiences unconditional love and happiness while living there. That wonderful experience, along with his strong Catholic faith, sustains John during the regular verbal and physical abuse inflicted by his father. The descriptions of his years in Ireland are uplifting while the painful memories of the rest of his childhood are heartbreaking to read. There are no Christmas or birthday presents and the author and his sister Patricia envy the children in a nearby orphanage as they hear the laughter from children playing within; at least, they knew those kids received presents. The one time relatives brought over Christmas gifts, his drunken father threw the presents into the coal fire.

The author’s lyrical writing style is a joy to read. The early sections about Ireland read like a love letter and are particularly heartfelt. The information about his family living in a poor neighborhood, with little money for even basic necessities, is told in a matter-of-fact way. When John is given an education grant to go to a better school five miles away, he is happy about more than receiving a good education; attending the grammar school at St. Mary’s College guarantees him a nourishing meal each day Monday through Friday and a container of milk in the mornings. To understand how much this means to him is to understand how much we take for granted in our daily lives.

John’s small victories and street-smart personality are realistically described. Although John has to turn over his newspaper delivery money to his father, he occasionally uses a portion of his earnings to buy broken biscuits, cookies, and fruit to share with his siblings from the outdoor market. He continues to do this in defiance of his father, who would beat him after finding less than the full wages. His newspaper route and babysitting job for an upper-crust family allow him to see possibilities beyond his harsh life. The babysitting job becomes a safe haven from his father and a quiet place to do his homework.

There is an uplifting tone to the story. Although the memories of a violent, poor childhood are traumatic, there is a sense of a light at the end of the tunnel. John is very motivated to better himself even at a young age. As with other true tales of this type, there are often guardian angels that do acts of kindness. This is certainly the case throughout John’s childhood and teenage years. At different times, there are instances of relatives, policemen, teachers, and average citizens showing concern for John and protecting him from his father.

This book has earned nothing less than 4 out of 4 stars. The author’s ability to rise above his harsh circumstances is truly inspiring and the writing is superb. Of course, readers who enjoy memoirs would like this book, but I would also recommend it to anyone who appreciates excellent writing in a book of any genre. I feel lucky to have read this story and grateful as I realize how much of my own life I take for granted.

Survival
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Excellent review and great opening!

I don't think the book is for me, but I enjoyed reading your review. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Gali! I found the book almost impossible to put down once I started reading. The story really touched me.
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Fantastic review! Your enjoyment of the book really shines throughout. It sounds like John Fahey has a really inspirational story to tell. He could have so easily slipped through the cracks, but instead decided to work his way out of the horrible situation childhood put him in.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks! There are so many little stories in the book about the street smarts the author uses to get through his childhood. I wished that he had been able to stay with his grandparents in Ireland for his entire childhood.
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

The book sounds like a heart-tugger for sure. Nice review, bookowlie!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thank you! The story is so vividly written that I felt like I was watching a movie.
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

You are most welcome! 8)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

rssllue wrote:The book sounds like a heart-tugger for sure. Nice review, bookowlie!
There are so many parts of this book that are inspiring, too many to list in one review. I also didn't want to give away the whole story. Suffice it to say that this is a beyond wonderful book.
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

You make this book sound very compelling. Thank you for the review, bookowlie!
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

anonanemone wrote:You make this book sound very compelling. Thank you for the review, bookowlie!
Thank you! It is my hope that, in some small way, my review will give this book the extra exposure it deserves.
seanfahey
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 51750">the mother tongue</a>
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by seanfahey »

Thank you bookowlie for your wonderful review of my memoir. It gives me encouragement to continue writing my story about my early years in America. Words are not enough to express my appreciation.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

You are most welcome! It was my honor to read your memoir. Your statement "words are not enough" was also what I thought when writing my review. As much as I wrote, it was not enough to express my profound love for your book.
TBrame
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by TBrame »

This book sounds like it is for me. I like to see someone transform through crisis.

Thanks. The review was well written.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks TBrame and welcome to the forums. :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”