Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant, and Four. Any thoughts

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Wizard Magic
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wizard-magic.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Re: Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant, and Four. Any thoughts

Post by Wizard Magic »

The Divergent series was very well written and unique. It was a good mix of romance, dystopia, and adventure. The plot was interesting and unpredictable which made it a thrilling read. The characters were also well created and diverse. I thought the best part of the series was the the romance wasn't completely the center of attention in the plot line. This made the book more realistic and believable even while being fiction. The end of the series was surprising and very well done. While it was not the perfect happy ending it was meaningful and the best ending for the plot line.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
doyle5
Currently Reading: Steelheart
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doyle5.html

Post by doyle5 »

I liked the three original books. I found the book "Four" kind of creepy. I visualization of Four's character was butchered. At least, in the romance sense of his character. It was interesting to see the damage Marcus's abuse did to him and his struggle to be a strong person, even though everyone around him thought of him as strong.
Raven1128
Currently Reading: What's Left of Me
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raven1128.html

Post by Raven1128 »

I loved the first two books of the series but Allegiant just had too much going on. It seemed as if she didn't know where she wanted to go with the story. I didn't really care for the ending either. There were too many loose strings and it was not very clear as to why the experimental society was created in the first place. I was just overall disappointed by the last book.
Tlcangels
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlcangels.html

Post by Tlcangels »

I have read the first in the series and thought it was well done. The female lead, Tris, was a strong figure but also feminine. I like that because women are not weak.
Bookaholic14
Currently Reading: Life and Death
Bookshelf Size: 373
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookaholic14.html
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
Reading Device: B00HNOWHRU

Post by Bookaholic14 »

Keeping in mind the type of book and the target audience, I enjoyed the series. The end of book 3 was completely unexpected. I am very much a fan of the HEA endings, so this one really threw me for a loop. I enjoyed reading Four and getting ore insight into his character, as well as seeing things from his perspective. I found that I had a better understanding of his character and a better appreciation for him, the decisions he made, and how much he had gone through in his life. I find that a second POV often adds to a book, if it is done properly.
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. – Neil Gaiman
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
Malania

Post by Malania »

I really enjoyed this series. It was a fun read.
Dame_Shan
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Dame_Shan »

I enjoyed the plot. It had a "feel" of The Giver in this Utopian apocalyptic setting. The curiosity of what is beyond the wall and the abilities testing relates to The Giver's plot. I thought the word play regarding the test skills and job placement was clever. The five factions—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). Tris secret multiple abilities and the dubious outcome of being found out intrigues the reader. Tris' integrity and moral values moves the protagonist to reveal the injustices in her society. Divergent is a wonderful book for middle teens and older.
jdy
Currently Reading: We Make God Cry
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdy.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by jdy »

I am currently reading the divergent series for the second time. I read them the first time before the movies came out, and as the date should be approaching for the last movie I wanted to remind myself of what happened. I have once again gotten involved in the lives of Tris and Four
Lezer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lezer.html

Post by Lezer »

I loved the divergent series!! To be completely honest I spoiled the ending of allegiant for one of my friends.
zoelaurynn
Currently Reading: My Life on the Road
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoelaurynn.html

Post by zoelaurynn »

I thoroughly enjoyed Divergent. As for Insurgent, however, Tris kinda annoyed me with all of her "selfless/brave" antics. By the third book I was so annoyed with her "heroism" that I wasn't even mad at the ending.
Vallary
Currently Reading: Cornerstone
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vallary.html

Post by Vallary »

I love the series but I hate the ending. I just thought it be different. Like I didn't expect that to happen.
Antanas

Post by Antanas »

It's a good book, however... wrong on one point. You're either have a divergent mind set or you don't. You can't be 5 or 10% divergent. You're either 100% divergent or you're not. How do I know this? Because I'm 100% divergent myself.
Clifora
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clifora.html
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps

Post by Clifora »

I loved Divergent! As in, the first book. The second book, well, made me lose some interest. The third book was quite interesting and I loved the ending! I kept rereading the first book, to me, it was the best in the series. Four was quite interesting as well as I got to see a different Point of View.
“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

— T.S. Eliot
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps
ameno8907
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ameno8907.html

Post by ameno8907 »

For me there are two types of series: ones that make me rip into the rest of the series after the first book and ones that I felt could have ended after the first one. For me Divergent was a series that could have ended after the first one. I loved the first book and thought the idea was interesting but when I got to the end I didn't feel the urge to read the second. I started the second anyway but never got into it.
stephlissa
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephlissa.html

Post by stephlissa »

I don't think that was the author's intention, though - Four was Divergent and had more skill in other areas whereas Tris as a Divergent was kind of a Jack of all trades.

Both of them still tested Divergent when others didn't.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”