How do YOU rate books when reviewing? Your personal thoughts

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Zoe303
Favorite Book: And Then There Were None
Currently Reading: Around the World in Eighty Days
Bookshelf Size: 240

Re: How do YOU rate books when reviewing? Your personal thou

Post by Zoe303 »

A 4-star book has to be perfect, in my own standards of course. A 1-star book is one I really hated or considered a waste of time. My system of rating is quite weird I would say. A book would lose or gain a star depending on its lack of what I love in books or the presence of something I hate. For example, I don't like books with a lot of obscenities, so if it was one it would lose a star. And I love books with suspense, so if it had that it would get a star, and so on.
“Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.” –P.J. O’Rourke
MarieMc
Currently Reading: Host
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariemc.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MarieMc »

I generally give up on a book If I have to rate it a 1. Why torture myself and the author? I think there should be a 5 as well for 'life changing, excellent'. I read a lot of books that I might give a 4 to, because they are really good, but I wouldn't say are life changing. These really good books I kind of hate to say are a 3 because 3 doesn't seem to be an all that good of a rating. It is certainly a dilemma.
Today is a good day
to have GOOD day!!
Patientguy247
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patientguy247.html

Post by Patientguy247 »

I feel that a book review should have 1 to 5 stars with 5 being the life changing review and a 4 being excellent. 3 should be so so. 2 should be not great but maybe others may think otherwise and 1 being horrible. Maybe i am wrong but that makes more sense to me in terms of rating a book.
MatthewAlexander
Currently Reading: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthewalexander.html
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Post by MatthewAlexander »

I understand what you mean...I personally have never given out a four, though I have given ones. When I give a book a one it's usually for a mixture of reasons, not just one specific flaw. For example, many of the ones I've given have been to books that were difficult to read due to the writing style or the technical errors; some books simply should have been given more work before being published. Fours are definitely harder to come by; I'd have to be very touched and blown away by a book to give it a four.
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

Wow, this sure has harboured a lot of interesting discussions. I agree with a lot of what has said w.r.t. the awkwardness of the 4 star rating system, but here is another stick to throw in the spokes. I find that, especially for what we are doing here, the 4 star system actually works out a bit better than a 5 star or other (i.e. letter grade) system the way that it is defined in the guidelines. It removes a bit of ambiguity.
1 = bad, 2 = fair, 3 = good, 4 = excellent); basically if you give it a 3 or a 4 you are recommending others read it, if you give a 1 you are strongly recommended other people do not bother reading it, and if you give it a 2 that's sort of ambiguous since obviously you didn't like it that much but maybe others will.
For me then, 1 means DO NOT READ, 2 means I didn't like it (or it wasn't great) but still has merit, 3 means I liked it, and 4 means I really liked it.

The issues with perfection being unattainable so a four is never given is less an issue to me if we look at it this way. 4 simply means it is a very good book and is well edited. 1 means I wouldn't recommend it at all. 2 and 3 are equally simple. The more letters/numbers/smiley faces we put in a rating system, the less likely we would be to give the top and bottom marks.

My $.02
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

I think I review books in a sinilar way. I never give the book a one unless it was absolutely horrible and I could not finish reading it. Most of them are twos and threes for me too. A book only gets a 4 if it was very well written and kept me interested the whole time or if the concept and plot are something completely original and intriguing. It might be a little harsh, but you're not the only one that does it.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I realized that there is no book that deserves 4 stars. I don't think I would ever give a 4 star rating because every book that I reviewed had a fatal flaw that kept it from getting 4 stars from me.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

I'm a big old softie at heart, so I tend to rather rate up than down. I have very rarely rated a book 1 star, because I always imagine that somewhere is an author whose feelings will get really really hurt. So it truly has to be bad to get such a low rating. I think I stay in the middle ground a lot as well. If the book wasn't exactly my taste, I take into account that someone out there is probably feeling the opposite and might enjoy it.
Cynti
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cynti »

There are few books so bad that I can't even read them. Those would get a 1. Some books are boring, but I read them because I started. Some books I enjoy, but don't feel the need to search for other titles by the same author. The best books almost require that I find other books by that author. I don't think a 5 scale would work for me, but I can see how some people would prefer it.
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay

Post by 1ditzyrn »

I have given a book a one star review, but I had several reasons for doing so. That being said, I still felt really bad about it. I couldn't, however, give it a 2 based on the current system because 2 means "fair" and I would not have classified this book as fair. It's hard to give a low rating to someone when you know they have worked hard on their story, but I feel that we have to be honest with them about our thoughts and how the book made us feel.
zarah_
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zarah.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by zarah_ »

The first time I had to do a review for OBC I was surprised we had to rate a book over 4 instead of the usual 5. For me, as long as I enjoyed it, it was well-written and the story was engaging, I'd automatically give it a 4 over 4. I probably don't give as much thought to ratings as other reviewers, though.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”