Overall Rating and Opinion of "Gone Girl"

Discuss the October 2014 book of the month, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

How do you rate Gone Girl?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
1%
2 stars - fair, okay
10%
3 stars - good, recommend it
34%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
55%

Total votes: 159

BookLover117
Currently Reading: Luckiest Girl Alive
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover117.html

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "Gone Girl"

Post by BookLover117 »

Definitely a 4 out of 4! There is a reason that half the books I see on shelves now try to say that they are the next "Gone Girl". This book had everything that I wanted; suspense, mystery, multiple plot twists. Personally I love the fact that Nick and Amy ended up staying together. It didn't really bother me that Nick didn't get his revenge, because it made the story that much more twisted.
AlishaKennedy
Currently Reading: Frankenstein
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alishakennedy.html
Latest Review: "Campaigns Against the Olden" by Anna Faktorovich

Post by AlishaKennedy »

My overall opinion of Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn was that it was an amazing and well crafted book. I loved how it changed perspectives, and always had you on the edge of your seat. It was definitely a page turner and gets a 4/4 from me. There were many layers to this novel and I felt like I really could get into the character's minds, and really understand the plot. Flynn did a great job of turning what could be considered a "cliche" plot into something much greater. I would most definitely recommend this book to a friend.
Latest Review: "Campaigns Against the Olden" by Anna Faktorovich
niclorax
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by niclorax »

First of all, I am new to this. How do I properly rate this book? Do I just include it in this little write up? Or is there a special button to push? Sorry for my ignorance.

Second. I have recently read Gone Girl and I would probably rate it 3 out of 4 stars. Yes there is misdirection and it is a jump off of a cliche, but I became so frustrated with where it ended up. That may be a reason to rate it higher. The author doesn't give the readers what they want, but rather the author gives the readers a story. That fact does not change that I did not like the ending. The story itself was a great journey and it did take me to unexpected places. It is certainly a book I would recommend to others and the book was definitely worth the read.
BookishB84
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishb84.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BookishB84 »

I resisted reading this for a long time because I wasn't exactly sure what it was about only that everyone was talking about it. When I finally picked it up, I expected to be immediately absorbed and unable to put it down, but that was not the case. The first 150-200 pages I drudged through, thinking, "geez, is this what everyone was so excited about?" But as I read on I realized that all of it was necessary. Towards the end everything picked up and I did stay up all night to finish it because I HAD to know. I came to see that if it hadn't been for all of the mush in the beginning, the end wouldn't have pieced together so fluidly. Psychological thriller is almost an understatement. I cannot say I was pleased with the ending because I guess I had other ideas but alas, it wasn't my story to tell, or edit. Nick may have his flaws but I recently stumbled upon the term "narcissistic mother" and DXXX goes grossly beyond that, as narcissistic wife (soon to be mother?). To the extreme. As far as the plot, I think it was brilliantly written, the build-up and the play-out and the reveal. She executed the unfolding perfectly and you could really tell the thought and time and work put into this book to make everything work. It also causes you to wonder what kind of psycho the author is! LOL
I've noticed with most books like this that get tons of media attention that they either completely live up to the hype, or they fall exaggeratedly short of it.
While I wouldn't say it's one of the greater books of my time, I liked it and enjoyed it and have recommended it several times but I highly doubt I will ever read it again for pleasure.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

I became interested when the movie was coming out and there was heavy promotion of it. So I went ahead and watched it; they drew me in. Then several months later I decided to read the book and now it's one of my very favorites. I think reading the justifications for their mentalities and actions in the book was what made me greater appreciate the story, versus simply watching the film. Definitely my favorite Gillian Flynn novel. I gave it a 4 out of 4.
ashersb
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashersb.html

Post by ashersb »

I have heard nothing but good things about this book. I am fairly confident that i will be putting this in my "want to read" shelf.

My cousin was the first to tell me about this book, and shortly after everyone has been requesting that i read it.

Why did you all seem to like the book so much? Was it wveryrhing you expected or not so much?
Griffey22
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-griffey22.html

Post by Griffey22 »

I loved the book.She did an amazing job of writing. I tell anyone i can to read it and that it will leave them speechless at the end.I give it a rating of 3 out of 4 just for the fact that the ending wasnt what i would have done if i was in Nicks situation.
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by TangledinText »

I love how different this plot was from the normal girl gone crazy and really it was pretty intense the entire book for me because from the beginning I was trying to figure it out so as the story built I kept getting it wrong and getting more wrapped up and involved in the book.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
litmonster
Currently Reading: Library of Souls
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-litmonster.html

Post by litmonster »

I was actually not a huge fan of Gone Girl.

First, I will say that, yes, the multi-layered story was done very nicely. I really do enjoy stories that unfold in such ways, one lens after another to view through until you have it all laid out in front of you. Definitely will say well done by Gillian Flynn for the turns and reviewing of situations from very different perspectives. I will also say that it was admirable at her not shying away from painting such horrendous characters as Nick and Amy; selfishness, arrogance, manipulation, etc. all traits that champion the idea of living as a hermit for the rest of your life.

What I disliked about it perhaps is just my dislike of a book full of characters with such meanness in them. Flynn's other books also have this quality to them, which is further proof that I am just not a fan of Gillian Flynn as an author. I wonder sometimes if she even likes women as human beings, since she seems so overly harsh and critical to her female characters. Though, it could be that I'm also just not used to seeing a book with characters written this way, which is unique to Flynn's voice and style.

I'm sure plenty of people enjoyed it, if this forum has been any evidence, but I could definitely leave it as far as books are concerned. I'm not sure if I would recommend it or not. I didn't feel like I gained much by the experience of reading it other than frustration.
michelle_rn
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by michelle_rn »

I'm so glad I read this post. I have been debating about whether to read the book after seeing the movie so I think its time to check it out!
wali
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by wali »

Gone is one of those books I'm glad I read the book before seeing the movie. Character building was great. Never felt like I was lost in why the character said or did something. Loved the chance to know exactly what she was thinking. ....at least on the surface that is. Page turner to say the least. The writing style wasn't over the top like some books. Some authors don't the reader the courtesy of commonsense which makes the novel ramble for a minute. Not so with this one. Its a winner!
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Post by CzechTigg »

My opinion of the book is yet to be made, but if it is half as good as the film or marginally better it will be pushing for the full 4 stars.
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor
sorpurt
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sorpurt.html
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch

Post by sorpurt »

This book was absolutely amazing! I couldn't put it down. If I didn't need to eat, sleep, or do anything else, I could have read it in one sitting. It was a complete page-turner! Definitely a 4 out of 4 for me.
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Jausten11
Favorite Book: sun also rises
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jausten11.html

Post by Jausten11 »

I enjoyed the different views in the book, from her POV and from his. There were twists and turns that were unexpected. You favor one character then hate them then love them or respect them. The ups and downs that the book takes your emotions is worth the read alone!
Martha Cox
Currently Reading: Pilgrim at Tinker Creek
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martha-cox.html

Post by Martha Cox »

I rate the book 4 stars because it is well written and has lots of plot twists in it. But I was very disappointed in how it ended and mostly disappointed in Nick. I ended up hating both characters in the end.

Return to “"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn”