Lee Child's "The Enemy'

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dnashby
Bookshelf Size: 0

Lee Child's "The Enemy'

Post by dnashby »

Read Lee Child’s ‘The Enemy’ yesterday. Not all of it, I knocked off the first two chapter the day before. While I find Lee Child’s first person and clipped sentences somewhat irritating at times, they guide the story along nicely. The story had four or five suspenseful twists that were to be revealed at or near the end. I had already figured out two before finishing half the story and a third three quarter’s way through. The final suspenseful twist the author didn’t bring into play until the chapter he revealed it. I found myself skimming the parallel story about Reacher’s mother and brother because I wanted to see where the main story was going… to see if I was right. Initially it seemed fodder to me… a way to make a 350 page book become a 450 page book but then I realized the author was trying to explain why Jack Reacher was Jack Reacher. I’m not sure that his readers care why Jack Reacher is Jack Reacher. I don’t. I’m a simpleton reader. Give me a story with grammatical errors with good suspense and I’ll enjoy it.. I want a lot of suspense so I can see if I can figure it out before the suspense is revealed. A little action/violence is good too… Not much of that in Lee Child’s ‘The Enemy’. Over all, I liked the story and I’ll buy/read another of Lee Child’s books.
slogan50
Currently Reading: The Chemist
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by slogan50 »

If you are into crime, suspense, and murder mysteries; the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child are excellent reads. In particular, the first book in the series, "Killing Floor" would be a good place to start. I had to buy the "Killing Floor" with the introduction from the author, Lee Child, which is the copyright 2012 edition that also has an excerpt from "Die Trying"; the second book in the series. I had already read the first book, but then when the introduction from the author was added; I had to buy it because he tells you how he started writing the series. I would love to write a novel someday, so I found it very interesting and informative on how Mr. Child's created this character and became a writer. The movie was good, however, the book is usually always better!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”