Official Review: Barbelo by Riaan Booysen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Official Review: Barbelo by Riaan Booysen

Post by TammyO »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Barbelo" by Riaan Booysen.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Barbelo: The Story of Jesus Christ was written by Riaan Booysen. The book was published by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform. The company is located in North Charleston, South Carolina. Booysen has written another novel entitled Thera and the Exodus. Both books are currently in eBook format and print.

Rian Booysen was raised with Christian beliefs since he was a very young boy. His skepticism concerning Jesus began one day when his minister referenced a text in the Bible that was inaccurate. Since discovering the discrepancy, Booysen has been on a mission to prove that Jesus Christ is indeed a myth and everything that he has been taught is a lie. After extensive research, Booysen lost faith in Jesus Christ and ultimately religion. Booysen touches on controversial topics such as Jesus’ appearance and his relationship with the Apostle John. Was Jesus an unattractive, short creature who was prone to great violence? Were Jesus and John involved in an illicit relationship? Booysen shares his theories on these concepts and so much more.

Barbelo: The Story of Jesus Christ is a very well-written novel. The book can also be used as a reference tool. The author’s attempt to show an alternative way of thinking about Jesus Christ is contentious; however, it is very engrossing. It made me ponder my own beliefs at times. The author’s references are pristine and the bibliography leaves little room for argument. I checked many of the author’s references and resources and they were all accurate. I must point out that I especially appreciated that the author included links. By doing so, it makes it easy for the reader to cross-reference his theories with various scriptures throughout. In this way, the reader never gets confused while reading. The reader also realizes that the author has done extensive research to prove his ideas.

Although Booysen’s novel is interesting, it is not a new one. These ideologies have been written about and discussed extensively in various texts for centuries. Also, Booyen’s opinions are very biased. The author claims that he is not an atheist. Yet, some of his theories are a transparent attack on Christianity. In addition, there were parts in which the author’s repetitive style became to be very distracting. For instance, after discussing a topic thoroughly in one chapter, it is later referenced again in other chapters. This slowed the flow considerably and took away from the overall reading experience.

I did not always agree with Booyen’s theories. But, I enjoyed reading about another perspective on this subject. His research was detailed and well-organized. I am not a theologian, so I cannot say if the author’s theories are right or wrong. Therefore, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I did not give it a 2 star rating because the book is very informative and readers who share Booyen’s agnostic beliefs will enjoy reading this novel. Furthermore, I couldn’t justify giving it the ultimate 4 stars because of the many repeats which was a bit redundant. Also, the author promises the reader an objective viewpoint. However, the book is extremely one-sided. I have read many types of religious texts and scholarly journals. I have also studied religion in search of answers to my own questions. There is more than one way to view religion. Unfortunately, the author missed the opportunity to appeal to all readers.

Overall, this was an interesting book. I would recommend it to open-minded individuals interested in reading about another perspective on the Bible. I would also recommend it to anyone who has ever questioned religion in general. This book will definitely captivate those who choose to read it.

Barbelo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like TammyO's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
C S Harper
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by C S Harper »

Great review! This sounds really interesting. It sounds like the author has some interesting theories in this novel. I am definitely intrigued.
TammyO

Post by TammyO »

Thanks, CS. It is definitely an interesting book. The author does share quite a few interesting theories that I found interesting. Do you enjoy reading these types of books?
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Stevefromtheblock
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevefromtheblock.html
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol

Post by Stevefromtheblock »

This sounds like an interesting book! Thank you for your review!
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Great review! I enjoy reading your review, but the book isn't my cup of tea. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
C S Harper

Post by C S Harper »

TammyO wrote:Thanks, CS. It is definitely an interesting book. The author does share quite a few interesting theories that I found interesting. Do you enjoy reading these types of books?

I will read any type of book. I enjoy books that make me think or teaches me something that I may not already know. Religion is definitely a controversial topic. I like debating this issue because there are so many different theories out there. I also enjoy reading about what others think about it, especially when it is fact-based as this novel seem to be.
TammyO

Post by TammyO »

Thanks, everyone for taking the time to leave a comment. I may not have agreed with all of the author's theories but, I enjoyed and respected how much research he did to develop them. I would really like to have a conversation with this author. It would be really interesting.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Tammy, I enjoyed reading your review. Controversial theories about religion are not my favorite subject matter to read, particularly when it appears that the writer's perspective is biased. However, you made the book sound interesting, particularly when you mentioned that the book was well researched and included links with further information.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
TammyO

Post by TammyO »

Thanks, bookowlie. I feel the same way. I don't really like it when views are biased. 8)
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I think you did a great job on this review, but I don't think this book is for me. I am a Christian, so I don't really want to read about an atheist. Like I said though, you did do a good job on the review. Your review was very descriptive and informative.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
TammyO

Post by TammyO »

csimmons032 wrote:I think you did a great job on this review, but I don't think this book is for me. I am a Christian, so I don't really want to read about an atheist. Like I said though, you did do a good job on the review. Your review was very descriptive and informative.

Thank you, Csimmons. As a Christian, you may be offended by this book. As I stated in my review, it is very unfortunate that the author decided to write it in this way. He didn't claim to be an atheist, but many readers will come to this conclusion.
Valleygirl1985

Post by Valleygirl1985 »

Great review! Really nice information!
C S Harper

Post by C S Harper »

This book is definitely a very controversial one. I am still considering rather I should read it or not. I currently have it on my list of books to read.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Tammy, It's funny that we both reviewed controversial books about religion. Maybe this subject is becoming trendy.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
TammyO

Post by TammyO »

It is kind of funny bookowlie, it sure looks that way doesn't it..

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”