"It must require bravery to be honest all the time"

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
mkostecki11
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mkostecki11.html

Re: "It must require bravery to be honest all the time"

Post by mkostecki11 »

I think Candor is the more brave faction of the two. Dauntless bravery deals more with individual struggles. It takes courage to jump off a roof, but once that's done a couple times, it turns into less of an act of bravery, and more of just a thrill, because the individual knows that the next time they'll be okay. However, Candor bravery never diminishes because each time they tell the truth, it's to a new person who may react differently and they never know how their honesty will be received. Each individual time they risk the chance of angering or hurting someone else. I also believe when you have the knowledge that you might hurt someone else rather than just yourself, it takes more courage to take the risk of telling the truth.
hollirm
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollirm.html

Post by hollirm »

In our world(reality), it takes bravery to be honest because so many lie. But because in this book, everyone 'tells' the truth and are honest, I don't think that it takes bravery to conform to society, which is exactly would everyone is doing in this book. In their world, it takes bravery to stand up and fight back, to lie to protect.
lindac1_98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindac1-98.html

Post by lindac1_98 »

At times it can be very brave to be completely honest and at other times it can be just a sense of self-righteousness, or just a reason to mean or cruel to another person. It also be said to be true that being selfless could be brave, but that too can be another reason to be self-righteous. Almost like look at how good a person I am because I put you before myself.
athyvip
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athyvip.html

Post by athyvip »

Honestly, I found Candor ridiculous.

I completely agree that truth requires bravery, but if something would hurt someone if you told them but have no consequences if you didn't tell them, would you really tell them? What about the concept of a "little white lie", a lie told to make someone feel better that won't have a lasting effect? While telling the truth has strong points, it also has weak points. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that lying is always the answer, I'm just saying that you need to be able to make the choice in the moment instead of being forced to tell the truth.
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Post by Hadiqa »

I think it really is an interesting quote. The reason is that honesty in other words means truth and telling the right thing has been a problem for all of us in our lives, we are afraid of being scolded, punished etc and therefore we are not honest. However, being brave might also mean that you can tolerate the scoldings other give you and therefore not tell them the truth so, in this case, it is a negative.

Candor is like glass, clear, blunt and true and they are used to it.
3chicnP
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3chicnp.html

Post by 3chicnP »

"It must require bravery to be honest all the time" I half agree with it. At times it does but other times it just comes out. I'm not sure about Conner but I'm a sarcastic person. I just say the truth a lot and it just comes out.
I am a free spirit
like mafia
colemaba
Favorite Author: I can never decide
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 21844">the hinger games</a>
Currently Reading: Enders Game
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colemaba.html
Latest Review: "Angel of Destiny" by T.L.Adams

Post by colemaba »

Is it really brave to constantly tell the truth if that is how you are raised? If you grow up always telling the truth it is just common nature, but if you do not grow up that way I think it is brave. I wouldn't want to live in a society where everyone constantly tells the truth though. Sometimes its best to keep some things inside
Latest Review: "Angel of Destiny" by T.L.Adams
gervaisk
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gervaisk.html

Post by gervaisk »

I know the world we live in would require bravery to be honest all the time. We are taught that we need to disguise are true feelings in order to please others or not to hurt their feelings. It is sometimes not acceptable to give our honest opinion. I would love to live in a world where we can be open and honest all the time but it would require us to be brave.
NothingOkGrey
Favorite Author: Daniel Handler
Favorite Book: Don Quixote
Currently Reading: The Late Starters Orchestra
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nothingokgrey.html
fav_author_id: 3229

Post by NothingOkGrey »

Dauntless bravery is often just recklessness, like jumping off the train or purposely antagonizing others to fight. Telling the truth does require bravery but if you were born into Candor it would just be normal because it's all you know.
ChelseaDeview
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by ChelseaDeview »

I agree that it requires bravery to be honest all the time. When telling someone the truth, you run the risk of that person disliking you for the rest of your life. You may also run the risk of them wanting your opinion on everything. Which can be both a good thing and a bad thing.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

This is a very interesting topic. I do think it requires a certain amount of bravery to be honest all the time. people are always afraid of being honest, myself included in certain situations, because they don't want to hurt people's feelings. Especially if those people are your friends. Sometimes it's easier to be honest with strangers, but you never want to hurt your friend or your family. However, being honest with someone you care about can make your relationship stronger because they know they can trust you in tough situations. If you are completely honest all of the time, then you never know what type of reaction you will get from people. That is what makes it brave. I don't know if I could live in Candor. I can respect the way that they live, but it would be tough to be in an environment where everyone is so brutally honest all of the time. I am not saying that I agree with lying, but sometimes the truth can be hard to hear. I do think there is bravery in being selfless too. It takes a lot of courage to not consider what others might think of you, and just help anyone in need. I definitely have a lot of respect for people who can put their own feelings aside and do what it takes to help others. In my mind, there is always bravery involved when you are standing up for what you believe in.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

It definitely requires bravery to be honest. A lot of people avoid being honest because it is sometimes a lot harder to be honest. Being honest can hurt others, and it can make the honest person an outsider in certain ways.

Sometimes we do not need honesty. Sometimes we need to tell or hear a white lie instead. I wouldn't have the bravery to live in Candor. I am a pretty honest person, but I do not like hurting people just for the sake of being honest.
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
gatorgirl_823
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatorgirl-823.html
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam

Post by gatorgirl_823 »

Each faction was extreme is displaying their said trait - whether fearless or honest or selfless, etc. One would have to be brave if required to be honest in all circumstances, however tact and kindness should be included with honesty but the Candor faction was more interested in just be smart and outspoken it seemed.
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam
steinhm
Currently Reading: The Silent Boy
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steinhm.html
Latest Review: "The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris" by Evie Gaughan

Post by steinhm »

I think honestly bravery can come in different forms. I think both factions are brave and I don't think you can say one faction is braver than the other. Dauntless is more fearless and more likely to head into battle without a second thought, however, to in candor to always have to tell the truth no matter what takes a different kind of bravery. Knowing something you say might hurt someone close to you but feeling the morality to tell them anyway is their own kind of bravery.

I don't think I can say which one is ultimately "braver" even though on the surface it might appear to be dauntless. Everyone has their own bravery within them and just because it isn't outward and in your face doesn't mean it isn't there.
Latest Review: "The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris" by Evie Gaughan
rebeccamcivor0202
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccamcivor0202.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by rebeccamcivor0202 »

Personally I think others may see it as a brave act but they do not. To choose Candor as their faction a person must already be predisposed to telling truth and pure honesty should come natural therefore how could it be brave? And as for it being hard to live there with everyone being so truthful all the time, it would only seem difficult to those who don't belong there and live by the principles followed by those in Candor. Personally, I would find it very refreshing to live in a society that has all out in the open and everyone knows everything about one another.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”