What are your views on Nick and his character?

Discuss the October 2014 book of the month, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Icon What are your views on Nick and his character?

Post by Hadiqa »

I would love to hear how you perceived Nick and what did you think about his character.

Also was there any part of the story you did not like or preferred it to be different? :)
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
Nothing -_- Because of School
Readingcorner

Post by Readingcorner »

A little stupid but a good guy. I wish he was more accommodating though to his wife
Hadiqa

Post by Hadiqa »

Readingcorner wrote:A little stupid but a good guy. I wish he was more accommodating though to his wife
Yeah, I can relate to that. Could have been better :)
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I didn't like him and thought he was a loser. I would have preferred a different end.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Hadiqa

Post by Hadiqa »

It's surprising to know so many different opinions, I wish more users share their too
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
Sweet_Lullaby
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-lullaby.html
Latest Review: "The Key-Stone of the Bridge" by Craig Meggy

Post by Sweet_Lullaby »

Well, he isn't the best guy, but there is a side of him that could make up for it.
Latest Review: "The Key-Stone of the Bridge" by Craig Meggy
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

He is kind of a d*bag, but he didn't deserve what he got either... not to such an extent at least. As far as him being stupid... in reference to the things she planned out... she was so meticulous and he was so blind sided... I don't feel that contributs as evidence to him being unintelligent. However, what kind of a moron is hooking up with another woman while under investigation? *face palm* I will admit though... there is a small part of me that felt like he did get what he had coming to him. A lot of people go into marriage with the facade of being one person and after the ceremony the mask falls off. Granted she was a total nutter... it does hold some satisfaction to read a book that actually punishes a character who commits adultery instead of glorifying and making excuses for it.
I love LOVE. <3
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
Hadiqa

Post by Hadiqa »

Skillian wrote:He is kind of a d*bag, but he didn't deserve what he got either... not to such an extent at least. As far as him being stupid... in reference to the things she planned out... she was so meticulous and he was so blind sided... I don't feel that contributs as evidence to him being unintelligent. However, what kind of a moron is hooking up with another woman while under investigation? *face palm* I will admit though... there is a small part of me that felt like he did get what he had coming to him. A lot of people go into marriage with the facade of being one person and after the ceremony the mask falls off. Granted she was a total nutter... it does hold some satisfaction to read a book that actually punishes a character who commits adultery instead of glorifying and making excuses for it.
Lol, definitely explained answer than all the others and it does help understand why you feel so. I understand the last line you said. There are many books which in order to have a happy ending have fake excuses and 'forgiving' which is unforgiving actually :/
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
Bridget_Jones
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridget-jones.html

Post by Bridget_Jones »

I had very mixed feelings about Nick's character. In all of Amy's chapters from her "diary", she made Nick out to be a horrible, unsympathetic husband. But in Nick's chapters we got to see his true character. I thought, overall, that Nick is a relatively good guy stuck in a bad situation. I didn't like how in the end he just decided to stay with Amy and tolerate her psychoticness, even if she is pregnant.
Hadiqa

Post by Hadiqa »

Ah well that was bad! I thought so too! But couldn't help wonder the same thing that Skillian said
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Post by TLGabelman »

Ok so ill be the first to say not only did I hate Nick but I was kinda rooting for Amys character. I found him to be cliche having an affair with his student and didnt recover any respect for him as the story progressed. Now dont get me wrong I didnt agree with what Amy did to him, but I feel like she snapped and totally committed to this psycho plan. The whole fertility part of the story line was like icing on a crazy cake she baked. Having the flip flopping chapters where the narrators change really gives perspective into the relationship and I have to say Nick completely believed his 'version' of Amy. Amy manipulated him like a character in one of her parents story series loosely based on their 'version' of her. The ending left me wanting a little more, left me hoping Nick had grown a set, but he ultimately conceded and she had won.
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

The only problem I have to Nick is actually that the writer made it sound like he's the usual guy. I don't think the character is that "standard" related to all the men out there.
He was a happy idiot. He should have opened his eyes. He was very dumb.
Not all women, but many women are always a step further in a relationship. If you cheat on them, they will know before you know it.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
TLGabelman

Post by TLGabelman »

I agree with Himmelslicht, Nick was portrayed as "the usual guy." It was painful to see such a self involved male character be worked to the nth degree by his female lead. I honestly do think he had an original thought of his own. But the mastery of Amy was that she was so good at manipulation everything he did, he thought he had control over, when in fact it was always her.
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

tlgabelman wrote:I agree with Himmelslicht, Nick was portrayed as "the usual guy." It was painful to see such a self involved male character be worked to the nth degree by his female lead. I honestly do think he had an original thought of his own. But the mastery of Amy was that she was so good at manipulation everything he did, he thought he had control over, when in fact it was always her.
That makes me think until what point does one have control over what one does. After a while, how do you know if you like noodles becauseyou like or because he/she made you like it?
Until what point do you know that you developed the habit of being tidy for yourself or because you've been pressured to do it because of your significant other?
Of course these are tiny bits of the problem in general, but in the hands of a really smart and devious person, one could become a toy.
She played him like a fool since the beginning. She wanted a human pet because she has always been Amazing Amy. And she got one, even when he started to slip away, all she had to do was to find the right leash to chain him to her. It's weird as hell but it worked.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
TLGabelman

Post by TLGabelman »

A good book can make you think about things the way nothing else can. Flynn created a great story with big picture implications in regards to 'free will.' The psychological implications of manipulation are mind boggling. Id love a prequel into more of Amys' childhood, and always having to live up to Amazing Amy, even if just in her mind.

Return to “"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn”