Much better than Fifty Shades - The Story of O

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
karueter
Bookshelf Size: 0

Much better than Fifty Shades - The Story of O

Post by karueter »

Despite the hype surrounding the Fifty Shades trilogy, I found it to be badly written. However, Pauline Réage's "The Story of O" is another story. Keep in mind that this is definitely erotica, so if that's not your thing this definitely won't be, as it features some hard-core BSDM scenes. However, unlike Fifty Shades, the characters are very well developed. Hard to believe it was written in the 50s! Apparently we've been naughty all along!
ralfy

Post by ralfy »

There are lots to consider, including the Perennial Forbidden Classics collection:

http://www.readings.com.au/collection/p ... n-classics

which includes works from previous centuries.
jordan96

Post by jordan96 »

I am definitely going to check this out. I loved FSOG so I hope I like this one too. Thanks!
mcfmatthews
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcfmatthews.html

Post by mcfmatthews »

I have also read both books and I agree, The Story of O is much better.

The story of O is developed and actually has a great plot. It is erotica with a much more intense BDSM story line.
larryb

Post by larryb »

I don't think there is much disagreement about 50 shades. If you care about language, character, and plot it is unreadable.
O is superior-but there is an issue we should discuss. Wayne Booth asked a long time ago what do we do with a work that employs great artistry to valorize an evil idea-the Holocaust for example. As I recall O ends with the heroine consenting to her death. Do we in our reading leave aside our normal ethical sense? Can we and should we? O comes out of a milieu fascinated by the idea of transgression and as I recall in that milieu there was a lot of sympathy for fascism. "Eroticism"-
but arousal for whom? Does the work express female sexual desire or, even though written by a woman, a male fantasy of that desire.?
stacylee0726

Post by stacylee0726 »

I absolutely love these books

-- 17 Oct 2014, 22:57 --

The 2nd is my
simplypochi23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplypochi23.html

Post by simplypochi23 »

I'll check this out. I've been searching for books that is something similar to FSOG. "ve read the books almost 5 times. Unbelievable. haha
deer+

Post by deer+ »

Anybody would have a problem writing books as badly as the author of 50 Shades. What is worse, the story is predictably boring.
Why, in heaven's name, would a reader plough through them 5 times? I shall look and see if this one is better, but there is modern erotica out there that's well written. Try looking on Goodreads, under an appropriate group.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Anyone remember " Lady Chatterly's lover ? " D.H. Lawrence...
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Briebird
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briebird.html

Post by Briebird »

How about the Sleeping Beauty trilogy, by Anne Rice writing as A.N. Roquelaire? I really loved the first book. The second and third, it got a bit crazy, but they were all really fun. If you're into BDSM with a fairytaleish twist, and if you don't mind m/m stuff and HEAVY bondage / slavery scenarios, I definitely recommend the trilogy.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

I have no interest in reading fifty shades of grey, but in that genre ( risqué ) I highly recommend Lolita, by Nabokokov
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
ladykait116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladykait116.html

Post by ladykait116 »

I'm reading fifty shades of grey right now & I like it so far, so I'll have to check it out!
ambalon
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ambalon.html

Post by ambalon »

Does the Story of O keep you in suspense the way fifty shades of Grey does? I mean for a young reader I found fifty shades to be exhilarating to the point where I couldn't put it down since I needed to know what happened next! It wasn't so much for the BDSM as it was for the suspense. Like would she leave him or would she actually stay with this man. I don't know about the rest of you who read Fifty shades of Grey but I am certainly looking forward to the movies! I have to wonder if they picked the right characters though? In the previews it certainly looks as if they portrayed the characters correctly but will they grasp the books the right way? Books are always better than the movies! I am still in suspense as to how Mockinjay will be at the end of this week ;) I will certainly pick up the Story of O if it is a suspenseful book that will grasp my attention and hold it there.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

I wouldn't waste my time even picking up a copy of 50 Shades of Grey, which is a mass market piece of tripe for bored women.

On the other hand, the Story of O is a classic piece of erotica published in the 1950s, the authorship of which remains something of a mystery. Pauline Reage is the pen name of Dominique Aury, itself the pen name of Anne Declos, a French author and journalist. She wrote The Story of O as challenge after her lover claimed that a woman could not write and erotic novel.

There is not a lot of plot - it is a series of degrading sexual experiences involving bondage, whippings and brandings, a total subservience to the men in O's life.

However, the constrained language certainly ensures that this is genuinely erotic and not just titillating.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Phoebs BookWormz

Post by Phoebs BookWormz »

I have not read The story of O. It sounds intriguing. But i did heard of Fifty Shades of Grey. It was crazy popular a while back and now it's shooting a real live movie on the book series. Looking forward to reading the story of o.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”