Da Vinci Code

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinkPromo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Da Vinci Code

Post by LinkPromo »

Anyone else think this book is massively over rated?

Don't get me wrong, i enjoyed it, but I just think a lot of the buzz was just hype because of the topic.
volcno-grl

Post by volcno-grl »

I totally agree. Its amazing how many great authors there are and nobody knows about them...then theres Dan Brown and just because his subject is controversial he is on the best seller list. he is ok don't get me wrong its just the more i read the more i realize that he really isn't as great as some people say
LoveHatesYou

Post by LoveHatesYou »

Yeah, I found the book to be extremely well -researched, as I study relgion as a kind of hobby, though Brown faulted in using "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" as one of his main resourses as it is not entirely accurate anymore. That being said, though well - researched it could've been written better. ALl of his literary devices were flimsy and transparent, and using a professor to explain to book's theories to the eager student was a little sophmoric and reminded of sex ed videos in junior high. "I'm glad you asked SUsan, and here is the answer to your innocent questioning about gonnorhea..." It was too didactic. It was an okay read for a grocery store book though- it was the timing and subject that made it huge.

I didn't care for the movie either.
knightss

Post by knightss »

It was well researched and i thought it was pretty clever. Overall a 7/10. The movie was horrible.
Trinah

Post by Trinah »

I dont think it was that great a book. Dan Brown doesn't write overly well, so I think it's been proven you don't have to be a great writer to have a best seller - all you need is a controversial topic and a whole lot of publicity.

Plus, on the Australian comedy show Rove Live, Rove asked the audience who had read the Da Vinci Code for the sake of not wanting to be the only person that hadn't read it. Surprisingly, almost the entire audience put up their hand.
knightss

Post by knightss »

i actually read an article somewhere that a lot of people buy books just for show. he should have asked of those people how many owned the book.. i would guess that maybe 1/3 or more had a copy of it.
chemicalbaby

Post by chemicalbaby »

It was an ok book, a well thought out plot, but not that well written. The movie....was ok. It is SERIOUSLY over rated. But then again, so was Harry Potter. But those were good.
Tmritz

Post by Tmritz »

I own it. I read it. Books are always better than the movies. I saw that as well. However it was more Fictional than Historical. I was not a bad read tho.
awelker

Post by awelker »

this was a good book but i liked angels and demons way better. i don't know what it was about the da vinci code but i wasn't all the interested in it. i just read it because my dad had a copy and was reading it but since it takes him forever to read things i read through it first.

the book was better than the movie because there was a lot more detail.

what did you think of browns other books?
Tmritz

Post by Tmritz »

I have not read any other books by Brown. Are they similar in style?
awelker

Post by awelker »

i tired reading Digital Fortress but couldn't get into it. i am just not a fan of the other books.
lorsybubble

Post by lorsybubble »

Hi
I haven't read any of his other books. I thought the Da Vinci code was a bit of a let down to be honest. I guess it was just so over-hyped. I thought the ending was really lame too. It was a good yarn but nothing more than that, I don't really see what the fuss is all about.....
inkcharmed

Post by inkcharmed »

I actually really liked it... :) But I thought that Angels and Demons was better, which no one really mentions.
Gavinswar

Post by Gavinswar »

I also agree, the book is done in Dan Browns siginature style but its so similar to his other books that at it felt like a remake of previous stories not an original piece.
lizabello

Post by lizabello »

I must agree with you guys, that book is extremely overrated, no that I didn't like it, but I just think that there are many authors that are not even mentioned that write better books than that one.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”