Gone Girl Characters-Spoilers

Discuss the October 2014 book of the month, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Re: Gone Girl Characters-Spoilers

Post by bookowlie »

Leila23, I do agree that Amy was brilliant in her meticulous planning. It's interesting that so many people disliked both characters so much that they didn't even care how they ended up by the end of the book. I did feel that Amy was so off the charts that I felt a little empathy toward Nick.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Post by Hadiqa »

Is this a Romance book? I did read the plot on Goodreads and I am kinda confused if I should read it or not and what it is actually about :-(
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
Nothing -_- Because of School
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Hadiqa wrote:Is this a Romance book? I did read the plot on Goodreads and I am kinda confused if I should read it or not and what it is actually about :-(
No, it isn't a romance. You can read about it here:

Gone Girl
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Post by Hadiqa »

gali wrote:
Hadiqa wrote:Is this a Romance book? I did read the plot on Goodreads and I am kinda confused if I should read it or not and what it is actually about :-(
No, it isn't a romance. You can read about it here:

Gone Girl
Thanks for the link! :)
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
Nothing -_- Because of School
Tincup13

Post by Tincup13 »

I found this book a great series of unexpected twists and turns. I didn't have to relate to either Nick or Amy to enjoy the story. In the end Nick decides to stay but I like to think he still has revenge on his mind and in time he will get even with Amy.
TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Post by TLGabelman »

Nick disappointed me as a character completely. His infidelity was predictable and his attempt to cover it laughable. I think as a fictional character he got what he deserved. Amy was such a twisted character, I secretly loved her. Having grown up having to live up to her parents fictional version of her turned her into real life producer with her life as the arena. Amy spoon fed Nick the 'version' of her that she wanted him to fall in love with. Her little anniversary poems were a cute touch, and showed an even deeper level of commitment to the character she had created. While it didnt end how i would have preferred, I think thats part of Flynns charm. The unexpected.
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel
3chicnP
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3chicnp.html

Post by 3chicnP »

I like how you say "may contain spoilers." It's pretty obvious that it WILL have spoilers. I don't know what's wrong with me but I didn't like any of the characters..
I am a free spirit
like mafia
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

3chicnP wrote:I like how you say "may contain spoilers." It's pretty obvious that it WILL have spoilers. I don't know what's wrong with me but I didn't like any of the characters..
You aren't the only one who didn't like them... :wink:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

I actually liked Go, she was awesome. I loved her personality.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
BreeHoward

Post by BreeHoward »

The thing I've noticed about Gillian Flynn is what a strong writer she actually is. The woman manipulates your feelings, thoughts, and beliefs about her characters masterfully. Gone Girl continues the characterization style she started with Sharp Objects and Dark Places. I actually disliked the characters in those books, but was compelled to keep reading because of how powerful the plot line and theme were. You finish reading and are hungry for more. Her books are raw and brutally honest, which is why I love her as a writer. She makes me uncomfortable, but only to show me a truth about the world. While it is hard to like a book if you don't feel a kinship with the characters, Flynn captivates me in a way few other authors do. I respect her ability to tell a straightforward story even if she risks me disliking her characters.
aquamarine310
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by aquamarine310 »

I absolutely loved this book in its entirety. The setup (fake Amy diary to helpless Nick to Real Amy and back to scornful Nick) couldn't have been better. It seemed every single character had their psychological issues, some more hidden than others, as is in the real world.

Amy - Her patience absolutely left me awestruck. Knowing her husband was cheating the entire time, and yet she didn't have an outburst. She played it out really, really well in order to gain pleasure for herself - framing her husband for murder while she sits and watches him get the blame and head for death row. Then her history: framing her ex for rape, framing her best friend for being obsessive with her, all because they knew her flaws and didn't think her Amazing.

Nick - having his despised dad's thoughts running around in his own head, subconsciously hating women. Getting back with Amy after all is said and done, not because he loves or forgives her but because he knows they're made for each other.

Andie- the insecure little girl. Using her body for attention, needing Nick all the time. Wanting to hear stories about her lover's wife, as if she's some kind of celebrity idol to her. Knowing deep down she'll never be Amy, or Nick's wife, but still lingers around.

Desi - obsessed and crazed over Amy. Already had the room and greenhouse ready for her for who knows how long. Wanting to mold her into the girl HE wanted, as if she were a plastic doll. Always needing reassurance that she needed him (for that while), needing to hear Amy say thank you over and over again. It's almost safe to assume if she would've stayed there with him, she WOULD have ended up dead in the river.

And finally, Amy's parents - the two psychologists who overlooked they're own psychotic daughter. Were they in denial or were they just too self-centred with each other and their fictional daughter on paper that made them rich. Not tending to their only child's needs and failing as parents.

Flynn did a remarkable job with this novel and creating a world full of mentally deranged people. I give it 4/4 stars.
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

This is a really interesting discussion. Thank you for opening this topic.

As I just posted on "Overall Rating of Gone Girl," I think the book basically takes a very dim view of human nature. Which makes it misanthropic - very very realistic, but ultimately, depressing, because no one in it manages to rise above human nature. Sort of like Mark Twain's writing, but less funny.

Like most people on this thread, I didn't particularly like either Nick or Amy. But I could relate to both of them.

Nick is not crazy or evil, he's just a very weak person. Life with his horrible Dad gave him no positive example of masculinity to strengthen him, just an ingrained caution of putting a foot wrong. (Anyone know anybody like that?) Harsh Dads make weak sons, especially if the son's natural temperament is people-pleasing.

We know Nick has good intentions. I love him for the fact that he has a soft spot for women who are "hard on the eyes." :)

Can anyone else relate to the fact that Nick's childhood left him unable to project the more tender emotions on his face, even if he is feeling them inside? That feeling of "I know I look like a jerk, I really do care, but I just can't control my face"? I have experienced this problem, but I have never seen it described in a novel before.

In addition to weakness, Nick is cursed with good looks. So, he falls for his mistress (- yeah, I forget her name too. Brittany?). He didn't go out looking for her, but he's a sad, lonely people-pleaser, and when she comes on to him, he hasn't the strength to say No. (Know anyone like that?)

Now Amy. Yes, she's evil. But the things that set her off are things that bother many wives. It's just that Amy is smarter, more "disciplined," and has no conscience to check her lust to be worshiped. Most of us have these dark desires, but by common grace, we also have something in us that puts the brakes on.

For example, could anyone else relate to Amy's rant about "Cool Girls"?
Any other wives ever wanted to be understood really, really well? Better than we have a right to expect?
Or to be the center of attention?
Imagine that you were as good looking, smart, and talented as Amy. Wouldn't you love to have a whole bunch of people get together and say so? And call you a saint? Just sayin'.

I did like Margo. Yes, maybe she shoulda done this or that, but remember the situation she's put in. I doubt I would have done any better.

I loved detective Boney. She was smart and kind. But true to the realism of the story, she just didn't have enough authority, facts, or leverage to stop Amy's evil. Besides, by the time she figured it out, it was kind of a done deed.

Desi was just creepy.

I didn't even hate Amy's parents. They were kind. They were just very shortsighted about the fact that worshiping their daughter would create a narcissist. Or that it had. Guess their worship of her blinded them to that. I know they sort of "exploited" her with the books. Come to think of it, that also shows how whenever we worship someone as if they were God, we end up seriously wronging and perhaps destroying that person.

OK, this has been a major rant. Sorry about that. I read this book AFTER October (not available in the library before then), and then it took me a while to find this topic, but I have been itching to talk about these characters with y'all.
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard
Alexavier-Taiga
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Struck By Lightning by Chris Colfer
Currently Reading: reading five books and they wont fit
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexavier-taiga.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Alexavier-Taiga »

This is actually one of the few books that I started but never finished. I got a few chapters in and I was just bored out of my mind because I just hated all of the characters. All of them.
So many books to read, so little time..
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

I really, really had a hard time feel sorry for Nick. He is a cheater and a liar. For the majority of the book, I thought he was a murderer. He really does not have that many redeemable qualities. When it's revealed that he has been tricked by his wife, I openly cheered.

I really liked Amy. I know she is psychotic and completely unhinged, but I do feel for her because she a complete product of her upbringing and society. Her parents want her to be perfect, and she is completely right that society demands girls be "cool girls". She loves Nick, but when she begins to act like herself, he grows distant and cold. She does everything he wants, and he still cheats on her and does not appreciate her.

I wish the ending would have been that Nick's reputation is ruined, and he lives a miserable life, but sadly Amy couldn't abandon Nick.
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
danielle21

Post by danielle21 »

I thought gone girl was brilliant. I couldnt put it down, I loved the characters and enjoyed the twist. Amy is truely a very clever woman the way it took years for her to plot to destroy her husband and done him harm by nick nearly going to jail, what an evil thing to do to nick!!! But nick isnt an angel himself did he really deserve all this crazy show down i dont think so. he is brave for staying with amy as she is a crazy woman. Would recommend this book it will always be on my book shelf as its enjoyable and a real page turner.

Return to “"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn”