Official Review: Wanted: Girl I Once Met by Sonja Gunter

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Official Review: Wanted: Girl I Once Met by Sonja Gunter

Post by GKCfan »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wanted: Girl I Once Met" by Sonja Gunter.]
Book Cover for 1753
Share This Review

Official Review: Wanted: Girl I Once Met, by Sonja Gunter

Wanted: Girl I Once Met is a story about yearning for love, discovering what one wants out of a relationship, and finding happiness. The story centers around damaged people and their desires to find fulfillment, usually through different kinds of relationships.

One of the central characters is Rane Schoen, a divorced woman in her early thirties, who is still suffering from the emotional wounds inflicted upon her by her adulterous cad of a husband. As the story opens, she is searching for a job and for a fresh start in life. She soon finds an interesting job, and as the story unfolds she embarks upon a relationship with the potential to change her life.

Another main male character is Mark Christmenn, a wealthy and powerful man with a heroic streak, as the opening scenes show. He also has a notable love for dragons, and is not ashamed to advertise his money and influence.

Perceptive readers can probably predict the outcome of the novel’s plot based on this brief description. Damaged heroine. Attractive, unattached man of means. Early in the novel, I knew exactly where Rane would get a job, that there’d be a steamy, transformative sex scene, and I knew precisely which relationship would form and what would come of it. This book follows a familiar template, although it’s hard to see how the story might have taken a different path without leaving its readers unsatisfied.

The content of the book will either win a reader over or leave that reader cold. There’s a lot of blunt sexual talk. Sometimes it’s humorous or stupid, but some readers might enjoy the material. Some may find the extended seduction scene over several late chapters erotic, though I found it to be almost a parody of the genre.

Although I personally am not a great fan of romantic novels, or of works where the characters spend most of the book reflecting on their sex lives or their attractions to other people, I can understand why others might. I personally did not enjoy Wanted: Girl I Once Met very much, but I can certainly understand why other people could have fun with it. Gunter does have a keen eye for human nature, and I was impressed by her prose skills and how she captured the desires and yearnings of her characters in brief scenes and snatches of dialogue.

Though the subject matter isn’t my preferred topic to read, I feel that other people might enjoy the book, and I therefore recommend this book for people who like romance novels, although readers with no interest in the genre are advised to look for alternative reading material.

I give this book three out of four stars.

Buy "Wanted: Girl I Once Met" on Amazon
sonjagunter
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sonjagunter »

:D Thank you for review.
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Post by GKCfan »

You're welcome!
DEON1
Favorite Author: Lisa Jackson
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deon1.html
fav_author_id: 10477

Post by DEON1 »

Great review. Sounds like a typical romance novel!
ryancody

Post by ryancody »

The cover and the review of the book looks interesting and romantic.
Tianarenee3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tianarenee3.html

Post by Tianarenee3 »

thorough review, thanks! i feel that romance/erotic novels are meant to be quick reads and books not to dwell on, so i will probably pick this book up but not analyze it or go deep into it. But i do agree that sometimes the over exaggerated sex talk makes a parody of the genre. Keep the reviews coming! definitely helping me funnel my book list.
Bigmama1

Post by Bigmama1 »

Thank you for your frank review of the book. I also feel that romance is not my favorite genre but occasionally I find one I like. I enjoyed your posted review. It is organized, well written, and easy to understand.
angeel
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angeel.html

Post by angeel »

I thought your review was well balanced and easy to understand. The book seems to draw different people to it which could be due to the fact that like most romance books they all have pretty much the same back story but people like it because most people can put themselves into the characters in real life and sometimes draw from the fantasy
lhardin20

Post by lhardin20 »

Sounds like your typical romance novel! <3
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

Thank you for your honest review.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Sometimes a reader just wants the stereotypical rich guy romance and this sounds exactly like it. It's pretty cool that you noted that just because it's not to your preference, that doesn't mean it's bad too.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
JazmineNgh

Post by JazmineNgh »

The review of the book was good it makes me want to read it. I feel like it would be a good book because it sounds like it has a little bit of different things for everyone.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”