Reason behind the creation of the factions? Do they work?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Reason behind the creation of the factions? Do they work?

Post by Scott »

The following discussion question was included in some copies of the June book of the month, Divergent by Veronica Roth.

What was the reason behind the creation of the factions? Do you think the factions are working "toward a better society and a better world" (p. 44) as they say they are? What about the structure seems to be working for Tris’s society? What doesn’t seem to be working at all?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
toriborip
Favorite Author: Robin Jones Gunn
Currently Reading: The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toriborip.html
fav_author_id: 5926

Post by toriborip »

I think its kinda like the Hunger Games books. They split them up to avoid rebellion... obviously it didnt work for that reason
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

the factions were created to help keep peace and order and to maintain the balance. It didn't work out as we found out...
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
LittleWilma
Favorite Author: Jeff Melton
Favorite Book: Dark Destiny
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlewilma.html

Post by LittleWilma »

The factions were supposed to keep the peace by keeping people in their places. However, it provided a situation where the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing and that led to the conflict.
"I like liquor — its taste and its effects — and that is just the reason why I never drink it."
-Stonewall Jackson
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

Since this is a dystopian society, I believe the factions were created to give the government control over the people. The factions separate people into their own groups, and keep them from exploring their potential for greatness and other traits. This prevents unity and rebellion. The concept of them working towards a "better society" is just a bunch of pretty words they say to keep everybody happy with the system, but it's not true. They want to eliminate the threats to the system, like Divergents, because they don't belong in any one group and thus they can't be controlled.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Hola2Cora
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hola2cora.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Hola2Cora »

CrescentMoon wrote:Since this is a dystopian society, I believe the factions were created to give the government control over the people. The factions separate people into their own groups, and keep them from exploring their potential for greatness and other traits. This prevents unity and rebellion. The concept of them working towards a "better society" is just a bunch of pretty words they say to keep everybody happy with the system, but it's not true. They want to eliminate the threats to the system, like Divergents, because they don't belong in any one group and thus they can't be controlled.
I agree with your opinion. It is about the "Big Brother" watching and controlling the people in its realm. Many people say this is a dystopian society, however, not everybody was displeased with their faction. In fact I think the factions prevented its society from becoming a society characterized by its misery. So at one level the faction idea worked, people like Four's father thrived in his faction, as did the other leaders of the other factions, including Tris' parents. However, because another government's purpose for the faction system was control, it was doomed to fail, because their end game allowed them to interfere and execute a different purpose for the faction system. There is no such thing as a perfect society, because all humans are imperfect. However, the idea of a faction system was fun to read.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
IlovetoRead7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilovetoread7.html

Post by IlovetoRead7 »

In theory separating people to encourage the success of certain traits is a logical idea, but the big thing that was not planned for was that what they were separating were people. Everyone spends time with people exactly like them and that gets so boring that you go find new, different people. By making people conform to the rules of each faction the eliminated to creativity that is needed to make society run. The creativity which develops new ideas for change. When society does not change people are thrust backwards in developing the world for better and history is doomed to repeat itself.
arnaleigh
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arnaleigh.html
Latest Review: "Risking Exposure" by Jeanne Moran

Post by arnaleigh »

The factions were created to maintain order and encourage traits but I don't think it would ever have worked because no two people are the same, though through circumstances people may have similar traits but those traits are reflected differently in everyone.
Latest Review: "Risking Exposure" by Jeanne Moran
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

The factions were supposed to keep the peace and maintain order by dividing people up as to where they belong but as we saw, it doesn't work. I think it speaks a lot about Communism. They try to do the same thing, deciding what jobs people are going to have and where they are going to live, and as we have seen throughout history.............it doesn't work.
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
roguexunited
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: After Dark
Currently Reading: Sweet Tooth
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roguexunited.html
Latest Review: "Fate" by Ali Bin Zahid
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by roguexunited »

As I was reading the book I was constantly reminded of Lois Lowry's The Giver, where on paper everything sounded reasonable, but in practice it failed horribly. That is the sensation I got with Divergent. I also think that it was very clever to describe each fraction by its virtue because it becomes a distraction from what really is happening.
I do think that idea was a little commonplace because I can think of a whole bunch of other novels that have a very similar dystopian layout that simulates order. Brave New World, Guilliver's Travels (book 4), The Handmaid's Tale, to name a few.
Latest Review: "Fate" by Ali Bin Zahid
that_bek_girl
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: And then there were none
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-bek-girl.html
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by that_bek_girl »

The factions were designed to keep the peace. What did work was that you had all these organized groups with a specific specialty. In theory, it sounds great. What didn't work, was the Spain between the groups, the hard line. There is no creativity, no inner workings for improvement, no one knew what was really going on all of the time.
You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
Esrever
Favorite Author: Mark Z. Danielewski
Currently Reading: January 6th and the Millenial Horde
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esrever.html
Latest Review: "Killing Matt Cooper" by John Cassian
fav_author_id: 2642

Post by Esrever »

It can't work because if this is to mirror a utopia, there's no harmony between them. You can't have a perfect society and have a large portion of your group "factionless" Also, the fact that there's so much hatred towards faction trading at the ceremonies shows that each group thinks as highly of themselves as they do for hating those that are not like them.
“There's no better way to overpower a trickle of doubt than with a flood of naked truth.”
Latest Review: "Killing Matt Cooper" by John Cassian
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

I found that the least believable part of the book, actually. In the world I live in, various people champion various virtues, but there is NO WAY they would agree to let another part of society live by a different virtue. So it's really hard to imagine how this all came about.

But I was completely willing to skip over those worries, because the ideas of grouping people by values/personality type is a fascinating premise and made a great story.
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

Putting people into factions is not a good idea. This allows factionalism and sectarianism to flourish. we will even see some examples of this today, people thinking that they're better than another group of people based on some notion of superiority.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
rox_danyel
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rox-danyel.html

Post by rox_danyel »

The factions were created in the beginning to keep peace. People with certain traits were divides into the faction where they belong. In theory, it sounds like a great idea, but turns out, it caused chaos between the factions.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”