Official Review: A Pair of Docks by Jennifer Ellis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Official Review: A Pair of Docks by Jennifer Ellis

Post by Paliden »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Pair of Docks" by Jennifer Ellis.]
Book Cover for 1826
Share This Review

In A Pair of Docks, we meet Abbey Sinclair and her brothers. Caleb is her twin but her opposite in many ways. Simon is the oldest and seems to be a slightly troubled teen. Abbey, however, is a genius. Quite literally. Although she has a scientific mind to rival the best, she is also very shy and nervous when it comes to trying something new or unknown. Imagine how she feels when she and her brothers come across some stones in the woods. Stones that take them……..somewhere, or perhaps “some-when” is the right term. Where are they? And when? And why does it keep changing every time they go through the stones? And what about their mysterious neighbors, Mrs. Forrester and her son Mark? How does all this tie together and what on earth does it all mean? Hmmm…..well, you will have to read the book to find out.

Wow, just wow. I really enjoyed this book. It was grammatically correct and I could not find any errors of any other form (which are a serious hangup for me). This story is so cool! Okay, I know that does not sound very professional, but I have to say that I got very caught up in Abbey’s story and I can’t wait to read the next book. That being said, I was very pleased that A Pair of Docks did not end in a cliffhanger. Very well done on that end!

The sheer amount of knowledge and scientific information put in this story makes you think it would be dry and uninteresting, but it’s actually very much the opposite. Being a big fantasy fan myself, I sometimes get lost in the fine line between fantasy and science fiction. I’m not sure I have read another book that blends that line so finely. This story will appeal to any fantasy or sci-fi fans out there. Also, there is no cursing or scenes, which I found to be very refreshing.

I loved watching Abbey grow and come out of her shell during the progression of this story. The Abbey at the beginning is a very different girl from the one at the end. And there are a few surprises in there! The book took a few turns that I was not expecting at all but in the end, meshed together perfectly.

I would love to see more of Caleb in the next book. I felt like he could have had a stronger character, but maybe that is just me. And then……well, I better not say any more as I don’t want to provide any spoilers.

I have always been fascinated by the time travel/paradox theory. What if we really do have alternate realities or could go to the future? In A Pair of Docks, Ms. Ellis brings all the threads of time travel together to weave a tapestry that will leave you spell-bound. Enjoy the ride!

I am ranking this a 4 out of 4 stars.

Buy "A Pair of Docks" on Amazon
View hassle-free sample of "A Pair of Docks"
Bookworm0266
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm0266.html
Latest Review: "Other (This title is supposed to have a checkmark in front of it, but the form disallowed it.)" by Cindy Campopiano

Post by Bookworm0266 »

Sounds interesting..I would love to read it!
Latest Review: "Other (This title is supposed to have a checkmark in front of it, but the form disallowed it.)" by Cindy Campopiano
DEON1
Favorite Author: Lisa Jackson
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deon1.html
fav_author_id: 10477

Post by DEON1 »

Great review. Sounds like a great read!
Paliden

Post by Paliden »

Thanks! It was a great read! Enjoyed it immensely!
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

This does look interesting. It sounds a bit like a coming of age story. Do you think it may be geared towards readers of young adult, or fantasy readers of all ages? I personally enjoy a young adult every now and then, but I'm just curious who the target might be for this one.
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires
Paliden

Post by Paliden »

I would say it is geared towards young adults as a coming of age story. All of the charecter a grow a lot. But I really enjoy reading fantasy and I think any fantasy reader would enjoy this series.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

Great review. I love young adult-geared books. I'll have to try it.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Paliden

Post by Paliden »

Thanks! Yes, you should totally try it.
shannonpearce48

Post by shannonpearce48 »

Not gonna lie, at first I thought this was gonna be boring. However, I am pleasantly surprised because it sounds like something I would enjoy reading. Anyone that knows me knows that I typically only read biographies and true crime novels and the occasional fiction book like the Harry Potter series, but seeing as how this book is none of the above I was surprised to have interest in it. This is definitely a book I want to buy and read. Even though I haven't read the book yet, I have a feeling that Jennifer Ellis made the rest of the book as interesting as the sample I read. Four out of four stars!
Paliden

Post by Paliden »

Lol! I thought it would be kinda boring too when I first started it. But it really surprised me! I am looking forward to reading more myself.
Pwyrdan
Favorite Author: Susanna Clarke
Favorite Book: Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Currently Reading: The Fall of Arthur by J. R. R. Tolkien
fav_author_id: 15707

Post by Pwyrdan »

This sounds like just the kind of book I'd love. Like A Wrinkle in Time or Hounds of the Morrigan. I'll be checking it out!
13Vulpes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-13vulpes.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by 13Vulpes »

I like time travel stories and it doesn´t matter to me if it is meant to be for kids or adults. Actually I sometimes like books for younger readers more than for adults. This story seems to be good to read. I read someting similar about girl (age of 11, I think) who traveled due to ancient atlas which she found in attic of her new home. It was also series and I love it so maybe I love this series too. Thank for inspiring review.
Paliden

Post by Paliden »

Thanks, the series you mentioned sounds really interesting too. I think you would enjoy this!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”