Official Review: Enchanters: Glys of Myradelle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HateToWin
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hatetowin.html
Latest Review: "DIGGING A HOLE IN THE GROUND and other design classics" by Niall Hedderman
fav_author_id: 2456

Official Review: Enchanters: Glys of Myradelle

Post by HateToWin »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Enchanters: Glys of Myradelle" by David Bryan Russell.]
Book Cover for 2940013454682
Share This Review

Enchanters follows Glys Erlendson as she travels to Norway to visit relatives. She is an environmental activist who has always felt strongly connected to nature. While wandering through the forest she meets a mysterious woman, and after the encounter Glys starts seeing frightening visions. While trying to figure out what is happening to her she realizes that she is not a human, but rather a member of a race known as Enchanters.

As Glys sets back out into the woods to try and understand what is happening to her she comes across a number of creatures who see her as a future threat, she also comes across another Enchanter named Tarune who is sent to guide her safely to Myradelle, a world full of Enchanters. While he is trying to guide her to safety, she is trying to come to grips with what is happening around her.

This is a well written story with interesting characters and a beautifully described world. I enjoyed the mix of different worlds and how they were connected. All of the different settings, from the forests of Norway, to the realm of Myradelle, all the way to the the depths of the Underworld were well described, and all of them were immersive as well as interesting.

Although the environmental aspects of the story were good, oftentimes it felt like you were being beaten over the head with them. Anything man made, whether it be airplanes, buildings, or computers, seem to be viewed as evil by the Enchanters, and they even seem to view humans as evil. The problem with this is that some of the Enchanters, including Glys, used to be human, yet they still, for the most part, accept that humans are evil without much questioning.

Overall I feel the book is good. The characters are interesting, as is the world, and the story keeps your attention throughout. The environmental aspects worked well, even if they were too strong at points. I give this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Buy "Enchanters" on Amazon
Buy "Enchanters" on Barnes and Noble

Video trailer:
Latest Review: "DIGGING A HOLE IN THE GROUND and other design classics" by Niall Hedderman
Norma_Rudolph
Favorite Author: Mary Stewart
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4245">The Gift of Lies</a>
Currently Reading: Enchantment
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-norma-rudolph.html
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
fav_author_id: 10582

Post by Norma_Rudolph »

Thanks for a good review. I may like to read this.
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

Thanks for the great review.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

So many interesting books so little time! Well, thanks for the great review on this one.
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires
Indhira_Me
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-indhira-me.html

Post by Indhira_Me »

Thanks for the review. Another one added to to-read list :)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”