Official Review: Little Jimmy Says, "Same Is Lame"

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: Little Jimmy Says, "Same Is Lame"

Post by gali »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Little Jimmy Says, "Same Is Lame" by Jimmy Vee.]
Book Cover for 1860
Share This Review

This is a cute children book that centers on the theme of self-acceptance and self-image. There isn't much of a story here and it is more of a motivation book. This short, but poignant book, focuses on motivating children to embrace their differences and their unique personalities.

There are many books out there that teach kids to accept others on equal terms, but not enough books that teach kids to appreciate themselves. When kids start developing self-awareness, they are afraid to make waves and just want to be like their friends. I like books that encourage kids not to be afraid to stand out. This book shows the kids that nothing is wrong with being different, that diversity is cool and that your quirks make you shine. Kudos to the author for that!

I didn't realize at first that it was a kids' book. After I have finished reading the book, I decided to read the story to my 7 years old son and hear his opinion about this. The images were far too small to be read from my kindle, so I had to read him the story from the PC. My son love stories very much, so he was happy enough to listen and see the pictures on the PC. Although he prefers traditional books, he didn't mind the format at all.

According to the blurb, Jimmy Vee is known around the world as the "Five Foot High Marketing Guy." The book is based on his story I presume. Little Jimmy, the protagonist of the book, is a small guy with a big mission: to spread around the word that "Best things really do come in unique packages". Short he may be, but it sure didn't stop him from reaching his goals. Jimmy aims to help kids to find out what makes them unique and to teach them to take advantages of their strongest attributes. The message comes out loud and clear: being different is a gift and should be treated as such. To come on top, one has to believe in himself.

Being different is hard on a kid. My son is of the age where he learns that everyone is different and one shouldn't judge others, or be judged, by matters of size, race or other factors. The author manages to successfully convene the idea that it doesn't matter how you look, what matter is how you use your differences to the best. As I repeatedly tell my kids, the world would be a boring place indeed if we all looked and acted the same. To sum up in the author own words: "same is lame". One should respect others and respect himself to boot.

The book is simply written and it is great for ages 4-8. It was repetitive at times and I also found it a bit "preachy". I prefer stories in which the message is read between the lines so to speak. Other than that it was fine. What more, my son liked the story and didn't mind the preachy aspect. He is learning to find his own place in society and was encouraged by the idea that being different makes him a better person not less. He thought that being short is rather cool and liked the hero.

The book ends up with an empty page titled "What's unique about you" and the kids have to think about their own strengths in order to fill up the page. I liked the fact that the author gave the reader this option. I also liked author's positive outlook on life. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars and recommend it as a great book for kids. My son enjoyed the story and was captured by the pictures. The illustrations are awesome and fit the text like a glove. I would certainly recommend this book as an inspiring book for kids!

Buy "Little Jimmy Says, "Same Is Lame"" on Amazon
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

This looks really cute. One of my favorite children's books, "A Bad Case of the Stripes", is about being yourself. It also happens to be one of my daughter's favorites (probably because of the pictures, and that I have multiple voices for all the characters). Anyway, we may have to check this one out as well. Thank you for the wonderful review, as always.
gali

Post by gali »

ALRyder wrote:This looks really cute. One of my favorite children's books, "A Bad Case of the Stripes", is about being yourself. It also happens to be one of my daughter's favorites (probably because of the pictures, and that I have multiple voices for all the characters). Anyway, we may have to check this one out as well. Thank you for the wonderful review, as always.
Thank you for your kind words. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

Oooh, this sounds really good.. Great review! Will have to check it out.
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen
gali

Post by gali »

npandit wrote:Oooh, this sounds really good.. Great review! Will have to check it out.
Thank you. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

I agree with your review :) I've seen quite a few kids at my work enjoy this one already.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
gali

Post by gali »

kio wrote:I agree with your review :) I've seen quite a few kids at my work enjoy this one already.
Thank you :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Timea
Favorite Author: Edgar A. Poe
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =1580">The Dimension Scales and Other Stories</a>
Currently Reading: Arhipelagul Gulag I
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timea.html
Latest Review: "Murder Inc." by Christian Cipollini

Post by Timea »

I agree that self-acceptance is important for children, also in childhood the foundation of self-esteem is formed, so it is really great that the author focused on these aspects.

P.S. Great review, loved the personal nature of it, you mentioning the reaction of your child to the book:)
gali

Post by gali »

Barabas_T wrote:I agree that self-acceptance is important for children, also in childhood the foundation of self-esteem is formed, so it is really great that the author focused on these aspects.

P.S. Great review, loved the personal nature of it, you mentioning the reaction of your child to the book:)
Thank you for your comments and kind words :)

I think that reviews of kids' book should reflect the reaction of the kids as well, since they are the target audience. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Timea
Favorite Author: Edgar A. Poe
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =1580">The Dimension Scales and Other Stories</a>
Currently Reading: Arhipelagul Gulag I
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timea.html

Post by Timea »

gali wrote:
Barabas_T wrote:I agree that self-acceptance is important for children, also in childhood the foundation of self-esteem is formed, so it is really great that the author focused on these aspects.

Thank you for your comments and kind words :)

I think that reviews of kids' book should reflect the reaction of the kids as well, since they are the target audience. :)
Yes, that is so true...
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html

Post by ALRyder »

gali wrote:I think that reviews of kids' book should reflect the reaction of the kids as well, since they are the target audience. :)
Definitely, and that's the fun part of accepting these books. I loved introducing my daughter to a new poetry author I had found on this site.
raindropwriter
Favorite Author: Sophie Kinsella
Favorite Book: Twenties Girl
Currently Reading: Strugling for Justice
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raindropwriter.html
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
fav_author_id: 2960

Post by raindropwriter »

Wow an official review of a kid's book! A few hours ago, while searching for a new book to review, I was wondering if we get children books for review here and see I'm seeing you review one. :D This site is incredible! :) Gotta read this book now. :P Especially because of the title "Same is Lame" 8)

PS: There's some problem with the title of your topic. Instead of "" " is written
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
gali

Post by gali »

raindropwriter wrote:Wow an official review of a kid's book! A few hours ago, while searching for a new book to review, I was wondering if we get children books for review here and see I'm seeing you review one. :D This site is incredible! :) Gotta read this book now. :P Especially because of the title "Same is Lame" 8)

PS: There's some problem with the title of your topic. Instead of "" " is written
Thank you and I fixed it. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

I think it's great the author leaves a page open, so readers can fill it in themselves. Great review!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
gali

Post by gali »

Jesska6029 wrote:I think it's great the author leaves a page open, so readers can fill it in themselves. Great review!
Thank you :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”