Official Review: Dark and Dreadful Forest by C. David Louis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: Dark and Dreadful Forest by C. David Louis

Post by gali »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dark and Dreadful Forest" by C. David Louis.]
Book Cover for 1816
Share This Review

"Dark and Dreadful Forest" is a well written page-turning thriller, with a heavy dose of the paranormal, sets in the modern age Salem Village, Denver, Massachusetts. The author masterfully weaves preternatural, gothic setting, witchcraft, Egyptian mythology and suspense together. The writing style is truly unique and well-crafted. I fell in love with the writing from the very first sentence. The construction of the sentences is reminiscent of the gothic style of old. Such a distinguish style of writing, I didn't encounter for a long time.

The author incorporates the legend of Bastet, the Egyptian goddess of cats, into the story and waves a masterful tale. Bastet is featured in many stories and myths in the Egyptian Mythology. During ancient times domestic cats were regarded in Egypt as manifestations of the goddess Bastet, and as such were afforded a burial which included mummification. Such is also the story of the cat featured in this book with some subtle changes.

The story kicks off with the legend of the aged Egyptian Pharaoh Ramethus whom upon his deathbed, in his grand palace near the ancient city of Thebes, tells of a vision he had about his beloved cat Harlis. According to the legend the cat was granted nine lives for serving his master well and saving his child from harm. Furthermore, Basted herself granted our cat nine times ninety lives to watch over and assist kids in distress. If succeeded, the cat will win a heavenly reward. The cat isn't bound by time or space, or so the legend goes.

Time passes by and the plot moves forward into the present time Denver, Massachusetts, which is set on the unholy ground of the ancient Salem Village. The year is 1952, but the city isn't in any rush to embark modern times and it clings into its horrifying past. Thirteen generations has passed since the infamous "Salem Witch Hunts" of the 1690's, but the modern Salem Village is still affected from bygone dark times. The brutal witch hanging is foreshadowing the preset. It seemed the city will never live down its past, at least till two boys enter the picture.

This is the story of two boys of twelve, Timmy Tallent and Charlie Connors, who find themselves stuck in the middle of a conspiracy they will be lucky to get out from with the lives intact. Timmy and his family (his parents and a baby brother) live in a farm outside the city proper. Mr. Tallent is a history professor teaching at the nearby Clifton College. Charlie lives with his mom in the city proper. The two friends are dissimilar in character, but it doesn't affect their friendship. Timmy is responsible and serious, while Charlie is more rash and careless. Their differences balance each other.

One sultry summer evening, red head Charlie comes for a sleep over at Timmy's home. The boys plan to sleep over in the tree house at the back of the house. A strange black cat makes his first appearance at that point. He defends Timmy's brother from an evil deed and gets banished for his efforts. While the boys are up in the tree, something is afoot at the nearby forest. Evil winds are about and all hell is about to break loose. Timmy hears strange sounds outside and he and his friend sneak into the forest nearby to investigate the source of the chanting. They enter into the dark and dreadful forest and witness an odd sight. Hooded robbed People are standing around an altar, chanting and planning a blood curling sacrifice of a young girl in order to avenge wrongs of times past. Only the two boys bear witness to the planned evil. The wheels of the conspiracy are set in motion and the game is deadly. It is up to the boys and to one charmed cat to put a stop to the evil scheme.

Creepy atmosphere, Ancient Egyptian lore, good vs. evil, two brave boys and one mystic cat are only some of the Ingredients in this harrowing tale. The author uses the literary device of a story within a story. The story of the Salem is integrated into the present day story of Timmy and charley, by the way of diary entries written by a girl from those dark times. Thus it serves to illuminate the present and bring into the light a shadowy past.

The author deserves kudos for this intriguing tale. The unexpected writing set it apart and made it a truly amazing book. The author can sure keep the pace of the story up and the secrets that are revealed are exciting indeed. The dark atmosphere was well sketched and convincing to boot. The prose is so acerbic, the words jump out of the page and make the story comes to life. The descriptions of the Salem trials were well done and succeeded to bring to life the atmosphere of the period. I found myself sitting on the edge of my seat while reading some scenes. Although the story has some chilling scenes, they aren't that scary and the end is breath taking. The author certainly knows how to enchant his audience. The book gears toward the young adult audience, but will appeal to adults as well. I found the book a brilliant read. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it as a great read!

Buy "Dark and Dreadful Forest" on Amazon
Buy "Dark and Dreadful Forest" on Barnes and Noble
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Great review gali! Sounds like a great page turning book!
gali

Post by gali »

TrishaAnn92 wrote:Great review gali! Sounds like a great page turning book!
Thank you :D
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
CatDavidLouis
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by CatDavidLouis »

Gali, thank you. I'm honored that you should take the time to read and review my book. I'm thrilled that you liked it-- C. David Louis
gali

Post by gali »

CatDavidLouis wrote:Gali, thank you. I'm honored that you should take the time to read and review my book. I'm thrilled that you liked it-- C. David Louis
Thank you. It was my pleasure. :D

I hope you do plan to write more books. I really loved your style of writing. Good luck with the book! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

shayna
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shayna.html
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman

Post by shayna »

This sounds really interesting! Thank you for the great review
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman
gali

Post by gali »

shayna wrote:This sounds really interesting! Thank you for the great review
Thank you for your words and for responding. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

You have a convincing way of writing positive reviews, gali. I wanna read the book now! :D The luminescence of your words is inviting. I think I'll just have to read the rest of your reviews.
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
gali

Post by gali »

Nathrad Sheare wrote:You have a convincing way of writing positive reviews, gali. I wanna read the book now! :D The luminescence of your words is inviting. I think I'll just have to read the rest of your reviews.
Thank you for your kind words. :oops:

When I love a book, it is reflected in my reviews. :wink:
A retired Admin/Mod

Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

And I'm glad to see someone's interest really glow. :) In life there are too many times we forget to enjoy ourselves, forget how, even. Never lose the joy you have in books, gali. For one thing, it's wonderful to read.
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
gali

Post by gali »

Nathrad Sheare wrote:And I'm glad to see someone's interest really glow. :) In life there are too many times we forget to enjoy ourselves, forget how, even. Never lose the joy you have in books, gali. For one thing, it's wonderful to read.
Thank you and I won't. :D
A retired Admin/Mod

casper
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casper.html
Latest Review: "The Sanctuary" by Cassandra R. Siddons

Post by casper »

Thank you for your insightful review gali. This sounds like a really good read from an author to look out for in future.
Latest Review: "The Sanctuary" by Cassandra R. Siddons
gali

Post by gali »

casper wrote:Thank you for your insightful review gali. This sounds like a really good read from an author to look out for in future.
Thank you and it is!!!!! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

AndrewCollar
Favorite Author: R.A. Salvatore
Favorite Book: The Sea of Swords
Currently Reading: Invasion Cycle Book 1
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrewcollar.html

Post by AndrewCollar »

Wow that's a great review! I might have to check it out. Puts my first review to shame.. :-P
gali

Post by gali »

AndrewCollar wrote:Wow that's a great review! I might have to check it out. Puts my first review to shame.. :-P
Thank you. I am sure your review is fine. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”