Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2774

riceball05
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by riceball05 »

I remember crying over "Tortilla Flat" by John Steinbeck. I think I may have cried over "The Cat who went to Heaven" as well. I'm not sure about the author on that one.
Mrs.T
Favorite Author: William Blake
Favorite Book: The Kite Runner
Currently Reading: The Zombie Survival Guide
fav_author_id: 12304

Post by Mrs.T »

The time travelers wife! I cried for about twenty minutes straight. Really good book.
paulineee

Post by paulineee »

i cried over eclipse (or breaking dawn, im not so sure anymore lol) ...
and omgg i cried over "Before I Die" by Jenny Downham, its so depressing .. also "A Child Called It" by Dave Pelzer was just heart breaking ..

many of you said "Time Traveler's Wife"... what's this book about??

and I know "Lovely Bones" is narrated by a ghost, am i right?? is it supposed to be scary? lol cuz i mostly read at night and i dont wanna freak out and have a nightmare lol ...

how about although jessica?? is it a YA book?
Mrs.T
Favorite Author: William Blake
Favorite Book: The Kite Runner
Currently Reading: The Zombie Survival Guide
fav_author_id: 12304

Post by Mrs.T »

paulineee wrote:i cried over eclipse (or breaking dawn, im not so sure anymore lol) ...
and omgg i cried over "Before I Die" by Jenny Downham, its so depressing .. also "A Child Called It" by Dave Pelzer was just heart breaking ..

many of you said "Time Traveler's Wife"... what's this book about??

and I know "Lovely Bones" is narrated by a ghost, am i right?? is it supposed to be scary? lol cuz i mostly read at night and i dont wanna freak out and have a nightmare lol ...

how about although jessica?? is it a YA book?
Those books were good but didn't make me cry. Close though! And the time travelers wife is about a guy who travels through time. It's a love story. Don't want to say too much.
atrixa

Post by atrixa »

paulineee wrote:

It can be disturbing, but it isn't a horror.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Groucho Marx
US comedian with Marx Brothers (1890 - 1977)
archanadevi

Post by archanadevi »

I dont have any experience while reading a book. Sometimes feels guilty.
The Baron

Post by The Baron »

I never did, but the one that got me closest is actually a classic fable, "The little match girl"By Hans Christian Andersen.
bruce027

Post by bruce027 »

Like some other people have said--The Lovely Bones, My Sister's Keeper, The Notebook, The Wedding and especially the 3rd book of the Twilight Series, I can't even remember which one that is now but I pretty much cried the last 100 pages of that book!!
hannah.

Post by hannah. »

The notebook, Ps i love you and My sister's keeper. i really want to read The time traveller's wife as i've been told it is really good!
joask

Post by joask »

A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines is the latest book that I read that really made me cry.
textbookonly

Post by textbookonly »

The Dark Side of Midnight: by Sidney Sheldon will make you cry as you come across the dark side of the life of women if they wish to be successful in life.
atrixa

Post by atrixa »

The Baron wrote:I never did, but the one that got me closest is actually a classic fable, "The little match girl"By Hans Christian Andersen.
I read that when I was really little, but I was too young to really understand it.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Groucho Marx
US comedian with Marx Brothers (1890 - 1977)
cfdemarco

Post by cfdemarco »

I almost teared up at the ending of the His Dark Materials trilogy, which surprised me because books and movies and such usually do not get to me like that.
MissSerendipity

Post by MissSerendipity »

The Dark Tower by Stephen King. I was holding the book under my desk during class and reading it while we were supposed to be watching Romeo and Juliet. My teacher thought I was crying because of the movie, but it was only ten minutes in.... :roll:
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

"The Bridges of Madison County" certainly turned on the taps for me. Recently "The Archivist's Story" Travis Holland andfrom the past Tolstoy's "Anna Karenina". But I could go on all night .....

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”