Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2774

atrixa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Books that have made you cry?

Post by atrixa »

Tell us what books have had you bawling like a baby. For me, the only one i can think of is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Groucho Marx
US comedian with Marx Brothers (1890 - 1977)
xoxo

Post by xoxo »

umm i don't know why
but i never was really intrested in Harry Potter books
Don't get me wrong i'm a big fan of the authors wide imagination
I don't know why i never bought one and read it ?! :?
anyway the book that really got me crying is "the life before her eyes" by Laura Kasischke .. LoL and i'm not that sensitive so I was shocked but it was heart touching
Ragenild

Post by Ragenild »

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
We Have Always Lived in the Castle, by Shirley Jackson

There've probably been more, those are just the ones I can think of....
San1968

Post by San1968 »

I cry at so many books that I have lost count but the ones that I found heart wrenching are "In the Memory of the forest" by Charles T Powers (one of the most amazing books I have ever read) and "Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources" by Marcel Pagnol. But I also have to admit that the James Herriot books made me laugh and cry in equal measure.
The Real Macai

Post by The Real Macai »

I've cried several times over books. Baltimore, by Mike Mignola and Christopher Golden, had me crying at Lord Baltimore's more tragic experiences.
atrixa

Post by atrixa »

God, just remembered a really obvious one- The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffinegger. I wept for days...
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Groucho Marx
sisterhoney61

Post by sisterhoney61 »

The one that always makes me cry is A Snowflake in My Hand by Samantha Mooney.
blue_diamond21

Post by blue_diamond21 »

The end of Lovely Bones had me weeping and i always said it wasnt my kind of book, I was so wrong!!!! Cant wait for the movie :D
Don't judge a book by it's cover - not always good advice
Ellipsis

Post by Ellipsis »

East of Eden by John Steinbeck, got me crying twice actually.

We had to read it for senior year and the day it was due, I was amazed when the first thing the teacher asked was "Okay, did anybody cry when reading this book?" Turns out she and I actually cried at the same parts. :)
sSs

Post by sSs »

There's only one book that ever got my eyes wet and its Edgcar Swatelle
LaBellaVienna

Post by LaBellaVienna »

Hi, im new but i figured i would chip in?

the one book i think have ever made me shed tears of anger and outrage was probably "Slave: My STory" by Mende Nazer.

anyone wants to read a book on modern slavery and its impact? uve gotta read this book because it makes every other book seem mediocre.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

"Narrative on the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave". If you can read this book without feeling some of this mans pain, then you are not human.
atrixa

Post by atrixa »

blue_diamond21 wrote:The end of Lovely Bones had me weeping and i always said it wasnt my kind of book, I was so wrong!!!! Cant wait for the movie :D
Oh, that's on my pile of books to read! Better get some Kleenex...

Groucho Marx
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

The first book that made me cry was Bridge to Terabithia, which I read in the fifth grade. Most recently, My Sister's Keeper made me cry tears of fury. There have been so many others in between. Growing up I used to cry at the end of long books or series just because I'd knew I'd miss the characters.

What sets apart the books that make you cry? Affection for the characters? Style of writing? Are people who cry when they read books just more emotional?
sazlan

Post by sazlan »

I cry for almost any book (I'm really emotional with that kind of thing...I've even cried during adverts). The Harsh Cry of the Heron by Lian Hearn, PS I Love you by Celia Ahern, the end of the Tears of Artamon trilogy by Sarah Ash, Harry Potter...the list goes on and on...

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”