Official Review: Kill Your Dragon by AK Twelvetrees

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lovebooks10
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovebooks10.html
Latest Review: "Shades" by Rose Jones

Official Review: Kill Your Dragon by AK Twelvetrees

Post by lovebooks10 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kill Your Dragon: Reboot Your Credit Rating and Live Debt Free." by AK Twelvetrees.]

Kill Your Dragon: Reboot Your Credit Rating and Live Debt Free is written by A.K. Twelvetrees. This is a non-fiction, self help book. The so-called dragon from the title is a person's debt, and the purpose of reading this is to help people become debt free and less stressed.

The author starts out by giving the total debt in the USA and telling how many are affected by debt and how it has nothing to do with how smart or educated the person is. The author writes how he is not judging anyone as he had his own problems with debt. Also, how not only does debt cause people to struggle financially but emotionally as well. How debt can cause stress and even relationship problems.

Then you read about a couple named Sam and Amy. How Sam came into the relationship already in debt and didn't tell Amy. Then how they get progressively sucked into being more in debt. This is just an example and every persons story will be a little different but the outcome is the same, being in debt. There are seven main points that everyone's story about debt probably has, such as, starting out with great credit getting a high spending card and available income decreasing as you pay more in increasing amount of debt. There is also a little test to see where you, the reader, are in area of debt.

The author also shares own story of dealing with debt. Which started out with hoping to get a new job and buying new clothes and shoes on a credit card.

There is also a section on how to start digging yourself out of credit card and store card debt. Which I found very amusing. Things such as renaming your cards with a bad name and some funny visualizations.

I personally thought this book was a fast read and entertaining. It was not a preaching book, but rather put the information in an easy way. Most of the information people may know like you pay more for something when you buy it with a credit card. But, sometimes people like to stay oblivious to these things and this book is trying to tell people to add up the debt they have and work on getting rid of it. I feel like many people could get a use out of reading this book and hopefully it will help to open there eyes about the way they view credit cards. I know out of personal experience that I wish I would have thought about credit cards differently when I was younger as well.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Buy "Kill Your Dragon: Reboot Your Credit Rating and Live Debt Free." on Amazon
cindy1966
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by cindy1966 »

Self help books are always good for information and guidance on how to proceed in a particular predicament and if the book is entertaining as well that is always a plus. Will definitely have to read.
chrishegan

Post by chrishegan »

Disappointing review, I have to say. I'm not a total grammar freak but some of the sentences were actually incoherent: what does this actually mean? "Most of the information people may know like you pay more for something."
But what I wanted to know was 'Does the book live up to its title? Will you learn some nifty way of attacking your debt situation?' and the review fails to answer this obvious question.
Reviewing the review: Half a star.
tara625
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tara625.html

Post by tara625 »

Did the author mention his credentials? I love books about financial freedom, but I only want to learn from people who are professionals in their field.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

tara625 wrote:Did the author mention his credentials? I love books about financial freedom, but I only want to learn from people who are professionals in their field.
Very valid point. Too many people are taken in by so called financial advisors who have neither experience or qualification in the area - many also are shadow promotors of particular products/services. I freely admit to being a confirmed skeptic in the area of self-help books and IMO the only people whose financial position is helped by these books are the authors and publishers of the books ... but that's just my opinion. Caveat emptor :wink:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
lashay00
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lashay00.html

Post by lashay00 »

I really want to read this I'm just starting out and trying to build up my credit. I think this might be te perfect book to help me get my credit where and should be and avoid getting myself bad credit.
lovebooks10

Post by lovebooks10 »

It couldn't hurt to read it!
legodfre
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-legodfre.html

Post by legodfre »

This is such an important topic, and I would love to give the book a shot. However I agree that often these self help books lack credentials. So many people feel ready to give financial advice without any real experience in the industry. While personal experience in managing one's own assets is helpful, I would hope that the author has some sort of background in banking or finance as well. Interested to read this myself.
Reader B
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-b.html
Latest Review: "Stronghold, by Backwoods" by Backwoods

Post by Reader B »

I just love the title! That's what got me here to read the review. I agree that it is important to know something about the author of any self help book before you read it.
Latest Review: "Stronghold, by Backwoods" by Backwoods
lovebooks10

Post by lovebooks10 »

The title is very amusing. I really can't remember if the author had any background in finances or if his advice was just based off his experiences.
COKE08

Post by COKE08 »

SOunds like something that I can use in real life as am sure others can relate to credit woes.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”