4 Great Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ell
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ell »

I think that "Gone with the wind" can also be considered as great book
sally82

Post by sally82 »

avidreader40 wrote:All great reads and all books HS students are forced to read Image As for Catcher in the Rye I didn't really appreciate how amazing it is until years later.
Yes, HS students must read these books. Thanks for the recommendation. :D
Radecal

Post by Radecal »

Enduring Love by Ian McEwan.
Shue

Post by Shue »

i didn't like The Catcher in the Rye at all. i think a must read is Animal Farm as well as Wuthering Heights and To Kill a Mockingbird.

really enjoyed these 3 among so many of the great classics!
hyukawa

Post by hyukawa »

i agree students learn a lot from these books. but i bet we can spice things up by giving them something like "if you meet the buddha on the road, kill him!" by sheldon kopp. great stuff, good for emotional development of teenagers.
i remember my high school english teacher also told me to read "zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance."
climbinggirl4

Post by climbinggirl4 »

I've read all of those but Farenheit 451, and I've heard so much about it, and I really want to read it. Catcher in the Rye is one of my favorite books ever. I love Holden Caulfield. I have to admit that I completely hated 1984. I couldn't imagine a world like that, I couldn't double-think. And I didn't like Of Mice and Men, I thought it was really sad. I love John Steinbeck's style of writing, though, especially in the Grapes of Wrath, one of other most favorite books.

I highly recommend Wuthering Heights. I thought that book was amazing. [/quote]
atrixa

Post by atrixa »

Out of those four, I've read The Catcher in the Rye and Of Mice and Men. I liked Of Mice and Men once we started analysing it in class. I always liked the detail of Curley's wife not having a name, like she wasn't that important.
I read Catcher recently, and I have to say, although I liked the theme of Holden's difficulty in making the transition from childhood to adulthood, the writing was annoying. The repetition of certain words or phrases like 'phoney' or 'that killed me' made me want to chuck the book out of the window. Not one of my favourites.
JacquiJordan

Post by JacquiJordan »

"All other threads in the "Reviews, Recommendations and Warnings" forum must be limited to one book or series per thread"

YOUR RULES, NOT MINE. :lol:
mohses

Post by mohses »

didn't like The Catcher in the Rye at all. i think a must read is Animal Farm as well as Wuthering Heights and To Kill a Mockingbird.
SHUE! , i can`t agree more , srry scotty but the novel is as lame assed as it gets , the only reason such a mills @ boon novel found classic status is becuase it was in the back pocket of mark chapman when he shot john lennon in central park . neither is (or was ) relevant to adolecence, TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD , by a country mile as a epic novel ,
sheaman

Post by sheaman »

SHUE! , i can`t agree more , srry scotty but the novel is as lame assed as it gets , the only reason such a mills @ boon novel found classic status is becuase it was in the back pocket of mark chapman when he shot john lennon in central park . neither is (or was ) relevant to adolecence, TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD , by a country mile as a epic novel
The book maybe became more famous because of the John Lennon thing, but the book had already achieved it's status from litterary readers before then.
marksmithh

Post by marksmithh »

Hi !!

Reading books is my hobby since I was a child.

I enjoy all Chales dicken's Novels specially Great Expectations.

Now I am into a job so I try to read out more and more online leadership books and leadership articles related to sharpening management skills.

It helps me a lot in building my personality.

Mark Smith
kamakshijasra

Post by kamakshijasra »

I have read 1984 by George Orwell. I feel its way ahead of its time...In India we do not really have a reading list in school. But we do have a peer culture that pushes us to read... Has anyone read Mansfield Park?
kamakshijasra

Post by kamakshijasra »

Shue wrote:i didn't like The Catcher in the Rye at all. i think a must read is Animal Farm as well as Wuthering Heights and To Kill a Mockingbird.

really enjoyed these 3 among so many of the great classics!
Animal Farm was alright. I think its a book you can read when you are 13.But To Kill a mocking bird is fantastic. Fit for all.
vorsta

Post by vorsta »

Yes, it's great books, but for me very interesting suite- Catcher in the Rye and Fahrenheit451. It's very diferent genres.
akl

Post by akl »

marksmithh wrote:Hi !!

Reading books is my hobby since I was a child.

I enjoy all Chales dicken's Novels specially Great Expectations.

Now I am into a job so I try to read out more and more online leadership books and leadership articles related to sharpening management skills.

It helps me a lot in building my personality.

Mark Smith
I love Charles Dickens' work. I just finished a major paper analyzing Mr. Micawber in David Copperfield.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”