Official Review: Fathers House by C. Edward Baldwin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: Fathers House by C. Edward Baldwin

Post by gali »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fathers House" by C. Edward Baldwin.]
Book Cover for 1418
Share This Review

I will start from the bottom line: this is one helluva of page turner! From the very first chapter, the author has drawn me into the narrative hook, line and sinker. Before I even noticed, I found myself biting my nails while awaiting for further developments. It isn't a breath taking kind of suspense mind you, but the suspense is there all the same. The author does an excellent job of building up the mystery in a natural way. At one point I even mumbled to myself that the author is just brilliant! Any book that can keep one on the edge of one's seat, as was the case here, is definitely a book worth reading!

"Fathers House" is a well written thriller, with a touch of a psychological aspect, set in the fictitious South Carolina city of Duraliegh. It is not a whodunit book, but more of a police procedural one. Unlike traditional mysteries where the criminal's identity is concealed till the very end, here the reader is made aware almost from the start what is going on, or thinks he is …

This book is about fathers and sons and the success of one determined man to overcome his lame start in life to better himself. The story is centered on both Duraleigh's assistant district attorney, Ben Lovison, and on Fathers House, a home for wayward boys which heads by Mayo Fathers. Ben has moved to Fathers House at the tender age of thirteen, shortly after he was a terrified witness to the senseless murder of his mother. His father he has never known to his lasting sorrow. With the support of Mayo, Ben has managed to graduate college and law school and quickly became a rising star in the district attorney office. At this time of the story, Ben he is happily married man and the proud father of twins, no less.

Ben soon discovers that one can't escape the tendrils of the past when an ongoing investigation of a murder case leads him to the bowls of earth (aka Father House) in a matter of speaking. Something is rotten in Duraleig and it isn't the view… What Ben discovers forces him to face up painful truths and to revive his past and all that it entitles. On the surface Duraleig is an ideal place to live in with the lowest crime rate in the country. However, every Eden has got its snake and Duraleig has his very own...

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I greatly enjoyed the book and found it a great read. The premise was sound, the execution supreme and the characters endearing and realistic to boot. I also liked the writing and the way the story was folded before my very eyes. The author did an excellent job portraying the characters. Introducing the characters' background into the plot has deepened the story line and humanized the characters. I especially liked Ben and rooted out for him.

Drug cartel, bribes, corruptions in high places, conspiracy, a touching dad and son relationship, all these and more are just portions of this engaging book. Every time I have thought that I had the mystery all figured out, the author succeeded to pull up the rug under my feet. Every loose string was tied up nicely. The author managed to strike a balance between action and internal occurrence. The plot has continuous twists and surprises in store, but still reflected the psychological depth of the characters. Have I mentioned that I loved the book?? I would recommend this book as an excellent read to all lovers of the genre. If you are in the mood for an unconventional thriller book look no further!

Buy "Fathers House" on Amazon
Buy "Fathers House" on Barnes and Noble
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
SneakyReviewer007
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sneakyreviewer007.html

Post by SneakyReviewer007 »

A fantastic review Gali. it sounds like "One Helluva Read!" . I'll be doing my best to figure it out too.. Looks like a great book.. Has all the right elements for sure.
gali

Post by gali »

Thank you kindly for your compliment. Enjoy~ :D
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Edkurt1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Edkurt1 »

Hello Gali, I do appreciate you taking the time to review my book. Many Thanks!
C. Edward Baldwin
gali

Post by gali »

Edkurt1 wrote:Hello Gali, I do appreciate you taking the time to review my book. Many Thanks!
C. Edward Baldwin
My pleasure. Good luck with your book and looking forward to read more of your books. :D
A retired Admin/Mod

Kappy
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

Great review! It sounds like Mr. Baldwin has come up with a winner!
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
gali

Post by gali »

Kappy wrote:Great review! It sounds like Mr. Baldwin has come up with a winner!
Thank you. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Wow gali! Amazing review! I am going to have to check this book out.
gali

Post by gali »

TrishaAnn92 wrote:Wow gali! Amazing review! I am going to have to check this book out.
A retired Admin/Mod

kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds really suspenseful :D
Unlike traditional mysteries where the criminal's identity is concealed till the very end, here the reader is made aware almost from the start what is going on, or thinks he is …
and that made it very intriguing. Great review!
gali

Post by gali »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds really suspenseful :D
Unlike traditional mysteries where the criminal's identity is concealed till the very end, here the reader is made aware almost from the start what is going on, or thinks he is …
and that made it very intriguing. Great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

A fantastic review, gali. From your writing I get that the theme of fatherhood is one of the major in the book. That intrigues me. I might read the book.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
gali

Post by gali »

chytach18- wrote:A fantastic review, gali. From your writing I get that the theme of fatherhood is one of the major in the book. That intrigues me. I might read the book.
Thank you. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did, if you decide to read it. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”