Official Review: A Prize for All Saints by Don Santina

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
fever33
Favorite Author: Stuart Woods
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Unintended consequences
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fever33.html
Latest Review: "The Lubyanka Strategy" by Bob Bonelli
fav_author_id: 13261

Official Review: A Prize for All Saints by Don Santina

Post by fever33 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Prize for All Saints" by Don Santina.]
Book Cover for 9781626754331
Share This Review

A Prize for All Saints, written by Don Santina, is a historical fiction novel that contains archeology, history, culture, and even a little baseball. This novel is like a mix between The DaVinci Code and Indian Jones.

The story starts out in San Francisco, California, in 1929. Here we meet a young nun, Sister Agatha, walking to the convent. She is carrying a newspaper with an article about the Peking Man, the supposed "missing link." The story then jumps to 1944 in World War Two. Lieutenant John Maletesta is with his infantry in the Philippines. They manage to hold off the Japanese. Until, a surprise attack by a Japanese non-com, leads to Maletesta losing an arm. Maletesta, devastated, will never be able to play baseball again.

Don Santina moves us ahead two years to 1946. We find out that Maletesta is now an English professor at the College of All Saints, where Sister Agatha is the president. Sister Agatha asks Maletesta and two other professors, Hombardt and Willis, to go on an expedition to Borneo to dig up the Borneo Man, which happens to be the most recent "missing link." On the way, the trio comes face to face with many dangers. Will they escape the Malay pirates? Will they find the missing link?

A Prize for All Saints , written by Don Santina, is a wonderful, fast-paced novel. There are so many twists and turns that it keeps the readers on their toes. It is a well-written, and well-researched, novel. For these reasons, I give it 4 out of 4 stars. It had all the elements that I enjoy in a good story. It had suspense, historical facts, and relatable characters, just to name a few.

Don Santina is a dynamic writer that clearly does his research and incorporates true historical data into his fictional novel. If you enjoy Indiana Jones, The DaVinci Code, or the movie National Treasure, then pick up a copy of this book. I just hope this is not the only time we will see John Maletesta. I would like to see this turned into a series.

Buy "A Prize for All Saints" on Amazon
Buy "A Prize for All Saints" on Barnes and Noble
Latest Review: "The Lubyanka Strategy" by Bob Bonelli
KSGalDrew
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksgaldrew.html

Post by KSGalDrew »

Although, this is not the type of book that would usually catch my eye I do want to check it out now.
signed
Bookshelf Size: 41

Post by signed »

Thanks for the review!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

It seems like the book has a lot going for it: suspense, historical facts, and relatable characters. Good job on the review. Congratulations to the author for getting a positive review! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
chocomeiske
Favorite Author: Ben Galley
Currently Reading: The Prey
Bookshelf Size: 4152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chocomeiske.html
Latest Review: "The Last Bucelarii (Book 1): Blade of the Destroyer" by Andy Peloquin
fav_author_id: 11401

Post by chocomeiske »

I like the sound of Indiana Jones. Davinci Code and National Treasure all rolled into one. After reading the sample, I feel sure this comparison is correct. Great job on the review and congratulations to the author on being BOTD.
Latest Review: "The Last Bucelarii (Book 1): Blade of the Destroyer" by Andy Peloquin
Esies98
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esies98.html

Post by Esies98 »

I've always enjoyed stories filled with action and adventure, I liked the review although I think some of the information you gave might spoil the beginning of the story for some. Thank you anyway
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

This definitely sounds intriguing. Read the sample - very fast-paced start. Would enjoy the rest of it, wish you had put actual spoilers in there... ;)
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
dina s
Currently Reading: Taken - A Many Lives Story
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by dina s »

I do love Indiana Jones, The DaVinci Code, National Treasure, so this book is right up my alley, lol :)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great review! I really like how the author used the "missing link" as the basis of his story. I do like learning as I read, so the historical facts definitely peaked my interest! Congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review! :D
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
MandalynnJDG
Currently Reading: Spirituality for REAL
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalynnjdg.html
Latest Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by MandalynnJDG »

I really enjoyed your review. It is good to know when an author does great research on a book. Some of the authors just kind of wing it and it takes away from details that could make the book more enlightening.
Amanda Zarth
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Amanda Zarth »

Although the review really gives you an insight of the book and leaves you curious to read it, I thought the construction of the text was not as good as it could have been. The sentences were short and too direct, whereas I personally like reviews with more analisys and dissertation.
So, basically: good review, made me want to read the book - but also made me want to edit what was written
AbbyC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbyc.html
Latest Review: "Truth and Love; Enchanting Echoes; Elohim's Decree-The Dimension of the Soul; Fount of freedom; Angel of My Life" by Grace Ruto

Post by AbbyC »

"If you enjoy Indiana Jones, The DaVinci Code, or the movie National Treasure, then pick up a copy of this book."
Sounds like I need to go grab this book! Great review!
Latest Review: "Truth and Love; Enchanting Echoes; Elohim's Decree-The Dimension of the Soul; Fount of freedom; Angel of My Life" by Grace Ruto
Seraphia Bunny Sparks
Currently Reading: Lying Lainey
Bookshelf Size: 653
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seraphia-bunny-sparks.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah
Reading Device: B01J94T4R2

Post by Seraphia Bunny Sparks »

With so much coming together to make this book such a unique read I'm sure it will be hard to put it down! Thanks for the awesome review! Can't wait to read this book myself!
jungkookblog
Currently Reading: Unspeakable Acts
Bookshelf Size: 217
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jungkookblog.html

Post by jungkookblog »

Indiana Jones is a great movie. I would recommend it to those who enjoyed Indiana Jones. It gives me a sweet adventurist feel. Must be hard to put it down.
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: The Witching Hour
Bookshelf Size: 3837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

This sounds like a great historical novel with a lot of twists and turns. Thanks for the fantastic review.
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”