Official Review: Drowning by Susan Wingate

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
taylorhudson310
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylorhudson310.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Official Review: Drowning by Susan Wingate

Post by taylorhudson310 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Drowning" by Susan Wingate.]

The author of this book, Susan Wingate, knew exactly what she wanted to express when she wrote this story. The present day time setting along with the characters and back stories kept my interest intact. I especially enjoyed the flash backs within the novel when the main character, Euly, had time alone to think. Euly, herself, is a self efficient woman, who doesn’t take any grief from anyone around her and that is truly inspiring. As for the rest of the characters, they are the typical American family; self absorbed at times but worried about Euly when the need is warranted; they remind me of my own family.

What did I like most? I particularly liked Euly and her personality as she reminds me of myself. She knows what she wants and needs and she’s not afraid to express it to those around her. Euly is a very independent woman with no fears about what people think about her and her decisions, when she needs to have time alone, she gets it. When she feels hurt or unappreciated she tells it like it is and ventures off on her own to think.

What did I not enjoy? Euly’s husband Geoff what one character I particularly didn’t like. In a way their relationship reminded me of the couple from the movie Fried Green Tomatoes, for those who haven’t seen that movie I will not add any spoilers. When Euly tries talking to him about how she feels he puts her down or attempts to twist it to make it about him and not her. Being a woman of sound and mind I know having a relationship like that is unhealthy.

Now, as for the author and her writing skills; Susan Wingate has a keen eye and sense of creativity. She portrays the characters in such a way that they are all individuals. She writes sensationally with perfect structure and punctuation. She keeps the chapters short to make the story upbeat and not boring, something I enjoy in the books I read. Chapters that are thirty to forty pages long can get dreary and tiring to read whereas chapters that are under twenty pages long keep you on your toes and make you want to read more.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Overall, I will definitely be recommending this book to friends and family. This book is good for anyone who enjoys reading; from teenage years to being an adult this book can keep anyone interested.

Buy "Drowning" on Amazon

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”