Official Review: The Rescue by Carolyn Reardon Neuman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fawkse
Currently Reading: Storm of Swords
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fawkse.html
Latest Review: "Once Humans" by Massimo Marino

Official Review: The Rescue by Carolyn Reardon Neuman

Post by Fawkse »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Rescue" by Carolyn Reardon Neuman.]

The book I chose to review was a non-fiction piece titled “The Recue”, written by Carolyn Reardon Neuman. All around, I actually enjoyed the book, although I had a few doubts at first. The writer has a very interesting style of writing though. I’d like to take the chance to explain my view on this piece. There are several good points regarding this particular book, with very few bad.

I actually had a hard time putting it down for several reasons. Mrs. Neuman writes with such a strong ability to help you relate, and heartfelt emotion. She makes it feel as if you are watching and participating in her life. You can actually envision yourself there, feeling what she feels, seeing what she sees. The story itself can be quite a tear-jerker, adding the my obvious inability to set down the book for long. The imagery, setting and descriptive nature of the book actually brings you into the entire story. Meeting all these people (Characters from the book) makes you feel as if you know them, or are one of the author’s good friends. Everything is so “down to earth”.

One of the best things I found with this author over others is that she doesn’t bog down the writing with being too wordy, or obsessing over descriptions. She uses what she needs to and gets the point across. I have read several books that are either long winded, too wordy, or overly described. It gets very dull after a while. However, this author does nothing of the sort! She treats the reader as if they were an old friend to whom she was relaying the entire story, thus keeping them involved.

A few of the things I didn’t like were the repeating words, poor punctuation (although it does not detract from the story itself), and (very few) grammar issues. While these points did not alter the story in a significant way, they were of mild annoyance.

All in all, it was a VERY enjoyable read. I would recommend it to as many people as possible. Given the chance, I would (and might) read it again! I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Buy "The Rescue" on Amazon
tara625
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tara625.html

Post by tara625 »

Can you provide a short summary of what the book is about? That would help me understand your review a little better.
Fawkse

Post by Fawkse »

The author rescues a dog, after much decision making with her family. The progression of the dog from rescue to saved leads into the slow decline of the author's health, and being "rescued" by the dog, and finally to her ascent back into moderate health. She describes it as a full circle. She rescued him, and then he rescued her.
Ejerwing
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejerwing.html
Latest Review: "Men's Health Over 50" by CW Piper

Post by Ejerwing »

Sounds like a really nice story, I always love reading about the bonds between dogs and their owners. Thanks for adding a little more about the story to your review!
Latest Review: "Men's Health Over 50" by CW Piper
gpkipling
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gpkipling.html

Post by gpkipling »

I definitely think I would enjoy this book...it sounds very illuminating...
Fawkse

Post by Fawkse »

I really recommend it! Pick it up today! It was rather difficult to put down!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”