Official Review: Travels With a Road Dog By R.K.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
missg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missg.html
Latest Review: "The Farmer's Fate" by A TRAUB

Official Review: Travels With a Road Dog By R.K.

Post by missg »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Travels With A Road Dog: Hitchhiking Along the Roads of the Americas" by RK.]
Book Cover for 9781478348467
Share This Review

The adventures of a 20- year old girl, who wants more in life than what a small town in Alabama has to offer. Travels with a Road Dog: Hitchhiking Along the Roads of the Americas by R.K. is her non-fictional story. What starts off as just an interest to attend a Rainbow Gathering, a camp site in which the people live temporarily off of nature, turns into months of traveling around different states? The unique parts about these trips are that with very little money Kathryn “Rajam” Roose or R.K. begins to hitchhike across North America and parts of South America.

My first initial response to just reading the synopsis about a 20 year old girl hitchhiking through different states was that this girl is completely insane. I mean receiving rides from unknown people to get to her destination just seemed crazy not to mention dangerous. Moreover, I was curious to find the real reason she decided to travel, besides being tired of living in Montevallo, Alabama.

I began reading and I became deeply enthralled in the book because I understood her interests in with the Rainbow Gatherings but I became even more interested as she traveled to different states for the gatherings and she began to hitchhike. R.K., meets some very interesting people that traveled along with her for a while. The travel times of most of R.K.’s hitchhiking companions were a minimum of a few days to a couple of months. Most of her companions would decide to stay in a particular state and say their goodbyes and go their own separate ways, When R.K. and her companions would hitchhike together, I was surprised by how many people were actually nice and provided rides, food and sometimes a place to spend the night for R.K. and sometimes her companions if they traveled with her.

My favorite parts of the book Travels with a Road Dog: Hitchhiking Along the Roads of the Americas by R.K. were the trips to Florida, Bahamas, Mexico and Venezuela for she experienced different trials and everyday challenges both good and some bad but she made it through and did not stop traveling. R.K. sometimes traveled the roads alone and without a companion, with the exception of her dog, Jambo. I enjoyed hearing about the very generous hospitality that the Mexicans showed to R.K. during her travels. Also, the good hospitality showed towards R.K. in Venezuela, as she made this journey with just her dog, Jambo. I found at times that the Mexicans and Venezuelans appeared more generous than the Americans, which really was no surprise. In the book, I think that on the road R.K. developed a great sense of humility, whereas, she did not have much food or money but she seemed extremely happy in her quest to the unknown. Not to mention, there were times where she had to find places to sleep and food to eat, but she did not worry much and things seemed to work themselves out for the best. R.K. also learned to pack just the basic minimal things that she needed and she just made decisions on a whim.

After reading the book Travels with a Road Dog: Hitchhiking Along the Roads of the Americas by R.K. I had a full understanding of why R.K. decided to travel. She was a girl from a small town in Alabama that just wanted to experience more out of life and travel to places that she had never been to. I think the general reading audience can relate to this book and even gain a better appreciation for it reading the book. The author was very courageous for taking a chance on exploring the unknown and I am unsure if most readers could actually go what the author did, especially if they were a woman. I was unsure at first about reading this book because I read a lot of fictional stories and I was unsure if this book would even pique my interest. However, after reading the first page, I had to continue reading. I felt that I was right there with the author on her adventures and I am glad that I decided to read the book. I would give this book a rating of a 3 because it was very good, but I had a little trouble keeping up with the dates in the book. The author did mention different seasons passing but sometimes I was confused about the year or even the current month in the book. Otherwise, I would have rated a 4 and it was far too good to receive lower than a three.

I encourage readers to partake in the adventure with R.K. in her book Travels with a Road Dog: Hitchhiking Along the Roads of the Americas, and I do not think you will be disappointed. Honestly, this is one of the best non-fictional books that I have read in a long time. I feel that it really opened my eyes to how resourceful the reader was in finding food, a place to rest and even money. In a current world full of technology and such, most people, including myself, would not know how to basically live in nature because most of us are used to having access to food, money, etc. It would truly be a humbling, eye-opening experience for us all to go through the same adventures as the author in this book.

I do not think that I would have the audacity, especially as a woman, to take off and travel especially by hitchhiking. In that sense, the author has my uttermost respect. Thank you so much for sharing your adventures and experiences with the rest of the world! You truly had the ganas (desire) to accomplish what you wanted in life as a 20-year old girl. I will remember this book Travels with a Road Dog: Hitchhiking Along the Roads of the Americas forever :D

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Buy "Travels With A Road Dog: Hitchhiking Along the Roads of the Americas" on Amazon
Buy "Travels With A Road Dog: Hitchhiking Along the Roads of the Americas" on Barnes and Noble
Travels-RoadDog
Favorite Author: No favorites
Favorite Book: No favorites but can recomend many
Currently Reading: The Mind and the Brain + One River
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Travels-RoadDog »

Thanks for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. I've heard similar complaint about time formatting my story and will work on that. I lived for almost five years with no sense of time and I let that slip while writing the story. Thanks again for your time!

Warmly,
Rajam aka RK
missg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missg.html

Post by missg »

You are welcome and it was indeed a pleasure to read your book!
paatjam

Post by paatjam »

The book seems as though the travels and the adventure are what shapes the author. The adage, "it is not the destination, but it is the journey" seems appropriate when the traveling life bring you many interesting pitfalls that you meager through for victory at every single turn. I would like to potentially read the book. It seems better to travel with a road dog like Jambo.
bnssnb25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bnssnb25.html

Post by bnssnb25 »

This was rather a long review. However, from reading this review I would consider reading this book.
legodfre
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-legodfre.html

Post by legodfre »

A long review but what great detail! Thank you for the great review, this book is definitely on my list now.
Elizabeth Rogers 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-rogers-47.html

Post by Elizabeth Rogers 47 »

I definitely want to read this book.
sahmoun2778
Favorite Author: Dana Stabenow
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahmoun2778.html
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Reading Device: 1400698987
fav_author_id: 10781

Post by sahmoun2778 »

The review was very interesting. I am always intrigued by the stories of people who choose to experience life in a non-traditional way. I think I would definitely be interested in reading this book.
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”