Official Review: There be Dragons by Peter Hallett

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saoirse200
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saoirse200.html
Latest Review: "Trespass" by Christopher M. Gibbons

Official Review: There be Dragons by Peter Hallett

Post by Saoirse200 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "There Be Dragons" by Peter Hallett.]

There be Dragons appealed to me because I have always had an interest in the Vietnam War and in mysterious creatures such as dragons. There be Dragons is unlike any other novel I have ever read, I knew the concept of dragons in the Vietnam War was a bit strange yet I still thought that this book could have been predictable, I was wrong.

The plot is based in Vietnam 1968, the plot is about Lieutenant Jacobs, Sergeant Stephens and their platoon as they embark on a top secret mission that is assigned by the C.I.A.There is a lot of action in this novel which I love, but at times I found certain action scenes to be a bit chaotic to read. I usually hate overly-descriptive books but I would have liked There be Dragons to have some more description; simply because I found it hard to visualize the scenes that were taking place throughout the novel.

Overall the character development was nothing too impressive. I think the characters kept the same morals and values as they had at the beginning of the book, after all the traumatic experiences the platoon goes through I find that they remain the same people; in a way I think the mild character development suited the story.

I really liked the relationships the characters had with each other in this book. I found the true friendship between Lynch and Jacobs to be heart-warming. I also found all the gossiping quite entertaining, everybody has different views of each other whether they are negative views or positive; relationships are a big part of the story as they have an effect on everybody’s outcome.

This book deals with different themes such as violence, torture and gore; therefore I would not recommend it to the light-hearted. If you are a lover of mythology and action I would recommend this book to you. I liked There be Dragons because it was an out-of-the-ordinary read and it was great to read something so different yet entertaining.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Buy "There Be Dragons" on Amazon
peter_hallett
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by peter_hallett »

Thank you for your honest review. I'm glad you enjoyed the book.

Is it possible to post the review on amazon or goodreads? No worries if it's not allowed.

Peter
Saoirse200

Post by Saoirse200 »

Unfortunately I think that would be against this sites policy, however I have submitted a small review on goodreads. :)
peter_hallett
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by peter_hallett »

That's awesome :-) Thank you for taking the time to help out.

Peter
Saoirse200

Post by Saoirse200 »

No problem Peter :)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”