Kindle Fire HD

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
ahurley
Bookshelf Size: 0

Kindle Fire HD

Post by ahurley »

I was thinking of getting the Kindle Fire HD, any pros or cons anyone can tell me about it?? I have read reviews about it, but I would like some input from some people directly, who have used it personally.
RaRa
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rara.html

Post by RaRa »

Got one for Christmas and I love it. I'm not a techy type, just a bookworm so I can't offer much details on the tech side. The nearest bookstore is 1 hour from my house, so this was the perfect gift for me. The internet is fast, download of books are quick and easy. I especially love all the free books i've been able to download :)
LMichinski

Post by LMichinski »

I bought a Kindle Fire in November, and I have had a Kindle keyboard for a number of years, so was excited about the Fire. I have to say the battery life compared to the old Kindle is pretty bad, 8 hours as compared to about 6 weeks before needing a recharge. However my purpose in buying the Fire was not just to read, but to watch video's, use the internet, listen to music and various apps that you can install. So if you truly plan on using all the Fire's features, to me its been worth it and I expected the battery life to be comparable to another type of pad, versus just an e-reader.

Plus I find reading on the Fire is easier as its backlit unlike my old Kindle keyboard. However, I must admit to sometimes using my old Kindle for reading purposes. I keep it in my purse and I can read and not worry about having to recharge for about 6 weeks (if I keep the wifi turned off). This is helpful when traveling especially. I can share my books between both my Kindles, so if my Fire is recharging I can get out my old Kindle and continue where I left off.

The Fire only comes with a USB charger, which can take FOREVER to charge up. I found that my old USB to power adapter on my old Kindle also charges the fire, so I didn't have to pay the extra $20 for Amazon's adapter. If you get a Fire, I'd highly suggest investing in a power adapter, the USB recharge time is painful.

So I like the Fire, but its only worth it if it suits your purposes....so good luck with your decision.
bookcrazymommy

Post by bookcrazymommy »

I have the kindle fire. I was considering purchasing the fire hd. What are the differences on the hd from just the fire? thanks
Mazza WA

Post by Mazza WA »

LMichinski wrote:I have to say the battery life compared to the old Kindle is pretty bad, 8 hours as compared to about 6 weeks before needing a recharge. .

This is amazing to me - no way can my Kindle last six weeks without a recharge!! More like three or four days. I'm off now to check on the Kindle "help" page on Amazon to see what I am doing wrong.

PS - if I ever did get a Kindle Fire, it would only be to see book pictures in colour. Not to watch movies or anything like that.
fedorasandpianos

Post by fedorasandpianos »

Very reliable device. It can do a lot of things like an iPad, but it is still mainly focused on the eReader aspect of it. If that's what you want it for, it's amazing. It's very fast, beautiful, and can hold thousands of books. The Amazon Book Shop App is easy to use and is great at making suggestions and for just simple browsing.

However, I also use my Kindle Fire HD for a lot more things, like using Netflix (it has a beautiful screen), using it for email (the email app is much more adequate than any other Android, Windows, or Apple device could offer - in my opinion), and for music. The Amazon Music and Pandora App make a great combo!

Hope that helped!
jlynn810
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlynn810.html

Post by jlynn810 »

I have the Kindle Fore HD and I bought one for my son for Christmas, he loves the Children books he can get on it as well as how fast it is for games and such however the main reason we got it was so that he could connect to his school reading program and take his AR test on which he LOVES to be able to do. Also with the front facing camera and when school is not in and he is at camp he can Skype me during the day and I get to see and talk to him about all he is doing that day. It always puts a smile on my face when I can see him in the middle of the day.
Kryshonda

Post by Kryshonda »

This was a Christmas present and I fought my husband about buying one with the ole mindset. You know. I like hardcopy books. I like to highlight in my books. I like to earmark the pages and I can't do that with a Kindle Fire HD. Boy Let me tell you. I freaking love this Kindle Fire HD. It's less than the cost of an I pad, but has all the features a beginner like me needs to feel comfortable entering into the tablet world.

I liked it sooooo much, I bought my sister, my mother and my oldest son one for Christmas also.

I highly recommend that if you don't already have one, you run, do not walk to the nearest Best Buy etc and get your hands on one and now that they have the bigger version (8 inch) OMG!!!!!!
nseiters
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Daughter of the Blood
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by nseiters »

I have the Kindle Fire HD 8.9" and I love it to pieces! Literally, unfortunately. My cat decided to knock it off the table and it hit the hardwood floor and the screen shattered. My fault for not getting a screen protector, it was in a case, but the case was open.

Other than that, when I bought a second one (I kept the first one to repair) I found myself using it daily. I still do. Other than reading books there're various apps that you can download for free, such as a calendar and skydrive storage that allows the user to look at different types of documents, including Microsoft! I even use it to play videos when I'm not at home and when I am at home I can rent movies and hook the Kindle up to my TV so that it plays in full HD.

For the second Kindle I bought a protection plan, a screen protector, and a heavily padded case. It's been three months and nothing has happened to it so far, I'm keeping my fingers crossed! If you decide to purchase the protection plan after having bought the Kindle, there is a protection plan that can be bought on Amazon thirty days after the purchase of the device.
Aj_Showtime

Post by Aj_Showtime »

I have one and absolutely love it! A must have for a reader
mystery4
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Hide Your Fear
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mystery4 »

Is the screen on HD actually non-glare?
Sam_Culmer

Post by Sam_Culmer »

I got a Kindle Fire HD for Christmas 2012, however its now August 2013 and I can't get it to turn on.... HELP!
tigger4244
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tigger4244.html

Post by tigger4244 »

I got my kindle fire for Christmas, my sister had bought me the regular kindle about a year and a half ago. I have a very bad neck and had to have it fused in 2009. I have always loved to read, but after getting my neck fused I was unable to read a book without getting a terrible headache. This was devastating to me as I am disabled and reading is what keeps me from going stir crazy! The kindle was the best present I have ever got. The kindle fire is amazing you can do everything a computer does and so much more! You can take it with you any where you go. The only problem I have with it is the battery is only good fir about eight hours,where my old kindle lasted weeks. I use my kindle fire everyday sometimes all day long. I would recommend the kindle fire to everyone it is so much fun and can do everything you need!!

-- 08 Aug 2013, 19:36 --

There is a glare with the HD nothing like a cell phone, so it is harder to read outside than the old kindle.
np531jaustenfan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-np531jaustenfan.html

Post by np531jaustenfan »

RaRa wrote:Got one for Christmas and I love it. I'm not a techy type, just a bookworm so I can't offer much details on the tech side. The nearest bookstore is 1 hour from my house, so this was the perfect gift for me. The internet is fast, download of books are quick and easy. I especially love all the free books i've been able to download :)
I completely agree. I'm not a computer wiz either, but as an avid reader, I can say that buying the Kindle Fire HD was one of the best decisions I ever made.
tigger4244
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tigger4244.html

Post by tigger4244 »

I have a kindle fire HD and was trying to set up my preference for books I wanted to review I checked all genres and it kept going back to "check genre. Also what format do I want to download the ebooks in? One last question, I am disabled and was not only excited to get book's for free, but also hoping to earn some extra money for bills how do I find book's that pay for reviews? I hope that everyone will help the newbe out :?:

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”