J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
slove93
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slove93.html

Re: J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit

Post by slove93 »

I had to read The Hobbit for class and had a little trouble getting into it. I'm a huge Harry Potter fan but I have never been able to get into LOTR. I was wondering if the 3 books in the series are easier to get into? It seems most of you enjoyed The Hobbit more, but maybe it will be the other way around for me. It's not that I disliked The Hobbit, I really did enjoy the lesson it was trying to teach.
carter1990
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carter1990.html

Post by carter1990 »

The Hobbit to me was a little easier to go through. I enjoyed the movie as well although its hard to condense everything into a motion picture.
booklvr62
Favorite Author: Richard Preston many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Dandelion Wine</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by booklvr62 »

I loved reading both 'The Hobbit' and the 'LOTR trilogy',and it's such fun reading the Gollum's parts,LOL! :lol:
char32

Post by char32 »

J.R.R Tolkein's Hobbit is a good book to read. Like Lord of the Rings, also adapted by BBC Radio. The story has such vivid details and rich imgination. It's interesting how many of these events would later shape events in Middle Earth with the Lord of the Rings trilogy. It all really comes to together. Bilbo Baggins does come off as an unlikely character who takes a trial by fire journey not knowing if he'll be alive or dead. From start to finish the character seen in the beginning and the character at the end are very much different people, similar to what happened later with Frodo after the end of that story. Each experience left Bilbo stronger than before to face later trials. It is one of the best books I have read.
read4fun

Post by read4fun »

Great story, and much easier to get through than the Lord of the Rings trilogy
rachel5
Favorite Author: C.S Lewis
Favorite Book: Narnia and Redwall
Currently Reading: Aesop

Post by rachel5 »

slove93 wrote:I had to read The Hobbit for class and had a little trouble getting into it. I'm a huge Harry Potter fan but I have never been able to get into LOTR. I was wondering if the 3 books in the series are easier to get into? It seems most of you enjoyed The Hobbit more, but maybe it will be the other way around for me. It's not that I disliked The Hobbit, I really did enjoy the lesson it was trying to teach.
Ha ha. I'm the opposite. I'm getting into Tolkien's books no problem, but Harry Potter didn't really hold my interest. I read the first book and that was it :P
A book is a movie that plays in your mind while you read the words in it
lapalmer71

Post by lapalmer71 »

Loved the book....hated the movie
lorenadc_06
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorenadc-06.html

Post by lorenadc_06 »

I read this book a couple of years ago, and I couldnt stop reading it. I was fascinated with everything. The way all the locations were described and how detailed they were.
I could imagine myself walking with them in their journey and living everything with them.
lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Post by lady_charlie »

I got these 4 books for a present in 1979. I never watched the movies because I thought they couldn't possibly be any good. How could you create this world that I had in my head on a screen? I finally got the movies a couple of years ago and now we have seen them several times. We have only seen The Hobbit three times so far!

I think I read that Tolkien actually knew C. S. Lewis.

I also thought there were a lot of similarities between LOTR and HP - Galadriel could see things, and the spider, etc.
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
Bananacat
Favorite Author: Too many to decide
Favorite Book: Any book on the market
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bananacat.html
Latest Review: "The Gift of Life" by Keily j. adey

Post by Bananacat »

I loved the Hobbit along with the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I had no difficultly getting in any of the books. I can understand why some people cannot get into the LoR thought but for me I enjoyed both and feel that Tolkien did a great job.

:)
Latest Review: "The Gift of Life" by Keily j. adey
Hannaa_Campbell
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: The Fault in Our Stars
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannaa-campbell.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by Hannaa_Campbell »

It was fab! Took me a while to read, but nonetheless, still great :)
"Pain demands to be felt" - John Green
sflaherty42
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sflaherty42.html
Latest Review: "Your Career in a Fish Bowl" by Michael L Wilson

Post by sflaherty42 »

This book was a great adventure! It was a little slow in parts but was easy to push through and I very much enjoyed it. The movie did it very much justice.
Latest Review: "Your Career in a Fish Bowl" by Michael L Wilson
emilykatherine
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilykatherine.html

Post by emilykatherine »

I am a Tolkien lover to the very core so, of course, I adore The Hobbit. It's such a well written book-- he certainly had a way with words. I read it for the first time when I was in 5th grade and I pick it up at least once every two years.
wanderingmuses
Favorite Author: Too many.
Favorite Book: Way too many.
Currently Reading: The Darkest Minds.
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanderingmuses.html

Post by wanderingmuses »

This book is a classic and like all of Tolkien's work, it's a great book and makes Middle Earth an amazing adventure for you. However, I had difficulty getting into it. It took me a month to finish reading it which surprised me because it's short and I expected to finish it easily but it was so slow in some parts. The movie did it great justice though; Peter Jackson was able to give me all the details that I would've liked to see in the book. I preferred the LOTR trilogy because it gave me much more detail than The Hobbit did.
Enijmas
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enijmas.html

Post by Enijmas »

An excellent, yet still easy read. I also love how the movie seems to be taking its time with plot development, having 3-parts for this much shorter book, as opposed to LOTR with its 3-parts rush. I actually read it after watching the first part of the movie, and now I'm looking forward to the rest of it. (:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”