Official Review: Two Weeks in Vieques

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HateToWin
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hatetowin.html
Latest Review: "DIGGING A HOLE IN THE GROUND and other design classics" by Niall Hedderman
fav_author_id: 2456

Official Review: Two Weeks in Vieques

Post by HateToWin »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Two Weeks in Vieques" by Marie Suzanne Dillon.]
Book Cover for 9781450244404
Share This Review

This book follows three sisters, Suzanne, Debay, and Linda. The three of them have been close since they were kids, and since they are looking for a get away they decide to go on vacation to the island of Vieques to celebrate Debay's birthday and to spend some quality time with each other. They are all there to have a good time and relax, and they won't let anything that happens ruin their vacation.

While they are on the island they decide to go to a different beach every day to relax as well as to take in all the sights the island has to offer. The story mostly follows them on the island as they are having fun and making friends with the natives, but it also recounts their childhood by way of stories they tell.

I enjoyed the way in which this story was told. It was told mostly from the point of view of Suzanne. While their experiences on the island were interesting I found myself liking the stories from their childhood more, they revealed more about the characters than the stories on the island did, and even though their parents only appear in their childhood stories I quickly found them being my favorite characters. The characters were all well developed and the story was interesting and fast paced.

Although I liked the overall story I often felt myself reading through the scenes on the island just waiting for it to go back to another story about their parents or their childhood. The island scenes weren't bad, I just felt they weren't as strong as the flashback scenes to their childhood.

Overall I give this book 3 out of 4 stars, the characters were interesting, but I felt the stories of their childhood were much more interesting then the story of their trip to Vieques, and I felt that at times the stories of them on the island were just a way for the author to get between different childhood stories.

Buy "Two Weeks in Vieques" on Amazon
Buy "Two Weeks in Vieques" on Barnes and Noble
Latest Review: "DIGGING A HOLE IN THE GROUND and other design classics" by Niall Hedderman

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”