The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lil20artist
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil20artist.html
Latest Review: "Thieves and Outcasts" by Dianna Moore

Re: The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins

Post by lil20artist »

I was pretty reluctant to read the first Hunger Games book since I had just recently seen the movie. I had learned that the movie is usually better than the book so I dont bother with them :? . After reading the book though, I seen that the movie didn't do it real justice. I mean the movie was great but I got myself totally lost in the book. It paints such a vivd pictures of the characters emotions and actions. Also knowing what Katniss was thinking during some of the things she did really help me understand alot. Before I knew it I had already download the other 2 ebooks and basically didn'r sleep for 2 days. I couldn't go to bed know that I stopped at a good plot twist or not knowing who katniss cared more about. Point is I loved the seiries which is now my new favorite and Suzanne Collins.....your a great author. Thank you for the Hunger Games. :mrgreen:
Latest Review: "Thieves and Outcasts" by Dianna Moore
Sandra825
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandra825.html
Latest Review: "Chronicles of the Kingdom" by DeJuan Davis

Post by Sandra825 »

RuqeeD wrote:I started reading the first book on a recommendation from a friend and tbh I wasn't keen on it after she briefly gave an outline of the plot but I knew she would bug me if I didn't read it. I actually quite enjoyed it, it's a good storyline even though I found some of the characters (like Peeta) a little weak - this is in the first one though, he improves as the story goes on).

But I'm afraid it went downhill from there for me. The second book seemed like a rehash of the first one, and the third just annoyed me with the ending. I won't elaborate at the moment why as I don't want to ruin it for you but would love to know what you think about how it ended when you've finished with it. :D
I can totally relate to this. The first book i thought was pretty good, but by the end of the second and all through the third book, i was like "seriously, again?" , it was at points hard to follow, and felt like it was dragging on at certain points.
Latest Review: "Chronicles of the Kingdom" by DeJuan Davis
jennifersmith326
Favorite Author: Nick Antinozzi
Favorite Book: Desperate Times Trilogy
Currently Reading: Wake by Amanda Hocking
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifersmith326.html
Latest Review: "The Journal" by Ryan Shamblee

Post by jennifersmith326 »

I really enjoyed reading this whole series of books. I finished the whole series in about a week.
Latest Review: "The Journal" by Ryan Shamblee
Bearsfan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bearsfan »

I found this series to be very a entertaining and fun read.

The plot did seem a lot like The Long Walk by King though.
michelet3005

Post by michelet3005 »

I really enjoyed it. I always enjoy reading a book with a strong female lead.
Book_ninja

Post by Book_ninja »

I absolutely loved the trilogy though I was a little, teeny- weeny bit disappointed with 'Mockingjay'. I thought that certain deaths could have been avoided and sometimes it was either a little of a drag or too rushed. Lack of much emotion too, perhaps? Especially when Finnick dies. But still, I got so involved with the characters and their world that I had dreams of Panem, the Capitol and the 73rd Hunger Games, straight for one whole week. One thing's for sure- I adore dystopian novels. x]
Athena

Post by Athena »

You kinda spoiled some things there for me..

I've read the first book but not the second and third. I liked the first book a lot, much more than I thought I would (it's not the type of book that normally appeals to me).
slove93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slove93.html

Post by slove93 »

I love this series. I have not yet finished the 3rd one. Even though I enjoy this series I find the concept very sickening. But then again, that is what makes it interesting.
Artistic

Post by Artistic »

There was talk that The Hunger Games was a rehash of a WWE movie starring former WWF wrestler Steve Austin but I doubt it. The books, in my opinion were good but the first was far much better than the second and third. The second book catching fire lacked the emotional intensity the first book had while the Mockingjay book went kind of overboard with the characters developing damn too fast. I particularly didn't like the part where after president's Snow's capture, he kind of talks to Katniss as some kind of equal. A beaten foe? It's wasn't credible.
jessnight

Post by jessnight »

I've read them and enjoyed them, not the kind of book I would normally go for, but these have introduced me to a new genre. My son is now reading them and it's great to be able to chat to him about them, but its frustrating as he keeps asking me whether "so and so" dies!!! Grrr, "you'll have to keep reading boy" is my reply!! :wink:

For those that liked these books check out Pure by Julianna Baggott (set to be a trilogy too). :wink:
mindgamesbook
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Anything by Lauren Willig
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindgamesbook.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by mindgamesbook »

I loved this series of books (read them all before I watched the movie - which didn't do it ANY justice) overall but I did feel the romance and emotional angles in the books felt a bit forced and difficult. Part of it is that I traditionally read romance novels meant for an adult audience, so the romance in all three books felt unfulfilled and awkward. Although I sympathized with Katniss' reluctance to get close to anyone and emotionally stunted personality towards male counterparts, her complete ability to be cold to even those closest to her (her mother & Gale) made the book versions a bit difficult. These were people that she spent either her whole life or most of her life around and she always ended up under estimating them or barely knowing them at all.

To the movie's credit, they managed to make Katniss a more emotionally whole character than the book version. However, the movie version also made the Katniss/Peta romance seem very believable, whereas in the book it was very obvious that it was primarily for show. The only emotional ties that felt less forced/strained in the book version were those between Katniss & Peta.

I would also add that in terms of continuity, the 3rd book felt a bit rushed/disjointed, especially towards the end. The death of President Snow vs the leader of District 13 and the attempt at a "tidy" ending didn't really play out well for me. It really felt more like Katniss married out of obligation to Peta rather than that she ever felt anything close to actual love/affection for him.
PhoenixOrders
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoenixorders.html

Post by PhoenixOrders »

The Hunger Games is an amazing series! It really makes you put yourself in the incredible characters' shoes and wonder what you would do. The characters are so complex and interesting, while the details are intimate and grabbing. Suzanne Collins made an amazing dystopian story that is well worth the read.
Natasha Gan

Post by Natasha Gan »

:? I liked the first and second book a lot but I don't think the third book is that good. I love the movie and I can't wait for the second to come out. The books are pretty amazing, I read them once I heard the movie was out to get a better understanding of the story. I continued with the second and it was just as amazing but the third turned out to be not as interesting. I stopped reading the third book halfway through because it was just boring.
rachel5
Favorite Author: C.S Lewis
Favorite Book: Narnia and Redwall
Currently Reading: Aesop

Post by rachel5 »

I've read all three books. My overall impression of the series is that it's well written and also sad at the same time. I like how Katniss is a strong and developed character. As for the teams, I didn't really choose one since I like both Peeta and Gale.
A book is a movie that plays in your mind while you read the words in it
Natasha Gan

Post by Natasha Gan »

I dont really pick teams either since I also think both Peeta and Gale are great! :p

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”