World of Myth Volume 1: Beyond the Plains by Travis Bughi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HateToWin
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hatetowin.html
Latest Review: "DIGGING A HOLE IN THE GROUND and other design classics" by Niall Hedderman
fav_author_id: 2456

World of Myth Volume 1: Beyond the Plains by Travis Bughi

Post by HateToWin »

[The following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "World of Myth Volume 1: Beyond the Plains" by Travis Bughi.]
Book Cover for 9781466442214
Share This Review

Beyond The Plains takes place in a world full of mythical creatures such as Vampires, Minotaurs, Behemoths, and Thunder Birds, and is the story of a young girl named Emily Stout and her family, who live on the Great Plains as farmers.They all work together to maintain a farm which provides them enough food to last the year, and if they are lucky, some extra to take to the city and sell.

Emily has dreams of going to the city of Lucifan to see the giant colossus, the angels, and the ogres, as well as the large stone buildings. But most of all she wants to see the ocean, for the city is a harbor where goods come in from all over, and is the only place where you can walk to the water.

The story is told from the point of view of Emily, who is a 16 year old girl that wants to see the world. There are many landscapes, as well as creatures throughout, with enough time and detail given to each to fully flesh them out. The action scenes are very vivid and read well, and there are plenty of them throughout.

Some of the descriptions feel a bit bland and seem more like something you would find in a dictionary. I also feel it ended before it got much done, I understood going in that there would be a sequel, but it seems to stop too abruptly, I would have liked to see at least a few more chapter before it ended so at least a couple of the issues could have been resolved.

This was an overall good book, with good character development, immersive descriptions of the landscape as well as the creatures, and good story telling. The main downside is that it ended too soon, without having the feeling of accomplishing much. Overall I give Beyond The Plains 3 stars out of 4, it was an enjoyable read and I am awaiting the sequel.

View "World of Myth Volume 1" on Amazon

You can use this topic to discuss "World of Myth Volume 1" by Travis Bughi and to comment on the above review by HateToWin.
Latest Review: "DIGGING A HOLE IN THE GROUND and other design classics" by Niall Hedderman
tbughi1
Favorite Author: Bernard Cornwell
Favorite Book: Dune by Frank Herbert
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 3083

Post by tbughi1 »

The amazon link for this book has changed. It can now be found here -World of Myth: Beyond the Plains by Travis Bughi

-- 13 Feb 2013, 19:14 --

Darn it! I fail at internet...

World of Myth I: Beyond the Plains

Yes, finally - Alright, THIS ^ is the correct link.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”