The House of the Dead ~ Entire Book

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

The House of the Dead ~ Entire Book

Post by Scott »

This is the final discussion thread for The House of the Dead. Feel free to discuss the whole book here. If you have not read the whole book yet, do not read this thread until you do because this thread will contain spoilers.

What do you think of the book? What part did you find most interesting?

I have not finished the book, so I will wait to join the discussion here until I have. (I'll be done tonight or some time tomorrow.)

Thanks,
Scott
Last edited by Scott on 13 Jan 2008, 18:07, edited 1 time in total.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
mwo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mwo »

It took me about 10 days to finish this book, much longer than I'd anticipated. That's mainly due to its narrative structure, which reads like a collection short essays on different aspects of prison life. Various characters are introduced, though rarely expanded upon, which made it difficult to keep track of them, let alone feel any emotional attachment toward them. But that is also what makes this a sincere account of life in prison, free of the melodrama and forced plot devices that mar similar stories. The main character never attempts to solicit guilt from the reader, nor does he dramatize what he depicts. Life in prison is seen for what it is: A dull, tedious, painful existence wherein each day blends into the next. It is a difficult book to read, but I appreciate Dostoyevsky's terrific writing style as well as the philosophical anecdotes he conveys on life both in and out of prison.
Last edited by mwo on 11 Jan 2008, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I found it surprising unemotional overall. Most prison books attempt to make prison seem so horrible. He talked about it very dryly. It is definitely a unique, and I am glad I read it.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
mwo

Post by mwo »

I like how the main character mentions that the outsiders' views on life in prison are exaggerated, as well as how apprehensive they become when they encounter prisoners. I'll admit that I'm completely ignorant on what prison life is like, but this book's account seems more believable than the ones that feature routine stabbings and escape attempts.
siva22

Post by siva22 »

I have taken 15 days to complete this book.I like the content of the book.Well this book is all about prison life.Thanks to author.
----------------
siva
siva22

Post by siva22 »

I have taken 15 days to complete this book.I like the content of the book.Well this book is all about prison life.Thanks to author.
----------
siva
siva22

Post by siva22 »

--------
siva
siva22

Post by siva22 »

------------
Siva

http://www.sreevyshcorp.in
Himanshu

Post by Himanshu »

Alexander Petrovitch Goriantchikoff is a mid-19th century nobleman who was convicted of killing his wife through jealousy. He was sentenced to 10 years in jail in Siberia. This novel is his observations of life in that prison.

The Siberian prison is the "House of the Dead." This first person narrative novel dicusses the conditions in the prison, the personalities of the different prisoners, how class distinction exists even in confinement, and how he adjusts to his new lifestyle. This book is an observation of life.
eva6206213

Post by eva6206213 »

Thank you for your info~

http://www.usfine.com
Hunt

Post by Hunt »

I loved it! It talked about prison and things like that - which the author did justice :)

I read it a while a go though...should dust it up and read it again.
jose43

Post by jose43 »

New Year GIFT, a Free Book Reading Portal is being launched! I am talking about Great Rare Books available for free reading at http://www.GreatRareBooks.com and they claim to have over 100,000 Rare Books ready to post! They are uploading books on priority you demand them to load first!

Guys, I think we should encourage them…Lets have a look at it

Chris
haiwasnm

Post by haiwasnm »

hope to you finished the book As soon as, i like this
naruponk

Post by naruponk »

I just read a half of this book, will take more time to finish :o
FloorStore

Post by FloorStore »

I love reading this book. very interesting.

Return to “Book of the month”