4 Great Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DivineIntervention
Favorite Book: The tenth circle
Currently Reading: Fifty shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: 4 Great Classic Books

Post by DivineIntervention »

The Great Gatsby for definite, such a fun and moving read! Wuthering Heights, Atonement, and Pride and Prejudice!
theniceiceman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theniceiceman.html

Post by theniceiceman »

I started reading 1984, but didn't get very far into it before I had to return it...I've never rented it again, unfortunately. Kind of forgot about it, to be honest. However, I read Animal Farm by George Orwell and LOVED it. I read it when I was younger (around 8th grade) and thought that it was about the American Revolution. It wasn't until my later years of high school that I learned it was actually about the Russian Revolution. This is a great list! I need to read Of Mice and Men and finish 1984, but I've got the other two down :)
ewassall
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ewassall.html
Latest Review: "The Hidden Ones" by Nancy Madore

Post by ewassall »

I've never read of Mice and Men. I'll definitely put that on my, read-soon list.

Catcher in the rye is a long-time favorite.

Fahrenheit 451 is definitely amazing.

1984 I read in high school. Hated it. But I've had many people tell me they think I'd love it. I think I probably read it too early. Maybe I'll give that a try.

To Kill a Mockingbird goes on my top list. And although it may depend on your definition of "classics" I'd have to add Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut.
Latest Review: "The Hidden Ones" by Nancy Madore
lawz_1

Post by lawz_1 »

Pride and Prejudice would have to be on all my lists of great books - old and new. It always amazes me that Jane Austen wrote this so long ago - it feels so current in many ways, and I just think the social commentary is hilarious.
MelMariah
Currently Reading: A Head Full of Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by MelMariah »

An interesting question:
What will be the new 'generation' of classic books?
Jesleigh
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesleigh.html
Latest Review: "Christmas in Wine Country" by Addison Westlake

Post by Jesleigh »

I loved Farenheit 451. Even though it was written so long ago, it still paints a picture that so accurately depicts the path that society is headed down, it's almost scary. It was without a doubt, one of the best books I've ever read.
Latest Review: "Christmas in Wine Country" by Addison Westlake
AlectMaster

Post by AlectMaster »

I've read "Nineteen Eighty-Four" by George Orwell. Going to look at other 3 books you shared. Thank you.
carter1990
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carter1990.html

Post by carter1990 »

I recently read 1984 by George Orwell and can attest that is a really great read. :)
jennytheshopaholic

Post by jennytheshopaholic »

These are all great books. I've been lucky enough to teach Fahrenheit, Catcher, and Of Mice and Men, and I have to say they each get better every time. I appreciate Steinbeck more each year.

The best for me, hands down, is To Kill a Mockingbird. It's just such a beautiful story but with so many layers.
vera

Post by vera »

I have never read "Catcher in the Rye" but have the other books mentioned...all great reads. Another dystopia book I loved was "Children of Men" by P.D. James. Good read.
casper
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casper.html
Latest Review: "The Sanctuary" by Cassandra R. Siddons

Post by casper »

I haven't read Farenheit 451 and will definitely give that a go. I haven't read the other three for a few years, so will look out for them as they really deserve rereading. And talking of Steinbeck, what about East of Eden for a classic book? It's my partner's all-time favourite.
Thanks for reminding me about these great reads.
Latest Review: "The Sanctuary" by Cassandra R. Siddons
socks

Post by socks »

:D I'd like to add all Sherlock Holmes stories to my personal all time favorites as well
yvetteyoungkim
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvetteyoungkim.html

Post by yvetteyoungkim »

Great selection!
shellyb
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Currently Reading: The Midwife - Jennifer Worth
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by shellyb »

I have only just read Catcher In the Rye in my bid to catch up on classics I've missed along the way. I think I was expecting something like Huckleberry Finn or Tom Sawyer, so a teenage angst novel took me by surprise. When I got to the end i thought "was that it then ...?" but over the next couple of days it kept coming into my mind with flashes of inspiration and deeper understanding. I realized that it had affected me more than i knew.
“Books are a uniquely portable magic.”
― Stephen King, On Writing
martaacosa

Post by martaacosa »

Finding good books to read for Halloween does not need to be difficult. To help you out, we have a list of some great classics for all ages.

------------

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”