Why is Reading so important?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
changoora
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by changoora »

Everyone knows reading is important, but have you ever asked yourself why is it so important? Here I list out 8 reasons why reading is important. Hope you can really find out the reason why reading is so important for you, so you got a brand new will to explore the world of reading.

1. Explore Yourself to New Thing

Through reading, you explore yourself to new thing, to new information, new ways to solve a problem, new way to achieve one thing. Who knows you might find your new hobbies within it? Who knows you might actually explore to one thing you really like and thus it become your career and success in the future? Exploration starts from reading and understanding.

2. Self Improvement

Reading does help you form a better you, isn't it? Through reading, you understand the world more; through reading you get to understand more on a topic that interest you, for example: How to build self confidence, how to make a better planning before action; how to memorize things better and more. All these self development start from the reading; through reading, you structure the path towards a better understanding and better actions to take in the future.

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers. -Charles W. Elio-

3. Improve Understanding

The more you read, the more you understand one thing, the A to Z of a thing. Let me give an example here: reading allows you understand about crocodiles and its habits that you need to beware of places it usually appear, in the purpose of stay away from being harmed or bitten by it. Or perhaps you can try by real life experience, in approaching the crocodile, to see what happen. It does help you find out the truth of something right? Reading also increases the understanding of the rules of life, in order for you to adapt, adopt and accommodate into the society better. To play well in a game, you first need to understand the rules well enough.

4. Preparation to Action

Before you take action on anything, where do you seek for help and guidance? Reading is essential way which can help you out. In today's world, getting reviews and feedback from other people is a big impact on what your next decision, the pros and cons of one thing. Read about how to cook a meal; how to play chess; which place is nice for the holiday family trip; read the menu before ordering food, read the manual before using a new gadget. These all can help you become more prepared before really get into it.

Read > Learn > Do > Achieve

Reading is a starting step of many things, which build a more solid stairs for you to climb up achieving something big out there.

5. Gain Experience from Other People

When you are reading, you are actually gaining the knowledge and experience of someone. It can faster up your success towards one thing, as you don't need to repeat the same mistake while focus on the right path in achieving one thing. It's like a mountain of gems for you to discover in books, of people's success, failures and advices. Life is too short for you to keep repeating the mistakes that had been done by other people in the past, in order for you to reach the results that someone might already reached. There are four thousand plus billionaire and 12 million millionaires today. To become one of them, the first thing is to learn and get to know their past, what they did in the past that makes them where they are today. Reading is a great path to get to know them, and learn from these great people.

The art of reading is in great part that of acquiring a better understanding of life from one's encounter with it in a book. | André Maurois

6. Tools of Communicating

It is the most important tool of communicating, through reading, you communicate, through reading, you understand more, and thus you can communicate better with people. As if a person that know nothing, he hasn't had anything to share, and he probably don't even understand what people are sharing. Through reading, you build a more solid bridge of communication. It is one of the most important tools we use every day to connect with each other. Whereas if you don't read, you can't even connect with the world and what people are talking about out there, including understanding what this article is all about. Reading connects you with the world.

7.Connecting Your Brain

When reading, you're in full silence, where reading connects directly to your brain. In silence, you seek for more; in silence, your brain is clear and focuses, thus you learn and grow, and therefore you feel and see from the point of view of the author, about everything in life. Hence you shape a better self.

Because silence exists with total abandon, it is fearless. Because silence is fearless, it holds the power that can break through any barrier. | On Silence

8. Boost Imagination and Creativity

Reading exposes you to a world of imagination, showing you nothing is impossible in this world. By reading, you are exploring a different angle to see a thing you've known, on how different action leads to different results. Books are beyond imagination, it's like a huge spider web, where you keep linking to more and more, to things you knew, and things you just learn, structuring a new solution and answers.

So in your opinion, why is reading so important to you? Find here the best space for free reading
ralfy

Post by ralfy »

Ultimately, it is the only way to learn as much as possible about the world and about humanity.
NovelIdea
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novelidea.html

Post by NovelIdea »

I agree with everything you posted. Reading books is what has helped me to be so creative in life, I believe. It`s helped me find ways to entertain myself without a television or video games, and come up with interesting stories myself. It made me good at improvisation, as I always had hundreds of ideas and stories of which to work off, and has helped me improve my vocabulary and grammar over the years.

Reading makes you a more interesting person overall.
annaonweb

Post by annaonweb »

Reading is a part of human life and is so important for us . It give us change .
BooksNJoy
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Favorite Book: The Picture of Dorian Gray
Currently Reading: The music of the spheres
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by BooksNJoy »

I agree with the 8 reasons.
And I would add that for me reading is a need. If I had the choice between watching TV, playing video games or reading I would read. You may think I'm a fool but when I enter a library it's almost like a shrine (I don't trust in any Gods) because it carries the knowledge from generations to generations.
When I was in University I was always at the library since I could find many things I couldn't find on the internet. One day I taught myself it would be very interresting to read the whole library, of course I failed.
saturday+deviant
Favorite Author: Riley Hart
Favorite Book: The Virgin Suicides
Currently Reading: Entice
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saturday-deviant.html
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Reading Device: B00OTWQXSI
fav_author_id: 30187

Post by saturday+deviant »

As an undergrad studying to be an English teacher for middle schoolers I think these points are valid ones that could be pointed out to a student body who, at the age of 12 and 13, really don't think that reading matters at all.
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
superb8effect

Post by superb8effect »

I agree. But importantly, after you read something, always think about HOW TO APPLY it. Otherwise, it is just simply adding you knowledge only. Knowledge without application is useless..........
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

superb8effect wrote:I agree. But importantly, after you read something, always think about HOW TO APPLY it. Otherwise, it is just simply adding you knowledge only. Knowledge without application is useless..........
Well unless you happen to be reading about a serial killer or how to make a nuclear bomb :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
BooksNJoy
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Favorite Book: The Picture of Dorian Gray
Currently Reading: The music of the spheres
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by BooksNJoy »

Well, many terrorists are / were very well educated. Knowledge is important but being rational is better.
"And, after all, what is a lie? 'Tis but
The truth in masquerade."

Lord Byron, Don Juan
asmaahsan
Favorite Book: A Flicker in the Dark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asmaahsan.html
Latest Review: "Bodies and Beaches" by Don Yarber

Post by asmaahsan »

Fran wrote:
superb8effect wrote:I agree. But importantly, after you read something, always think about HOW TO APPLY it. Otherwise, it is just simply adding you knowledge only. Knowledge without application is useless..........
Well unless you happen to be reading about a serial killer or how to make a nuclear bomb :lol:
Agreed! :)
:techie-reference: I am not a life coach; life coaches me ~ Asma Fikri.
Latest Review: "Bodies and Beaches" by Don Yarber
facebook fans

Post by facebook fans »

Explore Yourself to New Thing,Self Improvement,Gain Experience from Other People, Boost Imagination and Creativity
skotz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skotz.html

Post by skotz »

Reading is important to me for many reasons. I can learn about different cultures and customs. Reading is important to me because it is my way to relax and get away without leaving home!
ShoppingMonk

Post by ShoppingMonk »

Reading makes you Understanding,Exploring,Knowledge gaining,Memory...
kasiviswanath

Post by kasiviswanath »

:lol: reading books makes me good at english gives knowledge over new words so reading is important
jhardy0229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhardy0229.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited

Post by jhardy0229 »

Reading teaches so many things with out feeling like you are having information forced upon you (often the feeling in school). It makes things interesting and different. Many people learn the meanings of words not by looking them up in the dictionary but by being avid readers and learning to understand by context clues. It can also be a very expensive vacation. Go into your room alone, shut the door and power up your ipad (or open your book) and once you're into a book, often, everything around you disappears and you become a character in the book.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”