Da Vinci Code

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mr- Bishop
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Da Vinci Code

Post by Mr- Bishop »

MysFan wrote:
When you do publish be interested to read your material.
That particular book was published last year. I have not listed any of my books here because I didn't read all the rules. Usually you have to participate on a forum for a while before doing so.
JaCo

Post by JaCo »

Most of the best seller books are on the banned list. Something about being banned make the book a good reader!
Cerxi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cerxi.html

Post by Cerxi »

JaCo wrote:Most of the best seller books are on the banned list. Something about being banned make the book a good reader!
Haha, definitely. I myself like to trawl banned lists to find books to read sometimes.
On the topic though; I didn't find Da Vinci code to be a very, I don't really know what word to use so let's go with, convincing story. A lot of the logic jumps that solved the "ancient riddles" were either absurdly simple or just nonsensical, and a lot of the information is patently false, so that grated on me the whole book!
MysFan

Post by MysFan »

Cerxi wrote:
JaCo wrote:Most of the best seller books are on the banned list. Something about being banned make the book a good reader!
Haha, definitely. I myself like to trawl banned lists to find books to read sometimes.
On the topic though; I didn't find Da Vinci code to be a very, I don't really know what word to use so let's go with, convincing story. A lot of the logic jumps that solved the "ancient riddles" were either absurdly simple or just nonsensical, and a lot of the information is patently false, so that grated on me the whole book!
This patently false information is what has so inflamed many. I think it has also helped the book sell millions more than it would normally have done. Frankly I can't tolerate the story that only men were involved in these times of historical significance. I am not saying that Mary was more, or that it is Mary in The Last Supper simply because the cleaning has revealed someone who looks very female. The dress back then was so unisex that it is hard to tell.

It was a good story, but I did not like the sequel at all. And I think my viewpoint is somewhat tainted by the choice of actors to play the part. Really, Tom Hanks?!!!

There have been many, many stories about various reads on these times and what "really" happened. I love history so much that I majored in it at college, and have read so many wonderful books portraying various versions of what really happened. But something I know about what is deemed real history is that it is based on someone else's viewpoint, even backed up by physical findings. That can be very biased.

And fiction, well that is just made up and loosely based on stories or fantasies of the author. Although someday, when we are either alive or long after, they may find some fo these fantasies to be true. Look at Troy?
JSchenk26

Post by JSchenk26 »

volcno-grl wrote:I totally agree. Its amazing how many great authors there are and nobody knows about them...then theres Dan Brown and just because his subject is controversial he is on the best seller list. he is ok don't get me wrong its just the more i read the more i realize that he really isn't as great as some people say

I love all of Dan Browns books. Da Vincible Code was the first I read and I thought they got better with each one that I read. His books that didn't get the hyper this one did were better.
blewis15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blewis15.html

Post by blewis15 »

I really liked this book. I did like the book much better than the movie, but that is always the case when they turn books into movies. I read this book in no time at all. I just enjoyed the historical aspects and the mystery of it. I enjoyed it.
Megan Jevons

Post by Megan Jevons »

I did enjoy this book, but it's largely overrated. I've also read Angels and Demons, and The Lost Symbol. They were pretty interesting too.
Skydrake
Favorite Book: Emma
Currently Reading: The Accidental Anarchist
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skydrake.html

Post by Skydrake »

I read the book a few years ago when there was so much hype surrounding it. As a fictional book, I thought it was okay. Not great. Just okay. At the time I was surprised at the number of people that were viewing it as historical fact or feeling that Dan Brown was offering it as historical fact. It was even discussed in my Pastor's message at the church I was attending at the time. I wanted to shout "Doesn't anyone know what fiction means?" They weren't looking at it as fiction, so others wouldn't be able to. Maybe that inability, in itself, is why so many found it controversial and rocketed it to a bestseller list.
booklvr62
Favorite Author: Richard Preston many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Dandelion Wine</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by booklvr62 »

I totally loved both the book and the film,and didn't feel it was 'hyped' at all,it was just all the ridiculous controversy because of the religious right wing having a fit over the story,despite Dan Brown saying repeatedly that it was FICTION and he did not intend anyone to take it as historical fact! I was even in the church at the time,but was not about to ignore that I had seen the author on TV and heard him say that it was a FICTION story. The same with the Harry Potter books,though I have only read the first one. But I thought The Da Vinci Code was very well written and a very exciting read.Didn't read Angel & Demons but loved that film as well.
fay444

Post by fay444 »

Skydrake wrote:I read the book a few years ago when there was so much hype surrounding it. As a fictional book, I thought it was okay. Not great. Just okay. At the time I was surprised at the number of people that were viewing it as historical fact or feeling that Dan Brown was offering it as historical fact. It was even discussed in my Pastor's message at the church I was attending at the time. I wanted to shout "Doesn't anyone know what fiction means?" They weren't looking at it as fiction, so others wouldn't be able to. Maybe that inability, in itself, is why so many found it controversial and rocketed it to a bestseller list.
:roll: I have to admit when I first read it I believed everything Dan Brown had written- secret societies, Mary Magdalene, symbolism in Da Vinci's paintings...the whole lot of it and actually it quite scared me. I started thinking that everything that we've ever been taught has some dark hidden meaning behind it. Then I remembered that it was just a book. A book offering to reveal the truth about some hidden secret. Everyone loves to be in on a secret- we all want to know the truth. Dan Brown used this to get readers and he damn well succeeded because there has been a big hype about it ever since.
BizAcquire

Post by BizAcquire »

I not like this Da Vinci Code,
although I'm agree this ebook written very well.
Brown take opportunity from grey area and get profit from soft controversial.
heryhmk
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heryhmk.html

Post by heryhmk »

I actually enjoyed this book a lot! I read it in high school and was excited when they made the movie. I couldn't get myself to read Angels and Demons, though...
ouzal
Favorite Author: Dan Brown
Favorite Book: Around the world in 80 days
fav_author_id: 2452

Post by ouzal »

May be this book is not as thrilling as many of Dan Brown's other books, but I don't think it should be considered as an overrated book at least for one reason : the amazing mind blowing facts he exposes about Christianity and the way this religion was set up to fit with the pagan beliefs at the era of the emperor Constantine.
booklvr62
Favorite Author: Richard Preston many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Dandelion Wine</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by booklvr62 »

ouzal wrote:May be this book is not as thrilling as many of Dan Brown's other books, but I don't think it should be considered as an overrated book at least for one reason : the amazing mind blowing facts he exposes about Christianity and the way this religion was set up to fit with the pagan beliefs at the era of the emperor Constantine.
I am one who did find the DaVinci Code the most thrilling/exciting read that I had experienced in quite awhile,when I read it maybe a year after it came out... so around 2010,but as I was reading it with it being totally fiction in my mind,I missed the points you say it makes about religion and Christianity. Since recently becoming an ex-Christian,you have now made me want to read the DaVinci Code again,to see if I also catch that bit of history,which I would totally agree with,BTW, but probably ignored that info when I read it as a Christian,LOL!
Thank you for pointing this out,as I am now quite excited about having another good time with this very good book.Believe I will now also read Angels & Demons, as it was an excellent film.
ouzal
Favorite Author: Dan Brown
Favorite Book: Around the world in 80 days
fav_author_id: 2452

Post by ouzal »

booklvr62 wrote: Since recently becoming an ex-Christian,you have now made me want to read the DaVinci Code again,to see if I also catch that bit of history,which I would totally agree with,BTW, but probably ignored that info when I read it as a Christian
this is definitely a paradigm shifting book, I'm glad my review of it was this useful to you, :wink:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”