The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ambvoz1920
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

Post by ambvoz1920 »

Wonderful, heartrending book. I got it after a recommendation from my grandmother (who's literary opinion I highly value), and incredibly moved by the prose and character relationships. The premise, the narrator as death, was such an attention grabber, especially given the subject matter. I've been fascinated and haunted by Holocaust and WW2 stories, fiction and historical, since I was young, and this one I couldn't put down. I'm going to email my Mimi and ask her to mail it to me so I can read it again : )
MelMariah
Currently Reading: A Head Full of Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by MelMariah »

Are there any other book recommendations for the reader who enjoyed this one?
I love stories of WW2, for no particular reason. It'd be great if someone could recommend other WW2 stories, not including the Boy in Striped Pajamas :)
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

MelMariah wrote:Are there any other book recommendations for the reader who enjoyed this one?
I love stories of WW2, for no particular reason. It'd be great if someone could recommend other WW2 stories, not including the Boy in Striped Pajamas :)
@Mel
If you haven't read Alone in Berlin by Hans Fallada I highly recommend it.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
MelMariah
Currently Reading: A Head Full of Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by MelMariah »

Thanks, I'll look it up :D
jester184

Post by jester184 »

This book is one that stayed with me for a long time after I finished it! I really liked the approach of having Death as narrator. I found him to be an extremely well-balanced character, not merely a non-feeling grim reaper, but a character possessing internal debates. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a thought-provoking, unique read.
lawz_1

Post by lawz_1 »

MelMariah wrote:Are there any other book recommendations for the reader who enjoyed this one?
I think All That I Am by Anna Funder is an excellent book with WWII as the background. Not set right in the action, but a beautiful story about people working against the Nazis.
blewis15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blewis15.html

Post by blewis15 »

I had to put this book down several times and come back to it. It was just too depressing for me to read at once. The lines I remember most from this book are, “Five hundred souls. I carried them in my fingers, like suitcases. Or I'd throw them over my shoulder. It was only the the children I carried in my arms.” I teared up quite a few times during this book.
Ellie Woods

Post by Ellie Woods »

When I finished this book a few days ago I sort of just sat there with it clutched to my chest. I found it very hard to part with (it was a friend's copy). I had become so enamored with the characters, and even the narrator! Imagine that, feeling compassion for Death! I truly did feel the loss after the bombing on Himmel St....This author made that time in that town come alive for me. It was written with beautiful descriptive prose and witty humor. I really enjoyed imagining how the light looked in each of the scenes where Death described it. This is definately a book I will revisit again.
primrose777
Favorite Author: Chaim Potok
Favorite Book: The Chosen
Currently Reading: The Light Between Oceans
fav_author_id: 4227

Post by primrose777 »

Try Sarahs Key by Tatiana de Rosnay. I have just finished it and thought it wonderful .... though the subject matter is very sad, the story is beautifully told.
There are years that ask questions and years that answer. Zora Neale Hurston.
bethany_vanwaes
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bethany-vanwaes.html

Post by bethany_vanwaes »

When I started reading this, carrying it around everywhere, people kept saying how great of a book this was. I wasn't sure how it would be, but this novel is fantastic. I really identify with Liesel, in terms of her dedication and love of books. That may be a common thing on this site, but I don't remember the last time I identified with a character so much. This novel is also one of the few that made me cry... I highly recommend this novel, if you get the chance. It has sad parts, but it is an incredibly interesting read.
WendyM
Favorite Author: Neil Gaiman
Favorite Book: Mythago Wood
fav_author_id: 3586

Post by WendyM »

I finished this book yesterday, in tears, which is unusual for me. It's been a long time since I read a book that evoked such an emotional response, and I don't think I've ever read a story about everyday Germans during the war.
mishmish
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mishmish.html

Post by mishmish »

This one has been on my reading list for some time. I may have to move it to the top of the stack.
Treeeeeesha
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-treeeeeesha.html

Post by Treeeeeesha »

The movie is coming out soon and I can't wait... :D :D :D :D
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Treeeeeesha wrote:The movie is coming out soon and I can't wait... :D :D :D :D
The trailer looks like they did a good job adapting it to film. I'm looking forward to it too
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
professors_wife
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-professors-wife.html

Post by professors_wife »

I stumbled upon this book last year and am so thankful that I did. I love that it made me laugh out loud over and over again and then brought me to tears. I think the fact that it was made into a movie just shows how good of a story it is. It isn't a high action, high drama plot that is sure to have the most attractive young people in Hollywood starring in it (which, don't get me wrong, I love those movies too) but its just an awesome story.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”