Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2774

otleylovebug
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by otleylovebug »

Had to think about this - I cried at lots of films - but a book that did make me cry was Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. So sad at the end and dramatic as he is going tothe guillotine. :(
writerworld

Post by writerworld »

:cry: The one book that has me cry really hard is THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE, man wow. I could not stop crying especially with that one part when she is getting pregnant, I know I could never do that. But when you do read it, have some tissue next to you. :mrgreen:
sexdoll

Post by sexdoll »

the book that really got me crying is "the life before her eyes" by Laura Kasischke .. LoL and i'm not that sensitive so I was shocked but it was heart touching
camilegordon

Post by camilegordon »

by quite some distance the best for this was Ben elton's "balst from the past" ! dont know why because looking back now its now that great. . .but at the time was seriously good at jerking the tears. any one agree?? . . its not loved on amazon reviews for some reason
Critter

Post by Critter »

Hello!

I'm a newbie and have just dropped a quick introduction into the newbies thread.

I find I'm much more likely to cry at a book than a movie- it's a much more personal experience and given the time usually involved I'm much more invested in the characters by the end of a book compared to the end of the movie.

So, off the top of my head...

* The Amber Spyglass- I think I wept through the last fifty pages. I also remember reading them ever more slowly as I desperately didn't want it to end.
* Flowers for Algernon- what a wonderful, thoughtful book about how society ostracizes both ends of the bell curve.
* The Old Man and the Sea
* Goodbye, Best Friend by Cherie Bennett- has anyone else ever heard of this?! It's a cheesy children's book about a young girl with cystic fibrosis and it used to make me bawl.
regby

Post by regby »

There have been many. The first and most memorable though, was Black Beauty. As a child and a horse-lover this book broke my heart, especially poor Ginger.
cynde11

Post by cynde11 »

One book that made me cry was Nights of Rodathe by Nicholas Sparks .... read it in an afternoon and cried at the end.
omshanti 1
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omshanti-1.html
Latest Review: "Jagged Little Edges" by Lorelie Rozzano

Post by omshanti 1 »

Does it matter if it's fiction or non fiction?

Non fiction, definitely Codependent No More by Melody Beattie, cried through the whole freaking book...fiction, Lover Eternal by J. R. Ward, best cry ever :) 2nd best cry would be Deathly Hallows...
Latest Review: "Jagged Little Edges" by Lorelie Rozzano
dorie

Post by dorie »

The Shack had me crying. Sorry can't think of the author
KimB0416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimb0416.html

Post by KimB0416 »

Yes there have been two that I can think of off hand.

Tuesday's with Morrie by Mitch Albom was one that made me tear up a few times while reading.
Another is called Oceans Apart by Karen Kingsbury. Both were such heart warming stories and both were very hard to put down.
brad786
Favorite Book: The Midnights Children

Post by brad786 »

I am a sensitive person, so it is common for me to cry for many books but I think the first book which had me in tears was probably "Love Story"written by Erich Segal.
mcamry93

Post by mcamry93 »

I cry just about every time I read a book. The ones that have gotten me the most were any of the Nicholas Sparks books.
PainKillerIndy
Favorite Author: no one specific
Favorite Book: Still looking for IT
Currently Reading: Peter Pan

Post by PainKillerIndy »

The Light Between Oceans made me cry at the end. It was very difficult not to.
Read: 8/52 (15.4%)
2013 Challenge: 52 Books in 52 Weeks.
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

otleylovebug wrote:Had to think about this - I cried at lots of films - but a book that did make me cry was Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. So sad at the end and dramatic as he is going tothe guillotine. :(
Got to admit that I very nearly cried at the end of "Tale of Two Cities". Fantastic book, probably my favourite Dickens. :D
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
RaRa
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rara.html

Post by RaRa »

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”