Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
booklvr62
Favorite Author: Richard Preston many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Dandelion Wine</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by booklvr62 »

I was happily married for 30 years to a man who was not a book reader. :wink:
Denise60
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Denise60 »

Yes, I could and have dated and married men who are not avid readers for pleasure. Most men I know are readers for information only. Sad, I know! Mmmm...maybe someone should write a book about compatible reading mates and/or how to meet people of the same reading persuasion?
C0ldf1re

Post by C0ldf1re »

Denise60 wrote:... Mmmm...maybe someone should write a book about compatible reading mates and/or how to meet people of the same reading persuasion?
Betcha that 99% of the readers would be female! :D
8) The hedgehogs have eaten the breakfast. The rose has wilted. And I've put my trousers on. 8) -------------------- (See Post #1501)
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

C0ldf1re wrote:
Denise60 wrote:... Mmmm...maybe someone should write a book about compatible reading mates and/or how to meet people of the same reading persuasion?
Oh please, don't give ideas to the "self help" gurus.
It is a well know fact of nature that opposites attract so why would you want a partner who was a clone of yourself? No, give me the guy who fecks off doing his boy things and leaves me space and peace to do my reading. :lol: :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
C0ldf1re

Post by C0ldf1re »

Fran wrote:
C0ldf1re wrote:
Oh please, don't give ideas to the "self help" gurus.
It is a well know fact of nature that opposites attract so why would you want a partner who was a clone of yourself? No, give me the guy who fecks off doing his boy things and leaves me space and peace to do my reading. :lol: :lol:
No more help to anybody else for free! It's now my idea. (Thank you, Denise. I'll mention you in my acknowledgements section.) My working title is, "How the reading girls capture their men." Brilliant marketing, of course, seeing it is aimed at reading girls, and they are the ones buying books. Chapter One: Lurking around the military history section of a public library wearing a short skirt and a big smile. Chapter Two: Memorizing the scores for your local football team for the last century, while wearing a tight sweater. Chapter Three: Where to find wealthy single men who like cats, while wearing Chanel No. 5. The book almost writes itself! Now... Shall I write as a man, or under my female nom de plume? :D
8) The hedgehogs have eaten the breakfast. The rose has wilted. And I've put my trousers on. 8) -------------------- (See Post #1501)
clintessential

Post by clintessential »

@Coldf1re RE: Mrs. Till's identification of her son's corpse would be suspect because it was so badly mutilated.
The court wouldn't proceed(or not proceed) based on her analysis of the body would they? That would be the job
of the County Coroner or Pathologist wouldn't it? And he would have to have dental records or some corroborating
medical documentation that could positively identify the corpse as Emmit Till. As it turns out, the whole affair
was a charade. A couple of months after they were acquitted, the two Klansmen confessed to Look Magazine that
they had murdered Till. They got $4000 for their story. They showed reporters the workshop where they tortured
him, and where they shot him in the head(the coupe de gras). The body was returned to Mrs Till in Chicago, where
he is buried. Mrs Till insisted on an open casket for the viewing. She wanted the world to see what her son's
murderers had done to her boy. The round from the gun that killed him had left a gaping hole between his forehead
where it entered and a corresponding spot in the back of his head. The undertaker left the hole untouched. I'm
sure none of the mourners who filed past his body will ever forget what they saw. The avatar is a reproduction of that image.
You can only be grounded if you're crazy. If you come to me and tell me you should be grounded because you're crazy, I won't ground you.
Why not: Because crazy people don't think they're crazy.
PainKillerIndy
Favorite Author: no one specific
Favorite Book: Still looking for IT
Currently Reading: Peter Pan

Post by PainKillerIndy »

I'm married and she doesn't read much, it kind of bothers me sometimes but I can live with it 8)
clintessential

Post by clintessential »

[quote="clintessential"]@Coldf1re RE: Mrs. Till's identification of her son's corpse would be suspect because it was so badly mutilated.
The court wouldn't proceed(or not proceed) based on her analysis of the body would they? That would be the job
of the County Coroner or Pathologist wouldn't it? And he would have to have dental records or some corroborating
medical documentation that could positively identify the corpse as Emmit Till. As it turns out, the whole affair
was a charade. A couple of months after they were acquitted, the two Klansmen confessed to Look Magazine that
they had murdered Till. They got $4000 for their story. They showed reporters the workshop where they tortured
him, and where they shot him in the head(the coupe de gras). The body was returned to Mrs Till in Chicago, where
he is buried. Mrs Till insisted on an open casket for the viewing. She wanted the world to see what her son's
murderers had done to her boy. The round from the gun that killed him had left a gaping hole between his forehead
where it entered and a corresponding spot in the back of his head. The undertaker left the hole untouched. I'm
sure none of the mourners who filed past his body will ever forget what they saw.
You can only be grounded if you're crazy. If you come to me and tell me you should be grounded because you're crazy, I won't ground you.
jadamia1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jadamia1.html

Post by jadamia1 »

This question sounds a little bit silly to me, "Could you date someone... who chooses to read almost nothing?" In this day and age, unless you come from a war and poverty stricken country with little or no accessibility to books or modern technology, it is almost impossible not to read. Whether you are a student or a working adult, you will most likely have to read whether it is required books for school, manuals for your job or simply browsing the mass information on the internet. Maybe re-phrasing the question to something along the line of,"could you date someone who does not read books?" The answer is yes. If you are worried about not having an intelligent conversation with a person who does not read books, this is not necessarily true. Intelligence comes in different forms and sometimes people who do not read books, are more wise in life than someone who has read many books. After all, what we read either comes from direct experiences in life or the vivid imagination of the mind which often is triggered by a real life experience.
clintessential

Post by clintessential »

@jadamia1 You're absolutely right. We live in societies(I assume you live in an industrialized, first world country)
that measure intelligence with metrics that are functions of reading. You're not going to do well on the Stanford-
Binet IQ Test if you have limited reading skills. But the same person, when asked to create a system that can
load bags of cement on railroad cars may have no problem at all because of his grasp of spatial relationships.
I've read some of these comments dismissing "non-readers" because they aren't interested or aren't conversant
in subjects that a reader is. You're judging them based on how they function in your environment. What if the
situation is reversed? That's the situation I found myself in for almost 20 years. I wasn't uncomfortable, but I
did have to adapt. I was a weldor/fitter. The welding was relatively easy. Fitting? Not so much. I was
working with guys who could rebuild the engine in the car they drove when they were 15. Whereas my solution to
a problem was always mathematical, they could look at the space the parts were going to occupy, cut the parts
so they were close, then dial them in as they needed to. I was still measuring dimensions(alot of them were unnecessary)and wasting time. Eventually I learned to look at problems the way they did, but it took a while.
They were willing to help me because I was genuinely interested in what they had to say. What I learned from them
has carried over to my favorite hobby: vintage cars. I never dated any of them mostly because they had limited dancing
skills and they drank too much. That's alway a problem among the proletariat. :lol: :lol: :lol:
lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Post by lady_charlie »

I have been with the same guy since 1984 and he hasn't finished a book that I know of during the time we have been together.

He is amazing and my polar opposite and takes excellent care of me.

Another bookworm like me might be interesting, but at 8:30 on a cold wet night when I have 6.5 pounds of tire pressure and not the foggiest notion what to do next. or when I hit a deer or back into someone in a parking lot, who do I call first?

My knight in shining armor.

BTW he thinks it is funny that he can beat me at Scrabble and Scattergories sometimes.
MelMariah
Currently Reading: A Head Full of Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by MelMariah »

I don't think I'd be able to.
I could however date someone who reads say...3 times a year? But they'd have to be knowledgable and tolerable with my rants and referrals to books I would be currently reading
Schonaye242
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Too many to name just one.
Currently Reading: Lost and Found by Jayne Ann Krentz
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Schonaye242 »

I can and actually I am currently dating someone that is not an avid reader like me. However, their is more to a relationship like caring, commitment and other interests that you and someone can share besides reading. Just because someone does not read a new book every so often does not mean that they are less intelligent or can contribute to an intellectual conversation none the less.
BooksNJoy
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Favorite Book: The Picture of Dorian Gray
Currently Reading: The music of the spheres
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by BooksNJoy »

Of course I could, my fiancé is unable to read a book since it's always too long.
He is what you may call a "geek", he plays video games, he is often on the PC (for forum discussion, or the news) even when he comes to bed he needs to read stuffs on the computer and sometimes he falls alseep.
Fortunately he doesn't do that all day long. He works at a geriatic hospital so he needs to evacuate tensions. For him trivial things is a way exorcize Death.
"And, after all, what is a lie? 'Tis but
The truth in masquerade."

Lord Byron, Don Juan
Phoenix98

Post by Phoenix98 »

I got home tonight to find, lo and behold, a book that I didn't recognize. I at first assumed it was something I'd ordered. Turns out my wife picked one up--one of those people who "don't read."

It isn't of a subject matter that interests me, but what the hey? most of my fellow members here don't read what interests me.

Maybe I have a convert. :)
Token conservative

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”