Classical Suggestions

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
purplesilk
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by purplesilk »

I just finished Uncle Tom's Cabin for the same reason you posted this discussion. I don't remember any of the classics I read for school and thought it would be a shame not to re-read them.
Seraphy

Post by Seraphy »

Old Man and Sea
The Bluest Eye
Walden
Invisible Man
MandyMe

Post by MandyMe »

I'm very fond of Shakespeare, Oscar Wilde, and Lord Byron. The way the books, plays, and poetry are written is almost lyrical in nature and I appreciate the way the flowery words can hide darker or tawdry undertones.

Some other classics I enjoyed:
The Count of Monte Cristo
Little Women
Huckleberry Finn
Frankenstein
The Illiad
The Odyssey
Bearsfan

Post by Bearsfan »

I'll second For Whom The Bell Tolls, what a well told story. It is also not difficult to read because it is not really that old. I recently read Treasure Island for the first time. It was decent, but a much tougher read.
ralfy

Post by ralfy »

There are lots to consider. Try, for example, Bloom's canon list.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

I think it depends on what type of reader you are. By this I mean, if you are an accomplished reader who tends to vet a novel thoroughly with an eye to symbolism, metaphor, motif, etc then any of the classics mentioned above would suffice; but, if you tend to read more superficially then I would recommend authors like Dickens, Steinbeck, or Austin as a good place to start. Even these author's works are deeper than they appear at first glance but I think they are more accessible to the average reader than say, for instance, the Russians (Tolstoy & Dostoyevsky).

To give you an example of what a reader can miss with regard to a novel which could otherwise be read and thoroughly enjoyed superficially I have posted an exegeses of things I found in a Dickens book - link included below. The topic is called Observations: David Copperfield, by Charles DIckens . (May be of interest to those who have already read the novel but it contains spoilers - a warning to those who have not.) forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewtopic.php ... amp;t=9962
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
ralfy

Post by ralfy »

Also, check out books like The Well-Educated Mind.
Artistic

Post by Artistic »

I don't know if this could qualify as a novel but the translation reads like one:
Odysseus.
shyluh_anne
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shyluh-anne.html

Post by shyluh_anne »

I love Fahrenheit 451. But I am a huge Ray Bradbury fan. The Catcher in the Rye is also great.
SheldrakeWriter
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheldrakewriter.html
Latest Review: "A Newlywed's Adventures in Married Land" by Shweta Ganesh Kumar

Post by SheldrakeWriter »

I'm not the first and I won't be the last, but can I highly recommend Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment? It's a slightly daunting prospect given its size, but I tore through it in a few weeks once I'd got going and I am by no means a speed-reader. Dostoevsky found a way of meshing philosophy with narrative in a way very few writers have done. Classic status has many criteria, but no writer who has managed that feat is not in the category.
As well as being a finely structured novel (at 600 pages or so its still does not need an editor to go through it with a scythe) it is also a genuinely modern reading experience. We are inside the protagonist's head in a way that we have become familiar with since then, but the novel retains a freshness to that experience which I find hard to match. Given the acts that the protagonist performs over the course of the story, it is a thoroughly engaging investigation of the sinister side of the human condition.
If I have one recommendation for a reading process, it is to dive right in. Twenty pages here and thirty there will make progress wearingly slow. Read it ninety pages at a time or don't read it at all.
Latest Review: "A Newlywed's Adventures in Married Land" by Shweta Ganesh Kumar

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”