Twilight Vs. Harry Potter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KimB0416
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimb0416.html

Re: Twilight Vs. Harry Potter

Post by KimB0416 »

Honestly, I am not a fan of Harry Potter. The details that she put into them were unnecessary. Granted the Twilight books got longer with each book, the reading seemed to flow better. I am in total agreement with the original post however, that the rivalry is pretty silly. And it seems to be getting worse with the movies.
Ashmitha_97

Post by Ashmitha_97 »

TWILIGHT AND HARRY POTTER!! are two completely different books!! firstly twilight is more of a romance and harry potter is full of fantasy while romance is the key of twilight it is only a small section in harry potter. i honestly feel after reading harry potter, twilight might be a different turn even thought fantasy is the base the essence varies a lot.
amber_chocolate

Post by amber_chocolate »

Actually, in my opinion, HP is much better, the way they phrase it is sooooo much better than Twilight. twilight really takes ages to explain one love story which I think is really pathetic. No offense intended but I might be wrong and all.
starla1781
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starla1781.html
Latest Review: "Full Circle" by Michael hawk Spisak

Post by starla1781 »

I enjoyed both series immensely. However, when doing a comparison, you need to keep in mind the intended audience. The Harry Potter series was originally written for very young readers such as pre-teens. It did evolve into a much darker story in the which the characters seemed to have more depth and growth as the series progressed thereby turning into a story in which adults could enjoy as well.
In the case of Twilight, I felt it targeted adolescents specifically. Not just because of the age and situation of the characters. It was an extremely fast-paced read and didn't have the character development that the HP series had.
Latest Review: "Full Circle" by Michael hawk Spisak
facebook fans

Post by facebook fans »

No both are different.. But harry Potter is too good..
KWright
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwright.html

Post by KWright »

I agree with starla1781, but I wanted to expand a little bit more. I feel like thematically the two series differ seriously. While the Harry Potter series focuses on individual development and personal growth to conquer the previously-construed unconquerable, the Twilight saga seems more focused on the family and human connections even between superhuman individuals.

Aside from the fact that Harry Potter was popular, and that Twilight is now popular, I don't see a huge similarity between the books. Besides, at least at this point in time, I believe that Twilight is waning (especially the books) and a void is ready to be filled by the next big hit!
twinbabies2000
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twinbabies2000.html
Latest Review: "The Saltwater Ghost" by Shiela Jane

Post by twinbabies2000 »

Two totally different types series. I enjoyed reading every single book from both series and never thought of comparing them to each other. It really doesn't make sense to do so to me, unless you're comparing how the books were written and not the content.
Latest Review: "The Saltwater Ghost" by Shiela Jane
donnabad

Post by donnabad »

I am in agreement w/most of the posts that I have read. They ARE very different but I think it is because they were directed at different kinds of audiences. When Harry Potter starts out, he is eleven years old and the book is directed toward an audience of the same age. As Harry aged, so does the reader and the story stays appropriate.

I feel that Twighlight, while at first is directed toward the high-school aged teen, it progresses too quickly in that, some inappropriate subjects are brought up. I think the sexuality of the book was a little to intense for teens.
LadyStardust
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Shining
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by LadyStardust »

I know this subject has been hashed to death, but it is a "competition" that seems to persist, and maybe we'll never understand why. Very different series, with very different audiences.

Did I enjoy both? Sure.

Would I read them both over again, indefinitely? Nope. I pooped out after a second read-through of the first three Twilight books (couldn't even convince myself to read Breaking Dawn again. No thanks!), but have read all of the HP books at least 5 or 6 times through.

Some people like pancakes for breakfast, some people like eggs. If I had to pick just one, I'd pick eggs, because they keep me satisfied longer. ;) But that's just personal preference. ;)
sbanks147
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sbanks147.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by sbanks147 »

I think that both were great in their own ways. Each did have a different intended audience, and twilight focused a lot more on romance and the paranormal while HP did not have much romance, showing the different audiences the books were intended for. There isn't much similarity between the two book series, and they are both great in their own ways. They have both been favorites and are well written to where they can hold the readers attention throughout the whole series.
Andi73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andi73.html

Post by Andi73 »

I've read both sets & I have to say Harry Potter is more of a standout for me. It didn't matter how old you were, all the characters had interesting storylines & none were left hanging.
rachel5
Favorite Author: C.S Lewis
Favorite Book: Narnia and Redwall
Currently Reading: Aesop

Post by rachel5 »

Neither. The Hunger Games holds my interest more.
A book is a movie that plays in your mind while you read the words in it
jray321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jray321.html

Post by jray321 »

I have read both series and I enjoyed each of them in their own way. I don't think that a fan of both series should be forced to choose one over the other. That is such a ridiculous idea. Granted I can see how some people may like Harry Potter more then the Twilight series or vice versa, but that is their opinion. Both are a good series and ones that I would recommend to anyone who is willing to enjoy them for the stories that they are.

-- 25 Feb 2013, 21:15 --
rachel5 wrote:Neither. The Hunger Games holds my interest more.
rachel5: The Hunger Gamers are AWESOME! I'm working my way through the last one right now and I can't wait to finish it! :)
goodinbf

Post by goodinbf »

I don't understand where the competition came from either, really...but I must say that I've fallen victim to it. I am an avid Harry Potter fan. I'm not a big Twilight fan (the movies or the books, for that matter). I do not think Twilight was as much of a page-turner as Harry Potter and I definitely think the big picture (themes and values) of Harry Potter are much more important and deeper than those of Twilight.

-- 11 Mar 2013, 09:21 --

Also, Harry Potter was great because the story progressed as I grew up. I got to grow up with the characters, which I think is what makes the series so good.
rachel5
Favorite Author: C.S Lewis
Favorite Book: Narnia and Redwall
Currently Reading: Aesop

Post by rachel5 »

I love Tolkien's books, like The Hobbit over both.
A book is a movie that plays in your mind while you read the words in it

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”