What are you reading right now ?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
hazelk
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What are you reading right now ?

Post by hazelk »

At the moment I am reading "Once in a house on fire" by Andrea Ashworth, it is a memoir. This little book is a queue jumper, I only purchased it this morning, I am find it a fascinating read.

qmdqwd, I also love the classics.
dnashby

Post by dnashby »

I’m just starting Executive Power by Vince Flynn. I’ve read one other novel of his and it was ok. Thought I’d give him a second chance.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Finished the Jim Stynes story - a great man whose life was cut too short.

Back to the world of fiction and only my second ever Jane Austen novel - Mansfield Park.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Unusually for me my next read is a factual book - Stasiland by Anna Funder
I read her All that I Am last week and really enjoyed it so when I was in the library & happened to see Stasiland I decided it was a must read. However, given the subject matter I don't expect any laughs.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Redlegs

Post by Redlegs »

Fran wrote:Unusually for me my next read is a factual book - Stasiland by Anna Funder
I read her All that I Am last week and really enjoyed it so when I was in the library & happened to see Stasiland I decided it was a must read. However, given the subject matter I don't expect any laughs.
Hi Fran, I am keen to read All That I Am - how did you find it? I have read Stasiland -it is very compelling, but, you're right, there aren't too many laughs,

-- 15 Dec 2012, 20:03 --

I finished Radclyffe Hall's Well of Loneliness last night. This is a great piece of literature dealing with societal attitudes to lesbianism in the 1920s, which remains relevant to anti-gay attitudes that prevail today. I can't believe that women who preferred other women were referred to as "inverts"! This book was banned simply because the characters in the book did not apologise for their vices and were portrayed with sympathy.
The daily bus book will now be Beyond Black by Hilary Mantel, which pre-dates her more famous recent Booker Prize winning novels. Beyond Black was shortlisted for the 2006 Orange Prize.

Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

@Redlegs
I enjoyed All That I Am but did find the format a bit challenging for the first couple of chapters but then once I got into it I found it compelling reading. While I have read an awful lot on WW1 & WW11, the Nazi era & the Holocaust I haven't read a lot about the Weimar period and IMO those diplomats, artists & intellectuals who correctly anticipated the consequences of Hitler and the Nazi are ill served by posterity. We tend to think of the period between the wars as peace & quiet in Europe with not a lot happening - how wrong we are.
I'd be interested in your opinion of Beyond Black, I haven't read it but Wolf Hall & Bring Up The Bodies are absolutely brilliant. Do yet me know if you recommend adding Beyond Black to the inexhaustible TBR list please. :)
Not far into Stasiland yet but it reminded me of the movie The Lives of Others ... brilliant movie IMO
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
jomarie

Post by jomarie »

I just started The Seneca Scourge by Carrie Rubin the December book. It grabs you right away. Looking forward to it very much.
WendyJo67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendyjo67.html

Post by WendyJo67 »

I am reading Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult
Geneen Karstens

Post by Geneen Karstens »

I'm about halfway through The Hard Way by Lee Child. Definitely a page-turner. Very good so far.
Redlegs

Post by Redlegs »

Fran wrote:@Redlegs
I enjoyed All That I Am but did find the format a bit challenging for the first couple of chapters but then once I got into it I found it compelling reading. While I have read an awful lot on WW1 & WW11, the Nazi era & the Holocaust I haven't read a lot about the Weimar period and IMO those diplomats, artists & intellectuals who correctly anticipated the consequences of Hitler and the Nazi are ill served by posterity. We tend to think of the period between the wars as peace & quiet in Europe with not a lot happening - how wrong we are.
I'd be interested in your opinion of Beyond Black, I haven't read it but Wolf Hall & Bring Up The Bodies are absolutely brilliant. Do yet me know if you recommend adding Beyond Black to the inexhaustible TBR list please. :)
Not far into Stasiland yet but it reminded me of the movie The Lives of Others ... brilliant movie IMO
@Fran - I will let you know how it goes with Beyond Black. Early days yet.

downrivergirl

Post by downrivergirl »

Curious Jim by Carry Lada :D
I purchased it on kindle
KatieD

Post by KatieD »

I just finished Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah. It drags a bit the first four chapters and then picks up. I found it to be a very poignant love story with a heroine who endured unimaginable hardship.
WendyJo67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendyjo67.html

Post by WendyJo67 »

Katie,

I have Winter Garden on my list of "to reads". I really like Kristin Hannah. Thanks for your comments on the book.
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I started History of the British People By Nennius. Interesting so far, I should finish it tomorrow.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
A24

Post by A24 »

I will be starting "The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon soon. This is my December book of the month read and hopefully I will get some time to read it. But, being as I just finished my November book of the month Dec 15, I guess I'll be late for this one too. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about this book so anxious to see what it is all about.
“The Bible is worth all the other books which have ever been printed.”
~Patrick Henry

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”