Ever read a book you thought you should like but didn't?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Carrie R
Favorite Author: So many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=19706">A Fine Balance</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull

Ever read a book you thought you should like but didn't?

Post by Carrie R »

After having several people tell me I should read Life of Pi by Yann Martel, I finally did. "It's so good! You'll love it!" they all said. Yes, it was beautifully written and contained important life messages, but I really didn't like it all that much. I'm almost embarrassed to say so, given how popular it was (and now there's a movie coming out).

What about you? Any books you've read that are loved by the masses but not you?
Official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull ~ March book of the month!

Review of The Seneca Scourge - Previous book of the month!
aornis
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aornis.html

Post by aornis »

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
Such a bestseller and I also heard a lot of people declaring they absolutely loved it, but when I read it I was a bit disappointed. Not that it was badly written, I suppose it just didn't strike a chord with me.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Carrie R wrote:After having several people tell me I should read Life of Pi by Yann Martel, I finally did. "It's so good! You'll love it!" they all said. Yes, it was beautifully written and contained important life messages, but I really didn't like it all that much. I'm almost embarrassed to say so, given how popular it was (and now there's a movie coming out).

I'm 100% with you Carrie ... could not fathom what readers found so great in the Life of Pi, whatever it was it flew right over my head for sure. Another one I'll mention is Catch 22, though I try hard to forget it! All The Pretty Horses is another bestseller I literally found tedious reading.

But on the title of your topic - there aren't any books I thought I should like but lots of books I thought I would like but didn't. There aren't IMO any books I am obliged to like it is entirely a matter of personal taste. :)
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
EmmaH
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmah.html
Latest Review: "The Ambition of Madame LaFargue" by Henri Duval

Post by EmmaH »

Carrie R wrote:After having several people tell me I should read Life of Pi by Yann Martel, I finally did. "It's so good! You'll love it!" they all said. Yes, it was beautifully written and contained important life messages, but I really didn't like it all that much. I'm almost embarrassed to say so, given how popular it was (and now there's a movie coming out).

When I first saw the topic for this thread, my first thought was "Life of Pi" before I even saw the first post! I read it on the recommendation of a friend, and after seeing a ton of positive reviews online. Some of the reviews online made it seem like this book would change my life, so I had very high hopes. It's very rare that I don't finish a book (even if if only because of guilt sometimes), but I had to stop reading this book halfway through. I actually enjoyed the first part of the book, but then it got ridiculously slow. I was trudging through thinking, "I can't wait to get past the lifeboat part"...then I flipped ahead and there was still like a hundred pages left of lifeboat scenes. I literally threw the book on the floor and gave up. I'm sorry, I just found it so BORING. Everyone told me the end totally made it worth it, so I googled it just out of curiosity....interesting twist I suppose, but nothing could have made finishing that book worth it to me. I know I'm in the minority for feeling this way about this book, but I just don't get what all the hype is about.
Latest Review: "The Ambition of Madame LaFargue" by Henri Duval
aornis
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aornis.html

Post by aornis »

Fran wrote: But on the title of your topic - there aren't any books I thought I should like but lots of books I thought I would like but didn't. There aren't IMO any books I am obliged to like it is entirely a matter of personal taste. :)
I interpreted "should" in the context of this topic as: Well, given the information I have about the book and other things I like, this surely is a book for me. I should like it.
So just like you said, less what you are obliged to like but more what you expect of yourself and the book.
Carrie R
Favorite Author: So many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=19706">A Fine Balance</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull

Post by Carrie R »

EmmaH wrote: When I first saw the topic for this thread, my first thought was "Life of Pi" before I even saw the first post!
I'm so glad to learn from you and the others that I'm not the only one. :)

-- 20 Nov 2012, 18:21 --
aornis wrote:I interpreted "should" in the context of this topic as: Well, given the information I have about the book and other things I like, this surely is a book for me. I should like it.
That's true--that would be another way to interpret it. I guess I was meaning I "should" like it because everyone thought it was so good. Makes me wonder if I'm missing something. But with "Life of Pi" I should've trusted my instincts, because when I read the book's description, it didn't seem like a book for me. I read it out of peer pressure. :wink:
Official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull ~ March book of the month!

Review of The Seneca Scourge - Previous book of the month!
hazelk

Post by hazelk »

"LIfe of Pi" was not for me, I did try but no!!

Another few that I can recall, they all received great praise was "Sense of an Ending" by Julian Barnes, this is a Man Booker winner, "The Sea" by John Banville (another Man Booker winner) and "Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern, again not for me. All of these three were raved over on another on-line reading forum.

I sometimes look up Good Reads for others' opinions and find that I am not alone!!

I must admit that if a book does not capture me in the first chapter or so I start on another, it is a very good way of thinning out the TBRS'. :mrgreen:
Kathe
Favorite Author: Not Sure
Favorite Book: Little Big by John Crowley
Currently Reading: Ghost Story by Peter Straub
fav_author_id: 9087

Post by Kathe »

I'm also with you on Life of Pi. I found it boring and it did not deliver on so many levels. It's been awhile since I've read it, but I don't even remember it having any important life messages.

If I can think of another one, I'll post it later. :D
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Life Of Pi is one of those books which has been on my TBR list for a long time. After reading all of the negative comments here I have removed it from said list and thank all of you who commented.

A couple of books I could cite which the critics say I SHOULD like but just didn't do a thing for me were Franny & Zooey and Catcher In The Rye. I guess I just don't like Salinger's way of writing or maybe I simply couldn't relate to what he was writing about. Add to this Nabokov's Lolita. I've read these books more than once thinking the problem was ME but now I don't think so. Franny & Zooey just about put me to sleep both times I read it.

I'm not knocking anyone who does like these books but like many things in life we all respond differently to our own individual tastes and sometimes this can get complicated. EXAMPLE: I did like Sense of an Ending which was recommended to me by Fran (whose opinions are generally spot on), and which hazlek does not like, but I loved Catch-22 which Fran does NOT like but I am betting hazlek might.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Trix9201
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trix9201.html
Latest Review: "The Freedman and the Pharaoh's Staff" by Lane Heymont

Post by Trix9201 »

I was hugely disappointed by Love in the Time of Cholera. My friends recommended it highly and it was also featured in one of my favourite romantic movies as a powerful love story. I found it dreadfully dull and reading it at times was utter drudgery. Bogged down in descriptions, difficult phrasing, and endless waiting in parks, I trudged valiantly onward but was never rewarded with the heartrending, sweeping romance I had been seeking.
Latest Review: "The Freedman and the Pharaoh's Staff" by Lane Heymont
Gannon
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

DATo wrote:Life Of Pi is one of those books which has been on my TBR list for a long time. After reading all of the negative comments here I have removed it from said list and thank all of you who commented.

A couple of books I could cite which the critics say I SHOULD like but just didn't do a thing for me were Franny & Zooey and Catcher In The Rye. I guess I just don't like Salinger's way of writing or maybe I simply couldn't relate to what he was writing about. Add to this Nabokov's Lolita. I've read these books more than once thinking the problem was ME but now I don't think so. Franny & Zooey just about put me to sleep both times I read it.

I'm not knocking anyone who does like these books but like many things in life we all respond differently to our own individual tastes and sometimes this can get complicated. EXAMPLE: I did like Sense of an Ending which was recommended to me by Fran (whose opinions are generally spot on), and which hazlek does not like, but I loved Catch-22 which Fran does NOT like but I am betting hazlek might.
Howdy DATo, please don't give up on "Life of Pi" yet. I loved it and would very much like to hear your opinion on it. It is a very short book, able to be read in one sitting, so it won't take up much time. Hope you give it a go. :D

PS
I agree with you about "Catcher in the Rye". I did not enjoy it at all. I keep telling myself I will go back and give it another go but I never do.
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I never could get into Shakespeare. Ive tried to read some of it, but It never did anything for me. Its fairly easy to understand if you take your time, but I dont like a book where you have to read parts over again to get the full meaning. Too cumbersome for me. I must be used to easy to read cheap trashy books.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
catt_mole

Post by catt_mole »

Catcher in the Rye.
I am sorry, I know it's near blasphemy.
DATo

Post by DATo »

Gannon wrote:
Howdy DATo, please don't give up on "Life of Pi" yet. I loved it and would very much like to hear your opinion on it. It is a very short book, able to be read in one sitting, so it won't take up much time. Hope you give it a go. :D
Gannon,

I very highly value your opinions. Life of PI is back on my TBR list.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
brad786
Favorite Book: The Midnights Children

Post by brad786 »

A friend of mine once presented me with a book "A Thousand Splendid Suns", written by Khaled Hosseini. After hearing a very positive review about this book from friend, I started to read it but was disappointed with it. It's not like it is badly written or something but I didn't connect myself with the book.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”