Official Review: Luke, I Am Your Father

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ewassall
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ewassall.html
Latest Review: "The Hidden Ones" by Nancy Madore

Official Review: Luke, I Am Your Father

Post by ewassall »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Luke I Am Your Father" by Scott Pixxello.]

Review of Luke I Am Your Father by Scott Pixxello
Review by: Erika Wassall

Rating: 3 out of 4

This book has an interesting combination of a light-hearted writing style and a serious topic. Basically, it’s a story about a young boy’s perspective on finding out he’s going to be father and the many hard choices that come along with that. Along the way Scott Pixxello does a very real job of demonstrating that girls are different than boys.

Dan and Emily have gotten pregnant. Is Dan ready to be a father? How does a 16-year-old who doesn’t know what he wants to do with the next 5 years of his even go about answering that question? His friends come up with some unusual ways of testing him, and his father makes a few comments, but ultimately no one can answer that but Dan himself.

At times the writing was a bit too rambling and there seemed to be sections that were largely just filler. However, it’s written from the perspective of a 16-year-old boy, whose lives are mostly inane with bursts of importance, so it does fit the bill.

One of the things I found extremely interesting was the way the writer captured the way a BOY would deal with these things. There are no long heart-to-heart talks or tearful epiphanies. The story is about Dan. And in reality, most 16-year-old boys don’t function like that. They go fishing and make fun of each other. This story holds that true to form in a humorous, and realistic manner.

Reactions that most girls would find callous, are often boys ways of truly supporting each other, and Dan’s friends, Flipper, Muppet and Dave are certainly no exception to that rule. Like most teen boys, they don’t stay on topic for more than two minutes, and from an outsider’s perspective, seem to have a way of avoiding saying anything “real” or taking anything seriously. But at the same time, they are genuine and supportive.

The book was enjoyable to read. The combination of writing style, humor and the seriousness of the situation the characters found themselves in lead to a light-hearted, but thought provoking book.

Buy "Luke I Am Your Father" on Amazon
Latest Review: "The Hidden Ones" by Nancy Madore

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”