Why People Read Less And Less

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: Why People Read Less And Less

Post by Bighuey »

You guys brought up some good points. True, 100 years ago or more the average person didnt have the time or energy to read a lot, they were out busting buns sunup until sundown trying to make a living. Besides so many people were illiterate too and books were too expensive for the common working man. In about the late teens and early 20's they came out with the pulps and that sort of thing that were cheap and available just about everywhere. I would guess more people started reading even if a lot of it was trash. But then radio came along, Amos and Andy and The Lone Ranger replaced reading for a lot of people. Then TV came along, and later video games and computers that took people away from reading. Its funny, 100 years ago most people didnt read because they were working long hours and there wernt many books around and now most people dont read even though they dont work long hours and books are easily available, but not many have any interest in books. Its probably the same percentage of people who read now as a hundred years ago.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
andrewmicky
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by andrewmicky »

Polls keep showing that more and more people in today's world read less and less
Krobert1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krobert1.html

Post by Krobert1 »

I don't know if I would read as much if I didn't have the time to designate. I get an hour for lunch at work everyday. I live too far to drive home, so I bring my current book. Although if it is addicting enough, I will continue to read it once I get home and every free minute I can spare.

On the other hand, my husband does not read at all. He doesn't have the imagination for it.
writerworld

Post by writerworld »

:( Yeah I agree with you people do nowadays read less and less. Depending on one's lifestyle. But I know for me, being a college student, it is hard to read the books that I do want to read, but also I know Christmas and Summer breaks are my time to catch up on my readings that I have missed for the school year. And plus we have ebooks so people are going on that to read as well. :D
fitzml
Favorite Author: Ayn Rand
Favorite Book: The Fountainhead
Currently Reading: The Stranger Beside me by Ann Rule
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fitzml.html
Latest Review: "Maggie Magdalene" by James Byron Huggins
fav_author_id: 2597

Post by fitzml »

Sadly, I think that all the factors you mentioned play a part. I can still remember when there were only three television networks that signed off after 1 a.m. and there was no cable, Pay-Per-View, 24-hour talk radio, Netflix, DVDs, etc., but books have alot of competition these days: t.v., movies, the Internet. I think that so much competition has resulted in intellectual laziness - or - passivity. Reading a book involves a commitment of time and a sacrifice of something else. Today, audiobooks can be listened to while driving, doing laundry, etc. Reading also requires us to use our imagination and interpret things for ourselves. Television and movies do alot of imagining and interpreting for us. People also seem to be alot less reflective these days. Reading tends to force us to do some reflection on what we've read. Today it's all about instant gratification and people seem eager to say and share whatever pops into their mind as soon as it occurs. Maybe that's why people are so obsessed with posting on Facebook and Twitter, non-stop texting and posting videos on You Tube.

-- 25 Nov 2012, 03:05 --

Sadly, I think that all the factors you mentioned play a part. I can still remember when there were only three television networks that signed off after 1 a.m. and there was no cable, Pay-Per-View, 24-hour talk radio, Netflix, DVDs, etc., but books have alot of competition these days: t.v., movies, the Internet. I think that so much competition has resulted in intellectual laziness - or - passivity. Reading a book involves a commitment of time and a sacrifice of something else. Today, audiobooks can be listened to while driving, doing laundry, etc. Reading also requires us to use our imagination and interpret things for ourselves. Television and movies do alot of imagining and interpreting for us. People also seem to be alot less reflective these days. Reading tends to force us to do some reflection on what we've read. Today it's all about instant gratification and people seem eager to say and share whatever pops into their mind as soon as it occurs. Maybe that's why people are so obsessed with posting on Facebook and Twitter, non-stop texting and posting videos on You Tube.
Latest Review: "Maggie Magdalene" by James Byron Huggins
Phoenix98

Post by Phoenix98 »

Several reasons have been offered for the dimished interest in reading. Probably all are right.

As I follow the comments, a 1987 book keeps coming to mind. It was given to me as a gift in 1988, so it wouldn't hurt me to reread.

Allan Bloom's The Closing of the American Mind has sold a million copies in the USA, and nearly the same internationally. It was number one NYT for a couple of months and remained a best seller well over a year.

I started to insert about half of page 64, but thought about copyright. So, here is just a sample:
Kramer vs. Kramer may be up-to-date about divorces and sex roles, but anyone who does not have Anna Karenina or The Red and the Black as part of his viewing equipment cannot sense what might be lacking, or....Thus, the failure to read good books both enfeebles the vision and strengthens our most fatal tendency...
I think he is right. The work is not just about reading. However, the failure to read good books is symptomatic of much bigger and more serious issues..
Token conservative
Ant
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Ant »

Agreed, there are only so many GOOD books to be read, there is a lot of mediocre stuff out there, so when you've read all the good books in your favourite genre what do you do ? Answer....you find other things for entertainment. :D
Trix9201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trix9201.html
Latest Review: "The Freedman and the Pharaoh's Staff" by Lane Heymont

Post by Trix9201 »

I think that people read books less because there are so many other things to read; the internet has an endless supply, magazines, newspapers to name but a few. I have friends who are reading all the time and are people of significant information but haven't finished a book since high school.

Another theory I have is that reading as a passion and a pass time needs to be modeled to people so they continue reading. The only book I saw my dad read was the Bible because he was so busy working to support all of us. But my mother was always reading to us and in front of us as a result my brothers and sister and I are voracious readers (especially reading with our kids). Nowadays, it is hard to sit down and read with your kids or on your own when there is school, dinner, extra-curricular activities, baths, homework, housework etc. My family gave up tv in order to make more time and budget room for reading.
Latest Review: "The Freedman and the Pharaoh's Staff" by Lane Heymont
twinkleshine
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twinkleshine.html

Post by twinkleshine »

I spend so much time online and it takes away from my reading. I'm trying to change that. The internet is a huge distraction for me!
ralfy

Post by ralfy »

When you do a lot of reading and writing online, then you're still reading.
MsWend2013

Post by MsWend2013 »

I can' t imagine not reading because I have always done so. My Mom read a lot, my sisters do, my brother does. I find it is a stress reliever for the most part. A way to sometimes get away for a while.
But today, with our faster paced lifestyle, it seems more people just don't have the time to sit down and read a book or magazine or a newspaper. They won't take the time for themselves, unfortunatley. Children are growing up with cell phones, video games, internet games and have no interest in sitting and reading. If they could sit long enough to read a book they might find they like it .
serenity01

Post by serenity01 »

All the reasons for this poll have already been discussed. I must have a book on hand at all times, I read before I go to sleep. I read for pleasure, relaxation, and sometimes to learn. I could live without a TV, though I don't. As for on-line the strange thing is, I don't like reading long posts, or blogs no matter the subject. Just my quirks I guess.
betterthanthem

Post by betterthanthem »

I find that so sad. I used to read a lot but recently, my life has been consumed by technology, which is why I joined this. I'm hoping I'll be able to read more.
rachel5
Favorite Author: C.S Lewis
Favorite Book: Narnia and Redwall
Currently Reading: Aesop

Post by rachel5 »

I find that the main reason why some people don't read is because they're simply too busy for it. Or at least, they think they're too busy to read. My cousins like to read, but they're lucky to fit it in with their busy softball and swimming lessons.
A book is a movie that plays in your mind while you read the words in it
sbanks147
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sbanks147.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by sbanks147 »

I agree that people are reading less and less and it is negatively affecting many, because reading is a great leisure activity in that you can still learn while you read and it an enhance your creativity. Tv is a big reason people don't read as much, because when they get free time they would rather sit down and turn on the tv because its right there and easier than reading. People would also rather go out to the movies or bar or other entertainment activities on their time off. Another big reason is people do not have enough time, because of work and other activities they do have to do, and would rather do something less mind stimulating with the little free time they do have. I have recently gotten my fiancé back into reading and now he reads every night whereas before he had not read a whole book in years.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”