Do you love to read recipe books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Eminenz CW
Bookshelf Size: 0

Do you love to read recipe books?

Post by Eminenz CW »

I love to read recipes books. My favorite book is Sanjeev kapoor recipe book. What about you?
Williamz

Post by Williamz »

not love to read but sometimes according to need ..
A24

Post by A24 »

I have an entire bookcase in my kitchen full of recipe books. I love to collect them from different places. I have my favorites with a few favs marked inside but I find lately that I usually go online for my recipes. The beauty of that is that people post their reviews which can be extremely helpful on deciding on a recipe.
“The Bible is worth all the other books which have ever been printed.”
~Patrick Henry
manusaktteva

Post by manusaktteva »

No I never read recipe books because I can't prepare recipe according to instruction mentioned in Books. If Sanjiv Kapoor prepare on TV then I can take risk.
Trix9201
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trix9201.html
Latest Review: "The Freedman and the Pharaoh's Staff" by Lane Heymont

Post by Trix9201 »

I love reading cook books. In Anna Olson's Back to Baking she notes that "some people do not actually read their cook books from cover to cover." Her books are full of great tricks and tips but also much of the science behind why what she does works. Laura Calder's books read like a novel, a French one, but a novel none the less. She is clearly in love with the entire food experience from purchase to preparing to plating and savouring. Nigella Lawson not only has great recipes but she writes her recipes and introductions with a narrative flow that makes you want to curl up and read them in front of a fire with a glass of wine. Tanna Ramsay, wife of the illustrious Gordon Ramsay, wrote a cook book that feels very homey and of course the food looks amazing and cooks up pretty much the same. Although, the lamb recipes will have to wait until the price per pound goes down enough to feed a family on a reasonable budget. Gordon Ramsay's books are straight forward, how to books, not a lot of faffing around but great for culinary learning. I have his Ultimate Cookery Course - worth the purchase for the Soda Bread and Pork Chops with Sweet and Sour Peppers recipes alone. Jamie Oliver's are quirky and written with the same boyish exuberance that he displays on tv. Giada de Laurentis has knack for describing recipes so that you can almost taste the food before you even hit the kitchen which is great because I love Italian food. That covers my top favourites from my shelf. The list goes on and on and on. I am truly relieved that there are others that read their cook books with the same passion as other books. It truly is a great way to gain insight into what you are cooking or baking and an opportunity to learn from the masters. Great question by the way!
Phoenix98

Post by Phoenix98 »

I had no idea that people actually read recipe books. I always thought it would be like reading a phone directory. The world of books is simply greater than I had realized, thanks to this forum.

(not sarcasm, BTW)
Token conservative
MelMariah
Currently Reading: A Head Full of Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by MelMariah »

I read them and try to cook as many as possible in there.
Please somebody recommend some good Indian cookbooks??
I love Asian and sweets the best. Although I don't cook much I do have a collection of recipe books.
Ant
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Ant »

Ashamed to say, never looked at one. Can't stand cooking....just like the eating.
Cooking is something someone else does, and I'm willing to pay so no problem. :lol:
Penny Nanny

Post by Penny Nanny »

Yes, I love to read cookbooks. My very favorite is Never Trust a Skinny Cook.
Riz

Post by Riz »

I don't personally read recipe books, but my mother likes to. she says she likes to see the possibilities of what she could do with the book.
Siolastre

Post by Siolastre »

I've been reading cookbooks for years and love them. I also love the older cook books and household tips books. You get such an amazing glimpse of life back when.

Sharon
Trix9201
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trix9201.html

Post by Trix9201 »

MelMariah wrote:I read them and try to cook as many as possible in there.
I love Asian and sweets the best. Although I don't cook much I do have a collection of recipe books.
Kylie Kwong has an amazing book called "Simple Chinese Cooking". It is easy to prepare, affordable and very authentic. That's one of my husband's favourites.

Gordon Ramsay's "Great Escape" is a very comprehensive Indian cookery book. Recipes range from beginner to expert. All of them are extremely delicious. You are bound to learn a lot from it.
andrewmicky

Post by andrewmicky »

yes, i love to read recipe books
MelMariah
Currently Reading: A Head Full of Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by MelMariah »

Trix9201 wrote:
MelMariah wrote:I read them and try to cook as many as possible in there.
Kylie Kwong has an amazing book called "Simple Chinese Cooking". It is easy to prepare, affordable and very authentic. That's one of my husband's favourites.

Gordon Ramsay's "Great Escape" is a very comprehensive Indian cookery book. Recipes range from beginner to expert. All of them are extremely delicious. You are bound to learn a lot from it.
Thanks! I'll be sure to check them out.. I've heard Kylie Kwong's name around but never really found any books...
I'll have to search around.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I have no interest whatsoever in reading cookery books ... I might look up a cookbook if I needed help with a dish but in honesty I would be much more likely to Google the recipe that look in a cookery book
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”