Review: Zodiac Shmodiac by A.B Syed

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Semmy
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-semmy.html
Latest Review: "Zodiac Shmodiac" by A. B. Syed

Review: Zodiac Shmodiac by A.B Syed

Post by Semmy »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Zodiac Shmodiac" by A. B. Syed.]

The book starts off with a girl named Carly wondering how she met one of her close friends Libby. The climax of the story itself is how Carly, Libby and their other two close friends, Ally and Karina are given a newspaper to review from a local college. While reading their assigned horoscopes in the newspaper, thinking it was some pseudo-spiritual nonsense, they ignore it. However when things begin to occur within their lives that lead directly to what their horoscopes mentions each day,they being to change their minds and eventually letting it rule their choices and lives.

In the beginning itself I have noticed some improper grammar, a few spelling mistakes and not to mention; bad punctuation. There was even some internet slang used in the book, such as 'LOL' and 'OMG'.

The plot itself is interesting but the way book was written is in my opinion, boring. I didn't even get hooked on the book until I reached chapter eleven, I literally had to struggle through to finish reading each page.

Besides those errors, I don't think the storyline is consistent enough to have an entire book written about how a few girls get scared by their horoscope forecast besides being proved that whatever it mentions actually manifests, nor the fact that the only misfortunes that occurred from taking the forecasts literally was minor incidents such as not finishing their homework; This leads the girls to search for the author of those forecasts, Madame Monica.

However, the girls find themselves in a bit of a shock when instead all they find was a ragged old building with a paper stack maze and a kooky old man instead behind the newspaper, Nightsby.

A few days later this kooky old man goes to the girls school to receive feedback on his newspaper. The girls are also initially surprised when he talks cryptically to their friend Libby and how after that incident, goes missing for days. The ending was certainly a surprise as I hadn't expected it. I'm very fond of mythology in general, especially Greek mythology.

I can honestly say that despite the intriguing plot the author has in mind, it was very poorly written with no consistency at all. There is much room for improvement and a lot of errors made. For instance, the author should have written it in a way that keeps the readers hooked from the beginning rather than three-quarters of the book through. The annoying spelling mistakes, slang and horrible phrasing doesn't do it much justice either.

If I were to give it a rating, I would probably give it 2 out of 4 stars.

Buy "Zodiac Shmodiac" on Amazon
a_b_syed
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-b-syed.html

Post by a_b_syed »

Thank you for this review. I think by 'spelling mistakes' you probably mean the use of 'English' spellings rather than 'American' spellings, other than that, many thanks for taking the time to read and review the book.
Semmy

Post by Semmy »

Hello there, and you're welcome! :)

And no I don't think the mistakes were due to use of 'English' spelling because I've been using 'English' spellings all my life. The slang wasnt 'English' either.
a_b_syed

Post by a_b_syed »

Hello, I've run a spell check on it again for the umpteenth time and could not find anything.
Semmy, I do not want to have any spelling mistakes in my book, so if you have the time, could you kindly point out any and send me in the right direction?
It is a lot to ask and please feel free to ignore this if you do not have the time, but it would help me to improve my work enormously.

Many thanks again for your time,
Semmy

Post by Semmy »

I would love to help :D and no it's not a problem for me at all
trxsale

Post by trxsale »

This article is very good. I like it so much. It is useful, keep working. good job, friends.
a_b_syed

Post by a_b_syed »

Yes, you are right trxsale, it would still be interesting to find out what these spelling mistakes might be. :)
Semmy

Post by Semmy »

A.B syed, I'm currently in the process of reviewing another book. Would you be kind enough to submit a pdf version of your book again to me? So I can check out some of the spelling mistakes and highlight them out :)
a_b_syed

Post by a_b_syed »

Hello, thanks for the quick reply Semmy :) Yes, of course, if it is allowed here, then that is no problem. I just need to work out how to do it.
Thanks again :)
Semmy

Post by Semmy »

Could you send me a PM if that's alright? Thank you :3

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”