City of Women (historical novel) - my review

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
taravanh
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taravanh.html

City of Women (historical novel) - my review

Post by taravanh »

Here is a review I wrote for City of Women by David R. Gillham

Sigrid Schroder is a married, German woman whose husband is away fighting in WWII. Sigrid lives in Berlin with her mother-in-law with whom she has a strained relationship. Egon, Sigrid's secret lover, is a Jewish man who is hiding. As her love for Egon grows, Sigrid begins to view her world from different eyes. She soon discovers secrets of several different neighbors and is thrust into a world she never knew existed. Will Sigrid maintain her duty as a German soldier's working wife, or will she risk everything to help Egon and other Jews?

This historical novel is a nail-biting, twists at the turn of each page, cannot put down book! Exceptionally realistic and true to the times, David Gillham has created a masterpiece, giving us a look into the life of an average woman living in Berlin during WWII.

I've read many Non-Fiction books and memoirs from the WWII era and have a lot of knowledge on the subject. This is the first fiction book from the time period I've had the pleasure of reading and it left me wanting similar books!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”